Thursday, June 17, 2021

A Few Benefits of the Writing Life by Marilyn Levinson

Writing mystery novels requires time, dedication, and problem-solving. We authors spend a good deal of time alone as we work on a manuscript. But there's a sense of satisfaction when we finally reach The End. After a few bouts of editing we have a finished product in our hands . . . along with some other benefits.

1. I'm constantly learning about new topics. Sometimes I'm no further than half a sentence into a new chapter when I realize I need to research what I'm about to write. And so I turn to Google and read up on the topic. It could be what to serve at a wedding breakfast; what's involved when a building undergoes renovations; what are the laws of adoption in a particular state; or a slow-working poison that's accessible to the public. (Remember, this is for a mystery.)

2. My non-writing friends think I'm a computer whiz though I'm not. All I do is sorta keep up-to-date on social media. I have to, in order to promote my books. I'm on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest. Not so much on Instagram and not at all on TikTok. But I send out newsletters, do Author Takeovers, participate on conference panels, take part in listservs, speak at book clubs. I blog, have virtual tours, am interviewed on web-radio and webcasts. I'm always learning what's new out there when it comes to communicating with readers. And there's always something new to master, be it a new version of Facebook or some new venue.

3. My mind is constantly challenged. That includes being savvy about new venues of selling my books. Two of my books are with a new company called Scream that sells e-versions of the books, chapter by chapter via coins. Coins? There's quite a learning curve, but I'm sure I'll master it.

4. Friendship and camaraderie. A strong sense of camaraderie exists among mystery writers. Writers are generous people and we help our fellow wordsmiths. It's reassuring to know I'm only an email away from having any writing-related question answered. I've met some of my writing friends at conferences; some I've met online and may never meet in person. Regardless, the bond is forged. 

One of my greatest joys is hearing from readers. When they let me know they love my books and can't wait to read the next one, I'm spurred on to write the next one because bringing pleasure to one's readers is what we writers do.

5. Writing keeps me occupied. During COVID, so many of my non-writing friends would tell me they were bored. And say how lucky I was to have a new book to write and be involved online with all the people in my writing life. Though writing is a solitary occupation, these days we're also writing emails, Facebook comments, and blogs--all forms of communication. I suppose it's a form of socialization, which mental health experts say is important. And all that plotting and editing and promoting help keep our minds alert.





10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this. So true that being a writer keeps us active and engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good round-up. Thanks to social media and zoom sessions, I met more writers during the pandemic than I had in the years prior to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to imagine being bored as a writer -- except when hunting down pesky uses of "when" or "so." Even that doesn't last long and rewriting those sentences is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kait, Margaret, and Jim~
    I think we might be among the busiest people on social media. I agree, Jim: There's no time to be bored. And I'm always finding new ways of connecting with readers and fellow writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing is one of the few endeavors that may have actually benefited from improved opportunities during the pandemic. I will still be glad when we can put it behind us, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Kathleen. All that zooming and on-line meetings. I'm hoping that we'll still be able to do some of that in the future, and have the option to choose between attending a conference and taking part in it virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so involved with writing a book to deadline and family activities that I mentally escaped most of the mental stress of being confined. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can agree with every one of your points, and I'll add another. While you are doing something creative and constructive and valuable with your time and energy, there is no time to do things that are frivolous, petty, or unhealthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace,
    Another benefit! We're kinda used to being confined.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saralyn,
    That's so true. But we have to remember to get up from the computer and stretch. I found myself taking Zoom yoga and aerobics classes during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete