Monday, March 4, 2024

Why Cozy Mysteries Make the Perfect Beach Read By Samara Yew

This post is dedicated to all my fellow seasonal readers! As our dreary winter comes to an end, I’m looking forward to the warm, sunny days that are just around the corner. I’m already keeping an eye out for books that I think will make fantastic beach reads, and cozy mysteries tend to check all my boxes.

I love the term beach read. It’s a simple two-word phrase that can mean whatever a reader wants it to. It can mean finding the ideal book to read on the beach, a coastal or vacation-themed book, or just a great summer read. The term has become so popular lately that a definition has even been added to Dictionary.com: “A book, usually fiction, that one might enjoy during a vacation or a day at the beach because it is engaging, entertaining, and easy to read.” 

Some of the features that I look for in a book to add to my beach read TBR (to be read) list are that it takes place in a warm location or during the summer months, preferably it takes place literally on the beach or in a quaint seaside town, but I’ll take any form of vacation or armchair travel as well. I definitely want a book that is lighthearted and humorous, but most importantly, it keeps me engaged from start to finish. I want to be completely lost in an interesting and twisty plot that I just can’t put down.

All that to say, the cozy mystery genre and my perfect beach read checklist have a lot of crossovers.

Another great bonus of choosing a cozy mystery for a beach read is that it is often a shorter read than other fiction genres. This means it can easily be finished during a weekend getaway, or possibly even a day at the beach if you’re a speed reader. You can find out who the killer is before you need to pack up for home. And if you’re on a weeklong sunshine-filled vacation, grab a couple of cozies! Maybe even multiples in a series because they are so binge-able. Since they are smaller books, cozies are also easy to pack into a beach tote or in a carry-on bag for travel.

If travel plans are not in the future or the beach is too far away, cozies are also great to read during a staycation. They’re the perfect companion for reading outside in a comfy lounge chair with a glass of iced tea or strawberry lemonade. They have fantastic descriptions of their settings which make readers feel transported right into the story. I love reading about the small beachy towns that are featured in so many cozies and wanting to jump right into the pages to eat at an ice cream parlor, visit a cozy bed and breakfast, or shop at a local bookshop.

And one final reason why I think cozy mysteries make the perfect beach read is that they all have such gorgeous covers! This helps further immerse me in the stories as I take in the seashore, quaint towns, charming small businesses, or delicious-looking food that are on so many of these covers. Plus, they are very Instagramable, so all the better to show off your beach day with.

What types of books do you think make good beach reads? Which cozy mysteries are on your TBR list?

Samara Yew is a cozy mystery author who writes about adorable bookshops and dead bodies. A full-time mom, full-time dog servant, and part-time writer, Samara lives in British Columbia, Canada, where she can often be found watching Psych reruns. Samara loves to travel, especially visiting her husband’s home country of Singapore or donning Mickey ears in Disneyland. She’s a member of Sisters in Crime, including her local chapter SinC-Canada West, and International Thriller Writers. To keep up to date with all her bookish news, please visit her website at samarayew.com.

 

Buy Link

https://www.azonlinks.com/B0BSKSHZF5

 

4 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 4, 2024 at 7:11 AM

    I feel the same way about cozy mysteries - escape, fun, and a good whodunit makes me use my brain, too. Although I am a little partial to my Sarah Blair series, I dive into any cozy I can get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly time to start looking for summer leisure reading. I think of this kind of book as "travel and waiting room books." They make the train ride, or the wait at the doctor's office, much less tedious. And I keep one in my car, for those times when I'm early) which I tend to be) and am waiting for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call books I read on the road "airplane books." One Daniel Silva thriller lasts the eight hour flight from Cincinnati to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blog Samara. You have hit the beach reads nail directly on the head. I lived in Florida for forty years so I have reverse beach readitis. I love to read deep winter stories in the heat of summer and summer stories in the winter. Even though I’ve moved to Maine, I find my seasonal tastes have remained.

    ReplyDelete