Sunday, March 24, 2024

The Villain Speaks by Annette Dashofy

After many months of non-stop writing to meet back-to-back-to-back deadlines, I turned in my latest manuscript to my editor on March first. My next book isn’t due until December, which, for me, is a luxury. Nine months between deadlines! 

It’s a good thing, too, because I’ve pushed so much non-writing “stuff” to the proverbial back burner for so long, I need some time to catch up on those little things like tax prep, annual doctor’s exams, yearly medical tests, and researching the wonderful world of Medicare since I’m fast approaching that age. March, I decided, would be a sabbatical from writing to focus on these matters. 

I’ve done quite well, even managing to slip a home improvement project into the mix. I still have some straggler tasks for this final week, but I think I’ll have that back burner cleared off by April Fool’s Day. 

Or maybe I’m kidding myself and I will be the April Fool. 

Either way, that December deadline is one month closer than it was on March first, so I need to call my muse home from vacation and get back to writing. 

And my writer’s brain is already working on it. 

A week ago, I dug out the proposal I’d sent to my publisher for the next contracted book. This consists of one very generic paragraph. It’s a starting point. I let that paragraph be a seed planted in my brain as I worked on financial reports. Usually, when I do that, my characters begin to discuss the plot amongst themselves and whisper their intentions into the ear of my subconscious. 

Mostly, that’s what’s happening now with one surprising exception. 

While this will be the fourth Detective Honeywell Mystery, Matthias Honeywell is keeping quiet. So is Emma Anderson. The characters who are growing progressively louder are my secondary characters, one of whom has never appeared on the page. Apparently, Detective Sergeant Cassie Malone’s veterinarian husband, Dr. Shawn, is going to be a major player if he has his way. Not what I had planned, but okay, I’ll run with it. 

The character who’s speaking the loudest though is The Villain. Or maybe he’s the one I’m listening to the most. I don’t know his name or even if he’s a man or a woman. All I know is he has a grudge and plans to exact revenge. 

Okay, to be honest, I know a bit more than that, but I’m not telling. The Villain will only share his secrets if I promise to keep them for now. 

One of my favorite mystery-writing tricks comes from Erle Stanley Gardner of Perry Mason fame. I can’t find the exact wording, so I’m paraphrasing, but he advised writers to plot from the viewpoint of the villain and write from the perspective of the protagonist. It’s a great tool. The villain is behind the scenes, driving the plot, from planning and carrying out the murder to covering it up and possibly helping misdirect the sleuth. 

Right now, I’m carrying my notepad with me wherever I go so that when The Villain starts to share his plans, I can jot them down. Hopefully, once I hear all he has to say, I’ll know exactly what Matthias and Emma will encounter once I type “Chapter One” on the page. 

14 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 24, 2024 at 4:05 AM

    I tend to take a month between books to read and relax (at least I say that) because as I relax, the story grows in my mind. I hadn’t thought about it from the villain’s perspective, but it is the villain’s motivation that is what is working in my mind. Congrats on juggling your two series and now having time to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debra. And enjoy listening to your villain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard that tidbit from Erle Stanley Gardner. It makes sense in a detective story with the villain still around. I'll have to keep that in mind for my next novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I heard it was life changing for me and the way I write.

      Delete
  4. Although we think we are the creators, often it's the characters who are in charge of the story, and we are relegated to a stenographer role who has to sort out the whole thing, but really has little to say in how the whole thing goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. I've hard a hard time explaining this to my husband.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful insight. I’m looking forward to visiting with Emma, Matthias, and Cassie. So glad that Shawn is getting noisy.

    I remember you speaking about always knowing what your villain is up to no matter how far removed from the page they might be. It was some of the best advice I’ve received from a craft point of view. I owe you thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Kait! It was an ah-HA moment for me too, when I first heard it.

      Delete
  6. This is marvelous, Annette. Lots of fun getting a peek at your process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 24, 2024 at 3:41 PM

    Great post, Annette! Happy you got some "catch up on life" time, but also thrilled you've started writing again. Let the villain speak!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I made by day-by-day calendar for the 3 weeks of my WIP, I put the activities and whereabouts of the main character on each day, then added the same for the villains. It made for some juggling when they both were in the public library at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Margaret, I love that idea. Timelines always give me fits.

      Delete