Monday, March 25, 2024

Update: A Room of My Own - Sort of by Nancy L. Eady

Last month, I wrote about getting a room of my own for writing. The transformation of the study into a desk area where I can write is now (almost) complete. This picture shows how it looked before: 


This is how it looks now:


The picture above was taken from the same angle as the original picture. This next picture shows the room taken showing the front of the desk:


I admit we took a short cut; we found the desk online (much assembly required) for the same price as it would have cost us to buy the wood for the desk, so instead of spending a few weeks building a desk, my husband and daughter spent about six hours putting it together. My daughter claimed the original study table, and there is only room for two chairs in her room, so we have two extra chairs just hanging around. Nor is the window normally painted; my daughter did that as part of her Easter decorations. She swears the paint will wash off easily. 

The two dogs in the carriers are not statues; they are two of the reasons the room is only sort of a room of my own. Daisy is on the left and is in the carrier simply because she likes to hang out there. Max is on the left and he is in the carrier because my daughter put him there to keep him out of trouble while she took care of something else. Apparently, my husband and I are not qualified to do that on our own, in spite of having raised seven dogs over the years and counting. But that’s a story for another day. (Penny, the third dog, is on the couch with Mark, like any sensible dog would be.) 

The monitors still need to be moved onto the desk. I have waited to do so because Mark likes the desk as a place to work, also, and I haven’t needed them yet. That’s another reason the room is only sort of a room of my own. I do have to share it some. I also intend for it to double as a table for my sewing machine when necessary. 

But I’m pleased with the improvement, and I think the room looks nice. Let’s hope inspiration lies within the depths of the desk in spades! 


14 comments:

  1. It's a lovely space, Nancy, whether or not it's exclusively yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 25, 2024 at 5:40 AM

    Even sharing the room and its warmth, it truly reflects you. Enjoy! Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fine room for creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm looking forward to using it for sewing too.

      Delete
  4. Congrats! The dog cages complement the design. I work next to two large dog beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my dogs! They help the creative process greatly.

      Delete
  5. A comfortable, attractive (by whatever your definition of attractive is--mine includes lots of clutter) is an asset so you can concentrate on your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Nancy! I had wondered about the missing monitors. So nice to have two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're in the spare bedroom, waiting to be hooked up to a computer.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Nancy, on having a room of your own.

    ReplyDelete