Friday, March 22, 2024

Standing Up Again by Nancy L. Eady

My first job after college in 1987 was as a high school math teacher in the poorest county in North Carolina. We knew it was the poorest county in North Carolina because the second poorest county used the fact that we were poorer as a recruiting point for its teachers. Coming to it as a new bride from a normal middle-class background, I was in for a rude awakening. 

The high school consisted of a handful of buildings scattered across the grounds, including a few trailers. There was no air conditioning, so the heat and humidity in rural North Carolina during the first month of school, August, and the last two or three weeks of school, May-June, made classrooms miserable. The teen pregnancy rate was through the roof. Nor was education a priority for some parents. The principal told a story about having caught one child skipping school and calling his parents. The parents swore up and down that the child wasn’t skipping school; he was, instead, home sick with the parents. During the entire telephone conversation, the student was sitting in front of the principal. I had less sympathy for those parents than I did for those struggling to make enough money to pay for food and electricity; more than once, an older high school child would be kept home to take care of younger sick siblings so the parent wouldn’t miss work. 

Since I was the new kid on the block, I was assigned the general math classes. According to the curriculum of the time, I was expected to take the ninth through twelfth graders assigned to my classes from basic addition and subtraction up to pre-algebra and statistics in one year. And to add to the difficulty factor, I was a “floater.” A “floater” does not have a classroom of her own; she goes from room to room as the school day progresses, using rooms when other teachers have planning periods. So, I normally was setting up while my students were arriving. 

Like any other high school students (and teenagers in general), the students tested me. The testing caused two problems. First, I was brand new and figuring out how to keep control over my classes at the same time the students were trying to wrest control from me. Second, I am not by nature a disciplinarian. I finally came up with a disciplinary system where students who disrupted my classes had their name written on the board as a warning, then a check if they kept it up and then finally, if they earned a second check, I put them out of the classroom. The theory behind this was to remove the disrupter from the classroom so the other students could learn. 

That first semester is a blur except for one sharp, painful memory. One fine fall day, C. pushed me to my limit, as well as garnering the required number of checks, and I ordered him out of the classroom. C. was a giant, and I had assigned him a seat at the front. In response to my order, C. stood up and began meandering to the door at the end of the classroom as slowly as he could. Fed up, I stepped up behind him and pushed him, telling him to get out. As soon as I moved my hands away, I burst out in sobs. 

Somehow, someone got the principal or assistant principal to the room, and someone took me to the teacher’s lounge. To help calm me down, someone also got my husband on the phone, then gave me some time to myself. To this day, I doubt anyone but my husband understood why I was crying; not because of anything C. had done, but because I had put my hands on a student, and that was wrong. More than anything else, I wanted the earth to swallow me at that moment and to never have to set foot in the high school again. 

But I did. I went back to my job the next day, and then the next day, and then the next week, and then the next month until suddenly I had been there three years and the powers-that-be gave me tenure. And it is the getting back up again that is the point of my story. 

I have some wonderful memories from those three years, and even now have students I still remember fondly. I did a lot of growing up and learning during that time, too. All of which I would have missed had I given up.

As writers, we are all burdened with those days as well. The days when we get rejection letters for the manuscript we sweated bullets over for years. The days when we feel like we are sending queries endlessly into black holes that are siphoning off our souls. The days when someone gives us a particularly brutal critique. The days when we look in the mirror and wonder why we do what we do and whether it will ever be worthwhile. When those days occur, the writers who make it, the ones who end up with published books and reader followings, admit that they have been knocked down, but they stand up, again. 

It’s okay to be in a place where you are discouraged about writing. It’s what you do the next day that will determine your success. 

It is a matter of record that my crying jag became legendary at the high school. It is also a matter of record that C. was never in any of my classes again. 


14 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 22, 2024 at 2:21 AM

    You obviously did a lot of right if you received tenure. Same way, your point is made about writers. We have to dust ourselves off and start anew more times than we would often want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In today's social media, there is a lot more sharing about successes than failures. I think that can sometimes be discouraging, which is why I wrote this post. Encouragement from a place of discouragement!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post and great lessons we writers need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I didn't. To be fair, the regular monthly car payment had a lot to do with not being able to give up, either.

      Delete
  4. I taught at the opposite end of the country geographically, inner city Baltimore, then just outside the city (self-contained special education, 7th-grade through age 21, in an alternative school for behavior problems) but I can feel for your experiences. We learn a lot from others, particularly those who are very different from us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you did a lot of good for your students, Nancy. I am so glad you didn't give up. Shari

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was Bear Bryant who said he never learned anything from a game that he won by a landslide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Nancy, for your touching story of your days teaching. Just think of the lives you touched.

    ReplyDelete