Thursday, March 21, 2024

Some Observations on Publishing My First Novel Many Years Later by Marilyn Levinson

 I was thrilled when a new boutique publisher recently asked to publish the very first novel I'd ever written. Come Home to Death is a suspense novel. The opening scene came to me in a dream while my family was vacationing out at Montauk on Long Island, and I can still envision my heroine being chased by a thug who is about to tell her that her husband owes his boss a huge gambling debt he'd better pay up. Though I transformed the scene from a beach to a coffee shop in upstate New York, the terror and shock still remain.

When I wrote this book many years ago, I had no idea how to categorize it. I sent it out to editors. It received rejections, though one wrote back to tell me she liked it and would have taken it if that was the kind of book she bought. I revised Come Home to Death a few times over the years, and an editor friend even edited it. Eventually, I stopped sending it out and let it lie peacefully amid the many documents on my computer.

I thought the manuscript was in pretty good shape when Kelly Moran of Rowan Prose Press offered to publish it. The last four or five books that I've written have required little editing, and so I wasn't prepared for the many issues she and the editor raised, issues that needed to be addressed in order to make this a really good story for readers to enjoy. However, I agreed with every one of them.

It took time to go through the manuscript to make the many subtle changes required, such as making my protagonist less headstrong about walking into danger so that she doesn't come across as brainless. I also had to make a character change early on in the novel. But at this point I'm quite adept at adding and changing text. Most of what I originally wrote has remained. I only clarified some things and made others more plausible.

I was glad I had the opportunity to edit and revise Come Home to Death, and to finally put it into readers' hands on April 30th. It showed me how much I've learned about writing fiction over the years. It validated my belief that learning to write fiction is a process, and the more we write the better we become.


17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on brining your first baby to full-term. Knowing it took years makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Marilyn!

    Death By Equine, my standalone that I indie pubbed during the pandemic, was much the same--something I wrote long ago that underwent many many MANY rounds of rewrites. We're both poster kids for never giving up on old manuscripts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old manuscripts just need a few tweaks.:)

      Delete
  3. Congrats! So happy your first book found a publishing home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I'm happy, too.

      Delete
  4. What a nice development! Your hard work being open-minded to revisions/editing paid off big time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 21, 2024 at 8:42 AM

    So proud of you for bringing this book from the drawer to publication. It definitely shows. Congrats on this new chapter in your writing career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. We learn so much as we write more books and stories. I was happy to impart that in my first novel.

      Delete
  6. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 21, 2024 at 12:27 PM

    I love this! None of our creative efforts have to be lost—just repurposed. When the time is right... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From drawer to publication - this is wonderful, Marilyn! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Looking forward to Come Home to Death. Amazing how much we learn to strengthen our work over the years.

    ReplyDelete

  9. This might open up a new audience for you, since it's different than the cozies and kids' books you've done. Hooray for Rowan Prose Press! And hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working with RPP. You will too! And it's fun delving into other genres.

      Delete
  10. This turned out to be a very encouraging post for me, Marilyn. I'm many, many steps behind you on the journey to publication but it's good to know that the steps I'm walking right now are adding up to improvement and growth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Marilyn. I look forward to being a fellow RPP author with you. There's something about your finding the right home for Come Home to Death, so many years later, that gives me inspiration to just keep writing.

    ReplyDelete