Monday, June 28, 2021

ESCAPES by Nancy L. Eady

I love mysteries, of course, or I wouldn’t want to write them. I read some mysteries for the fun of solving the “whodunit” puzzle. But I read series for more than that. The series I most enjoy create places and people so vivid that they become friends I can drop in on whenever I want.


It’s hard to say what makes a series magical to me. One of the first series I fell in love with was the Nero Wolfe mysteries. Archie Goodwin, Mr. Wolfe (only his best friend, Marko Vukcic, would ever call him “Nero”), and their supporting cast, which includes Fritz, the cook and butler, Saul Panzer, private detective extraordinaire, and a few others are very real to me. The brownstone building with the orchid greenhouse on the top is one of my favorite haunts. I was in New York City on business once and tracked down the address where Nero Wolfe is supposed to live. The address is nothing like Nero Wolfe’s habitat. That’s okay with me. The New York City Archie moves around in is a New York City I will never see but visit constantly.


Two of my newer series favorites are written by co-bloggers here at Writers Who Kill:  the Sarah Blair series, by Debra Goldstein, and the Haunted Library, by Allison Brook, aka Marilyn Levinson. Debra’s series takes place in a contemporary suburb of Birmingham, Alabama. I recognize the places and people which remind me of places and people I see in the real world. And who can’t love a “cook of convenience,” whose highest culinary achievement was the recipe, “Jell-O in a Can.” Top that off with the fact that Sarah is an animal lover with both a Siamese Alpha cat named Rahrah and a dog named Fluffy. Now there is someone I can’t help but enjoy getting to know. My only beef with Sarah is the fact that she refuses to even consider her friend and boss, Harlan Endicott, as a potential dating partner. But since the series continues, I can hope!


The librarian main character, Carrie, in Marilyn’s series is someone I relate to differently. Until book 1, she had been an itinerant wanderer, but with the help of the library’s resident ghost, Evelyn, she has settled down in one place as the librarian in charge of programs. Book by book I enjoy watching her rebuild her life and many of her relationships. And the idea that small towns exist in Connecticut fascinates me. I tend to picture the Northeast United States as one big city from Washington D.C. up to Boston, except for bucolic Vermont.


I am a little OCD with series. When a new book comes out, I start at book 1 and read through the end of the latest book. It can be quite time-consuming when reading series like Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series and Bobbi Holmes’s Haunting Danielle series, both of which have over twenty books in them. It’s worth it to escape to the worlds created by each of my favorite series’ authors.

And who knows? Maybe one day I will find THE enchanted bookmark or page or gizmo that will let me step into the pages of my favorite books and meet my friends in person. I think they’d be happy to see me. 

9 comments:

  1. I am a fan of series as well. Given Rex Stout started Nero Wolfe in 1934, I wonder what the NYC address he lived in looked like back then. When I used "real" houses for my protagonist, I always moved them to a different street and either a vacant lot or between two actual building numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read the next book in Daniel Silva's series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Nero Wolfe stories, too. Isn’t it great to find a series to immerse yourself in? You mention two great ones. Last year, I discovered Greg Hurwitz’ Orphan X series and now anxiously anticipate each new novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of many series. The latest I've gotten hooked on is Louise Penny's Three Pines series - I love visiting with the characters, they're like old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Micki Browning's Jo Wyatt series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My two favorites are Julia Spencer Fleming's Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series and Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire series. I love escaping into those two places and visiting with the characters who live there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books that are so engrossing that when I look up form the pages, I'm surprised that I'm sitting in my living room, not in the midst of the action.

    Right now I'm rereading Ann Cleeve's Vera series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy,
    Thank you!
    Jim, you'll have trouble finding it... different addresses/streets were used. It is one of the inconsistencies found in the books although the same house is described.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy,
    Thank you so much! So glad you're enjoying the Haunted Library series. Writing series is fun. I love reading them as well.

    ReplyDelete