Monday, March 11, 2024

The Vintage Bookshelf: The Mrs. Pollifax Series

By Shari Randall

 

Welcome to another episode of the Vintage Bookshelf. My name is Shari Randall and I enjoy reading books published more than fifty years ago (the current definition of vintage). In this episode, I discuss a favorite series protagonist, one of the original “silver sleuths,” Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Emily Pollifax.

 


As aa reader who falls into the “vintage” category, (not quite antique yet, thank you), I am especially pleased to have made the acquaintance of Mrs. Emily Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, a widow in her sixties who satisfied her longing for adventure by taking on the occasional undercover assignment for the CIA.

 

When we meet Emily in her first adventure, The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (1966), she’s sharing with her garden club the night-blooming cereus that she’s managed to grown in a box on her fire escape. Despite this impressive horticultural feat and her forays into yoga and karate, Emily longs for more and she decides to write to the CIA to ask for a job. Through a (less than believable) mix up (hang in there, it’s worth it), she’s hired. Her CIA handler, Carstairs, believes that her resourceful and improvisational personality, disguised by her ladylike gloves and hats, makes her the perfect spy. Her adventures take her to geopolitical hot spots like Hong Kong, Morocco, Sicily, Mexico, and more. She goes undercover in carnivals, souks, and sanitariums. She’s held at gunpoint, knocked out with chloroform, and kidnapped numerous times, but with sturdy common sense and gumption she vanquishes experienced foreign agents, art forgers, and a cast of other bad actors.

 

Keep in mind, Mrs. Pollifax operates in a time when the Cold War was hot. Yes, as with all books on the vintage bookshelf, one is very occasionally jolted by attitudes and language that were acceptable at the time the book was written, but no longer. Never fear, Mrs. Pollifax maintains an open-hearted and broad-minded attitude that has insured her welcome on our bookshelves today. 

 

Dorothy Gilman

It’s particularly pleasing to see how popular these books have remained. There are websites and social media groups devoted to the series. The name of a popular mystery review site run by Mark Baker, Carstairs Considers, pays homage to Mrs. Pollifax’s CIA handler.

 

If you think Mrs. Pollifax bears some resemblance to Riley Rhodes, the protagonist of my Ice Cream Shop Mysteries (written with my super-secret pen name of Meri Allen) you would be correct - and very perceptive. Riley’s background as a former CIA librarian/occasional asset was inspired by Mrs. Pollifax.

 


Here are the Mrs. Pollifax books in order:


The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (AKA Mrs. Pollifax, Spy)

The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax

The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax

A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax

Mrs. Pollifax on Safari

Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station

Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha

Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle

Mrs. Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish

Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief

Mrs. Pollifax Pursued

Mrs. Pollifax and the Lion Killer

Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist

Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled1990)))

 

Who’s your favorite “silver sleuth?” Let me know in the comments.

 

Shari Randall is the author of the beloved Lobster Shack Mystery series and, as Meri Allen, the Ice Cream Shop Mysteries. You can see what she’s up to on Facebook (@sharirandallauthor) and Instagram (@meriallenbooks).

 

 

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! As you know, I love this series. Mrs. Pollifax is so charming. The stories are improbable, but they somehow work. Mainly, I think, because we want them to work. We want Mrs. Pollifax is be successful, no matter what the odds are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read this series so had no idea why you'd named your book review site this. How fantastic!

      Delete
    2. I remember my wonderful surprise when I read your blog the first time, Mark. I was thrilled to find another fan of Mrs. Pollifax! I thought I was the only one who remembered the books. Shari, who sometimes pops up as Anonymous

      Delete
  2. Mrs. Pollifax is one of my early favorites, too. Now I have to check the list and make sure I haven't missed any.

    I'm presently re-reading Dick Francis, another old favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to dive into the Dick Francis series. So many people adore it. Shari

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting series, Shari. And thanks for putting them in order. I love to read from the first to the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Susan. I'm the same! Shari

      Delete
  4. Agatha Raisin books. And Billie in KILLERS OF A CERTAIN AGE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agatha! I've read every one. I stopped when she passed away. Should I continue? Shari

      Delete
  5. I had an aunt who introduced me to the joys of Mrs. Pollifax at the same time as Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your aunt! And Mrs. 'arris was a fun movie! Shari

      Delete
  6. How fun that your Riley Rhodes was inspired by Mrs. Polifax. I've never read her series, but you have me intrigued. My favorite senior sleuth is probably MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin. And I just might start calling myself "vintage" from now on. (But not yet antique, LOL. You make me laugh, Shari!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think I'm way past vintage ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I loved Mrs. Pollifax! It's been a while since I read the books and I don't think I ever read them all. Time to binge! Thanks, Shari.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Mrs. Polifax novels, especially in audio, read by Barbara Rosenblat. One of my biggest thrills was meeting Barbara at Malice Domestic last year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 11, 2024 at 12:16 PM

    I've never read these--but now I have to! I think I'll try them on audio based on Grace's recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother and I both loved Mrs. Pollifax! Thanks for the good memories, Shari.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read all of the Mrs. Pollifax series- I loved them

    ReplyDelete