Friday, March 8, 2024

Send in the Ghost by Susan Van Kirk

 

Many well-known novels have a common element: a ghost or ghosts. The list is extensive, but here are a few that come easily to mind: Toni Morrison’s Beloved, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, Alice Sebold’s The Lovely Bones, Macbeth by William Shakespeare, or the short story, The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde.

I suppose famous authors could throw in a ghost or two just for fun, but it is more likely their ghosts have specific roles to play in the elements of their novels. Sometimes they remind characters of certain feelings like guilt. Other times ghosts play a major part in the theme, as in A Christmas Carol. In Macbeth, a ghost is a prodigious player in moving the plot forward. In other words, ghosts are generally used for a specific literary purpose. When The Lovely Bones came out, readers were delighted that the ghost was actually the story’s unique narrator.


Back in 2017 when I was writing A Death at Tippitt Pond, I created a ghostly presence, but not actually a ghost. The protagonist, Beth Russell, discovered far too late that her birth mother was Melanie Tippitt, now a cold case murder victim who died shortly after Beth was born. As she struggles to discover what happened to this mother she never knew, Beth feels Melanie’s presence in Tippitt House. The scent of Chantilly perfume, Melanie’s favorite fragrance, permeates the room when Melanie needs to warn her daughter that danger is near. It also embraces Beth, surrounding her with her mother’s love. And when the ghost accomplishes her mission, the fragrance vanishes.

All right, so I was toying around with possibilities in that story. It was certainly an early preview of my next project.


Now it’s 2024, and my upcoming book, Death in a Ghostly Hue, has a real, bonafide, 100% ghost. His name is Daniel Lowry, and he built the 1870 Lowry Building, which now houses the Adele Marsden Center for the Arts. The executive director, Jill Madison, first sees this ghost in her art center one night when she stops to pick up a book. The ghost is dressed like a gentleman from the 1800s, and when Jill says this is impossible, that he’s been dead for a hundred and twenty-five years or more, he replies, “Alas, I am despondent about that unfortunate occurrence. But I try to make the best of it.” Yes, he’s handsome, funny, and also charming and clever.

I didn’t throw in a ghost just to have fun, although he is pretty funny before all is said and done. This swashbuckling ghost plays a vital role in the plot, theme, and character revelations. But why has this spirit returned to this place and time? I can’t reveal that [the author typed, chuckling with glee and anticipation] but this is definitely a ghost to remember. Death in a Ghostly Hue is the third of the Art Center Mysteries coming out this June from Level Best Books.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're having a good time with your ghost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. He was a Civil War veteran, so he has some tales to tell.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ah, not sure anyone's ever called me that before...

      Delete
  3. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 8, 2024 at 7:41 AM

    When I think of the success of Topper, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, and Ghosts, I see why people react well to witty ghosts interacting with mortals. Can’t wait to read your book. Sounds like a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. I think Jill Madison is a bit attracted to this ghost but, alas, he's dead.

      Delete
  4. Well-done ghosts add an irresistible element to a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. I had a lot of fun creating this guy.

      Delete
  5. I love Mrs. Muir and her ghost, and Topper, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every so often I watch "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir." It never is boring.

      Delete
  6. Ghosts appear in many of my books. In every case, they play an important role in the story and always have a tantalizing link to past events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that, Marilyn, as I composed this blog. You are the queen of ghosts.

      Delete
  7. Sounds delightful. – I'm looking forward to meeting this ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding a ghost sounds like fun. I loved "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things where I'm not sure how this came up in my brain. However, a building that was built in 1870 would seem to hide some secrets. Our art center in town looks out on the Square, and as I look through those second-story windows, I think about what people saw out there in 1870. Dirt streets, buggies and horses, hitching posts, and a fountain that is still there and working. Wow.

      Delete
  9. a witty, fun ghost is always a plus! Sounds like a terrific new book. Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shari. I had a lot of fun writing this one!

      Delete
  10. Yay for the ghost! The sounds great, Susan. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. Nothing like a ghost to liven things up.

    ReplyDelete