Saturday, June 12, 2021

My First (And Probably Only) BookTok by Jennifer J. Chow

I feel like I’m always a little behind on the social media train. Way back when I first learned about Twitter, I hesitated. How many people would really want to tweet? Guess I should’ve jumped on the bandwagon earlier.

 

Another social media I’m hesitant to try is TikTok. I have a hard time with the energetic pace of the moving images in the short videos. On the other hand, TikTok is very popular. As of May 2020, it had over two billion downloads and boasted over eight hundred million monthly active users. 

 

It also has a strong bookish community, BookTok. These people are highly authentic in their videos and do not filter out their emotions. In fact, TikTok users crying over books have led to huge sales for a few book titles.  

 

A lot of the focus in the BookTok community is on YA books. This makes sense because many users are either in their teens or are young adults. They’re definitely rising influencers, and now you can even find BookTok tables in some Barnes & Noble bookstores.

 

My audiobook narrator for my Sassy Cat Mystery series, Natalie Naudus, also joined TikTok recently. She’s a superstar there, at least by my standards. She’s got over 62,000 followers and 1.2 million likes. Natalie keeps everything real in her short videos and often gives enlightening behind-the-scenes insight into the business of recording books.

 

I got to dip my toe into TikTok by proxy last week. A writer acquaintance of mine offered to make me a BookTok video on her profile. All I had to do was send Stephanie images that tied to the themes in my book. I even got the chance to choose a background song for it. Fun!

 

My Mimi Lee Reads Between the Lines video has garnered 198 views, so nothing stellar. I definitely won’t be having a huge book sales spike from it. Although, truth be told, the books that took off on BookTok earlier were the same ones that had already sold really well when they were first published (think: We Were Liars).




At least I can now say that I have my first #BookTok video. However, it’ll also probably be the end of my adventure with TikTok.

 

What’s your opinion on TikTok or other new social media?



10 comments:

  1. I'm always the last to show up on a new social media platform. So far, I don't think my target audience is on TikTok, so I'll avoid it. For now. Thanks for posting about your experience though, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading about your TikTok adventures, I'm going to avoid it. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked at TikTok and have decided that, at least for the time being, it's beyond my capabilities. I'm glad you tried it & could tell us how you did. I wonder if there are TikTok "facilitators," like there are web masters, who could handle this for a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I haven't tried TikTok, but I'm fascinated by the BookTok concept. Thank you for providing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Thanks for being our guinea pig. I probably won't tik or tok myself, but there are some very clever people out there learning those ropes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Annette! I don't feel so alone now.

    Margaret, you're very welcome!

    KM, I know that people do hire social media experts to help them navigate the unknown.

    Yes, Kait. The BookTok concept is fascinating, and I do respect how they're trying to be authentic.

    Ha, Molly! I'll be the guinea pig. I'm always in awe of those who jump right into the newest stuff, whether it's social media or exciting activities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! another new experience... thanks for the info. Not sure how to translate it to a usage that gets viewed, but you've given me some insight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, Jennifer, this makes my head ache. Trying to keep up gets harder each day. I used to write computer user guides. I no sooner completed and published one when the system changed to something else. I mainly use Facebook because of the age group I write for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, don’t think TikToc is my audience, but it’s good to see you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for reading, Debra!

    Wow, Grace. I can't imagine writing computer user guides. The one true thing about tech is it's always evolving.

    I hear you, Susan. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete