Sunday, June 27, 2021

Story Ripening by Annette Dashofy

Over the years, I’ve picked up tidbits of writing advice from hundreds of sources. Whether it’s an organized writing conference or workshop or merely an informal lunch with fellow writers, I always walk away with something. 

I’ve carried around one such tidbit for decades and wish I could remember who to credit it to. The speaker compared starting a book with growing tomatoes. The story starts as a bud. The idea blossoms and begins to bear fruit. The author said the idea would grow but advised against putting words to the page until the idea was fully ripe, bursting from its skin, demanding to be told. 


I understood the sentiment. Back then, I even managed to apply it. But then publication happened and along with it, contractual deadlines to be met.

While I never completely forgot the tomato metaphor, I no longer had the luxury of letting an idea simmer long enough to be considered “ripe.” More often than not, I’d type Chapter One on the page and hope the ideas would come. They did, of course, but they often didn’t reach ripe status until multiple revisions.


And that's okay. When there's a contract and a deadline, we have to be professional enough to get the work done regardless.


Currently, I’m well ahead of schedule with my only contracted novel. A new series proposal that my agent has been shopping has garnered some lovely rejections. (I focus on the “lovely” part, but let’s face it—they’re still rejections.) So, it’s become clear I need to come up with another proposal. 

Part of me thinks the rejections of the previous proposal might have to do with the characters not being fleshed out enough in my mind and therefore on the page. 


This time, I’ve slowed down (probably much to my agent’s chagrin) and have been allowing the characters to fill out. I’ve been letting the story simmer in my brain. 


I’ve been letting the whole thing ripen on the vine.


Yes, I’ve been putting words on the page. Scribbled notes in my journal. A character list in Excel. The villain’s backstory in a Scrivener folder. But I’ve resisted opening Word and typing “Chapter One.” Wait, I’ve thought. It’s not quite ripe yet. 

Side note: I do have a garden and I do struggle to wait until the tomatoes are fully ripe there too. I blame the groundhogs and the hornworms. It’s maddening to finally pick that beautiful red tomato only to find it half-eaten. But that’s for another blog. 


Last week, I couldn’t hold back any longer. I knew the story was ready. If I waited even one more day, that tomato’s skin would’ve split wide open. I typed “Chapter One,” hit enter twice, and the words poured onto the page. It was amazing.


Does any of this mean I’ll find a publisher for the new proposal any sooner? Probably not. If it happens, you’ll hear about it! Either way, I don’t think I’ll be able to blame the rejections on having rushed the story or the characters. 

What about you? Do you start without a clear idea of what’s going on? Or do you allow a new project, writing or otherwise, to ripen before diving in?

 

 

13 comments:

  1. As near as I can tell, my mind only works when it has a problem to solve. What if, is an insufficient problem. I need to have written 100,000 words (only a few of which will be the right words), leave plot holes, incomplete characterization, inconsistent setting and THEN my mind kicks in and starts to come up with solutions. It's a very inefficient process and I have discussed this with my brain. The brain, however, does not consider it a worthy problem to solve.

    Best of luck with your new manuscript and your current proposal, Annette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do let characters and situations ripen. I think of it as simmering on a back burner, the meat more tender, the flavors more mellow and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, everyone's brain works differently. And thank you!

    Margaret, exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right that we are continually learning from various sources, and we arrive at the "finished products" in different ways.

    I hope your new proposal finds a suitable home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Annette, with your proposal. I know it must be difficult to leave the characters in your current series and move to another "family" of characters. And it would feel like moving to another family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, I'll still be writing Zoe and Pete and the gang. I'm just hoping to add another series to my schedule. It's a different new "family" that doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

    Didn't want to get frantic emails from Zoe's fans. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you the best with the new "family," but glad Zoe and Pete will remain. I, too, believe i ripening of ideas..... slowly, surely, the mind works in different ways... but eventually, we all come out with something. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annette, I’m struggling with that very problem now.
    You will come up with a proposal that works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Susan. I'm really excited about this one. In fact, this morning, I came up with an idea for the second book! I think I need to focus on the first one right now though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annette,
    I think our minds work both ways—we're creatitve when we have deadlines. Somehow the ideas we need come as we write, even if they need some modification later on. And starting a new project has its own demands. Your new one sounds like it's on its way. I've no doubt it will be published!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Marilyn. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete