Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Thoughts on Newsletters

By James M. Jackson

Authors are largely responsible for promoting their books and their careers. With limited time (and budget) they want to find effective ways to connect with readers. Blogs, like Writers Who Kill, can work, but with the slash of its corporate pen, Google could kill Blogspot and the 4,400 blogs in our archive. Many experts suggest creating and nurturing a mailing list as one of the few ways to develop an asset that belongs to the author without the threat of corporate interference.

Having watched Amazon, Facebook, X (the social platform formally known as Twitter), TikTok, and other entities authors have relied on to reach readers arbitrarily change rules, ban authors, shut down services, etc., I think the experts are correct that while these platforms have proved useful to many, relying on them may result in a catastrophic business loss over which the author has little control.

Given my bias of disliking others controlling my destiny, I committed to put more effort this year into growing and tending to my newsletter. One of my first steps was to participate in a promotion with a group of thriller/suspense writers. In return for signing up for my newsletter, readers had the chance to receive a free ebook from me and be entered into a grand prize that included free ebooks from all thirty participating authors. The promotion cost $55, which I could earn back if only one of the 400 people who signed up purchased all the books in my series.

I wanted to use this opportunity to understand how the other authors handled their newsletter and learn from their practice. To do that, I signed up for the promotion. I expected to be included on twenty-nine new email lists, and that was my first surprise: So far, a month later, only half have sent me a newsletter. Maybe I will receive a few new ones in March, but this strikes me as a missed opportunity.

Of those who sent me newsletters, the vast majority focused on convincing me to buy their terrific books, usually through one or multiple promotions. Two offered a free book and then immediately went into sales mode. After two or three sales-oriented newsletters, they had written nothing that interested me, and I unsubscribed.

Only three provided a welcoming sequence that emphasized bringing me into their world. They told me a little about themselves: why they write, where they grew up, their pets. They provided information about their writing. Some mentioned what they were reading. One provided interesting background to one of their books. They also had books on offer, but the primary emphasis (it seemed to me) was to create a connection between me and them.

With that information, I learned one author’s stories are not the kind I enjoy. I dropped off her newsletter—no reason to cost her money by remaining a subscriber. The other two I will continue to read and probably buy a book to see if I enjoy their stories.

I provide an “onboarding” sequence for my newsletter subscribers (I call them my Readers Group). Over two and a half weeks, I send six newsletters. Like the two authors whose newsletters I still receive, I include information about myself, my writing, Seamus McCree (my series character), links to either a free novel and short story, and information about the series. At the conclusion, I encourage anyone who doesn’t think they are interested in my kind of writing to unsubscribe.

Given my preferences, it’s no surprise I drop out of the sales-only newsletters and gravitate toward those authors who bring me into their world. But, rather than patting myself on the back because I agree with myself, my question for you is what do you enjoy reading in an author’s newsletter?

If you'd like to join my Readers Group, here's the link to sign up.

* * *

James M. Jackson authors the Seamus McCree series. Full of mystery and suspense, these thrillers explore financial crimes, family relationships, and what happens when they mix. To learn more information about Jim and his books, check out his website, https://jamesmjackson.com.

19 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 5, 2024 at 1:03 AM

    I like the soft sell that comes through human interest. Telling me things that are personal, or that the writer is doing in a way that makes me want to know them as people. Also like when they share about others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sharing also, in moderation. Those who fill their newsletters with multiple other authors feel more like cross-sells to me than suggested reads.

      Delete
  2. I, too, enjoy newsletters that invite me into the author's world so I can get to know them better. However, that many emails over a short span is a turn off to me. Once a month seems about right unless there is something special to promote (sale, new release, etc.)

    And I get that these are part promotion. If I'm interested in the author's books, I want that. But I like to get to know them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My normal newsletters do go out around monthly, unless something major is happening, but for the introduction I chose several shorter emails than one really long one. I guess I just have to hope that they are interesting enough that you don't quit on me. I didn't mention that each one does reference what is coming in the next one, so readers are not caught by surprise.

      Delete
  3. I think your tale underlines one of the problems many authors face: follow-through. I get several newsletters I enjoy (yours included.) Which reminds me. I don't have a newsletter, but I do maintain a website which I have been ignoring (I don't want to lose the domain name, so I do renew it.) When was the last time I updated it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Authors definitately need to pick their spots. Trying to do everything, usually means they don't do any of it well.

      Delete
  4. Good points, Jim. I try to walk the line in my newsletters between promo and human interest. I also enjoy promoting other authors I think my subscribers will enjoy. Seems to work. So far only one unsubscribe in the last two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get many more than that, but usually of newer subscribers with whom I'm probably not a good fit -- or they joined just to get a free book.

      Delete
  5. Facebook is down, Insta is down this morning, but author websites and news letters are up and running. We varied messaging tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good information, Jim, and a good prompt for me to give my newsletter some attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have some fun with it, Molly -- I've see you do it!

      Delete
  7. I learned early on in my publishing career that readers who feel a connection with an author are more likely to buy and read their books.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, After refusing to have a newsletter for years, I finally started one about 5 years ago and discovered I like doing it. I chat about myself and my kitties, include what I've been reading and watching. And of course I talk about my books and my book-related events. I often offer a giveaway along with a question such as why the subscriber would like to receive the book. I get many responses, all of which help me to get to know the people who receive my newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Jim! I do monthly newsletters that are lengthier than most. I have regularly occurring sections like Cheese Chat (since I write cheese shop mysteries) and Where in the World is Willa (photos of my book in various locations that readers have sent in or tagged me in), etc. On social media, I let potential subscribers know what they're getting. I see a lot of authors half-apologizing for sending a newsletter when asking for subscribers and promising not to send it more than absolutely necessary. I take the opposite approach. I have a fun and interesting newsletter and if you're into sitting down to read it in the time it takes you to finish your cup of coffee on the Sunday morning I send it out, sign up -- this is for you! Readers have other ways to find out about my books, so you're right about the hard sell being a turn-off. Newsletters are an opportunity to offer your readers something about you and your books they might not be able to get elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete