Sunday, March 3, 2024

The Importance of Yet – A Pep Talk by Molly MacRae

 

Earlier this week my daughter-in-law and I were talking about her latest painting. She paints and draws beautiful, small landscapes and waterscapes (some with exquisite mermaids) that always make me say “Wow!” With this painting, she’s working on a much larger scale. The dimensions are big enough to be daunting, almost paralyzing. That isn’t stopping her, but she’s used to finishing a piece so quickly that it goes from concept to “Wow!” in a day or two. So when she showed me her work in progress, she apologized, saying “It doesn't look like much.” At that point we looked at each other and added the word that sentence needed to finish it properly—yet. It doesn’t look like much yet.

Isn’t that the way so many things start out? Maybe most things. Maybe everything. An acorn doesn’t look like an oak tree. A tiny, red, squalling baby doesn’t look like an astrophysicist. Someone who doesn’t cook might stare into the refrigerator and say (some of them whine) there’s nothing for supper. A cook will see the possibilities and turn them into really good soup.



And think of the projects that reach a point where they look worse than they did to begin with and before they reach the point of looking just right. The horror of cleaning and reorganizing a workspace can be like that. You have to drag things out, move them around, toss them, heap them, and generally make a mess. Why? Because situations are often darkest before the dawn. Because you’re not done yet.

This applies to writing, too. A story or book is nonexistent to begin with. Then it’s in the writer’s head. Then it might be a scrawl on a napkin. And so on and so forth with lots of opportunities to worry that it doesn’t look like much along the way. There are also those times when the work in progress looks absolutely #@%#-ing horrible. Then the writer and the work need time away from each other to cool down (and maybe a good cry, some slashing and burning, a pair of scissors and roll of tape, and a drink) before getting back to the job at hand.

In the crime writing field, the concept of yet is important for our amateur sleuths and detectives to understand, too. There might come a point in their investigation where the villain has the upper hand, there’s no way through the dark, their lives are in jeopardy, and they lose all hope. If you communicate with your protagonists in some way, give them a pep talk. Don’t let them despair (unless you’re writing noir and then despair might be the end goal). Let them know they just haven’t solved the crime yet.  

Readers: What activity, craft, or art do you practice that looks worse before it looks just right?


15 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 3, 2024 at 2:37 AM

    Writing definitely! Cooking anything is the other, but my creations rarely get beyond the yet stage. Thankfully, Joel is either a good sport or by now oblivious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like to cook, there are always recipes that don't make it to yet. My family is mostly complimentary anyway.

      Delete
  2. Certainly refers to a lot of things, including my writing.

    Then there are all the activities that create a mess before they turn into something of beauty. Spring gardening comes to mind, when the soil is muddy and bare, but the seeds and bulbs are just below the surface, waiting display their charms. It doesn't help that I often have tools, etc, spread all over before I clean up.

    Cooking joins the list. I am not a neat cook. When I'm in the throes of a fancy meal preparation, the kitchen looks like a tornado came through. But the results will be tasty.

    And holiday decorating! With boxes and wrapping and tinsel spread all over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 3, 2024 at 10:47 AM

    This is such a fabulous post, Molly! So uplifting and encouraging—and so very true. Yet is a little word with great power....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! Yet reminds me of the classic whine from a backseat "Are we there yet?" It's good to remind ourselves to enjoy the journey along the way to yet.

      Delete
  4. What a great post, Molly. I love the fact that tiny words often pack the most power. Frankly, those are the words I often change or think about when I'm editing. Right now, I'm in the thinking up the new plot stage for a new Endurance Mystery. It's still pretty dark and shadowy, and I can't quite see all the connections that will make it work. YET the day is coming when the pieces will connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That day WILL come! Thanks for your kind words, Susan.

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful! I throw pots from time to time – that lump of wet, sticky clay between your hands bears little resemblance to the finished project, but the finished project is under your hands the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter taught me the basics of photo editing. Often a photo of a single tulip will be bulb catalogue meh. But when I tweak and crop it, it's magically transformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I love your pictures on Facebook, Margaret.

      Delete
  7. I love this post! It's such an important thing to remember and I will try to say it when I'm at the peak of my manuscript being a mess, which always happens around the 2-month into it mark. "Yet" will be my mantra to keep me going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I think of myself as not quite there YET. Not sure I'll ever achieve it, the ideal "me," but I won't quit trying. (Judy Post)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exactly where I am right now with the current wip! I am going to write YET in big letters on a piece of paper and tape it to my computer!

    ReplyDelete