Saturday, March 16, 2024

Riding the Hobby Horse, by Lori Roberts Herbst

 “I guess I need a hobby. Currently, my primary hobby is complaining.”—Jay Duplass

 

I’ve never been much of a hobbyist—unless you count reading and the above-mentioned complaining. From my 20s through my 40s, I was busy raising a family and working at a demanding job, so I simply didn’t have the time or energy for such pleasure pursuits.

 


Once the kids got older and needed less attention, I took up cross stitching. Inspired by my mother-in-law, I’ve created over two dozen Christmas stockings, along with assorted other projects. It’s an enjoyable activity that keeps the boredom at bay as I watch TV in the evenings. Since my husband and I have been nomads for the past two months as we await the completion of our new home, I haven’t been able to tackle a new project, and I find myself missing it.

 

Otherwise, my hobby experience has been limited. So it was a joy to discover that the mother of my main character in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series is a “hobby jumper,” as her family refers to her. Over the course of the series, Maggie Cassidy has immersed herself in knitting, cake decorating, scrapbooking, and jigsaw puzzles, to name a few. It’s been enlightening and educational to research these hobbies, though most of them don’t rouse in me the inclination to take part. Still, I delight in standing behind the scenes to guide Maggie through each new enterprise.

 

For GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 of the series, that meant standing (figuratively) next to Maggie in a cemetery. When her librarian friend takes on a book project to document the early settlers of their hometown of Rock Creek Village, Colorado, Maggie agrees to help with the illustrations by taking up a new hobby—grave rubbing. (Not grave robbing, as Callie first mistakenly hears her say. That would require a whole different set of tools, as well as the cover of night…)

 

Though grave rubbing can be an artistic pursuit, it is most often used in genealogy. A rubbing is created by wrapping rice paper, or the equivalent, across the words etched on the tombstone and gently stroking the surface with specially made rubbing wax. Doing this well requires a steady hand, attention to detail, and patience. (Since those aren’t my inherent traits, it won’t be a hobby in which I engage…)

 

In the course of my research, I learned that grave rubbing can be a controversial practice. Some municipalities have even banned it due to the potential for damage to old tombstones. But if grave rubbing is carried out using a careful and specific process, it can serve to memorialize ancestors whose names might otherwise be lost to time and erosion.


 

In GRAVEN IMAGES, Callie accompanies Maggie and her librarian friend to the cemetery so she can take photos of her mother’s first rubbing. In typical fashion, Callie discovers a dead body. A dead body in a cemetery? Nothing unusual about that…right? But this one rests above the ground rather than beneath it.

 

One takeaway? Hobbies can be dangerous, my friends. Choose yours wisely.

 

Do you enjoy reading about characters’ hobbies? What are the best hobbies you’ve (pardon the cemetery pun) undertaken?

 

GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series, releases April 23 and will soon be available for preorder on Amazon.

 

***

 

Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com

12 comments:

  1. Reading about hobbies make me envious (knitting with cashmere yarn) or tired (digging up a front lawn and replacing it with native plants and perennials). My hobby is garden and flower photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 16, 2024 at 11:48 AM

      What an amazing hobby! I was a photography teacher for many years, so I love reading about people who engage in it as a hobby.

      Delete
  2. "Hobby Jumper." I love it! And it matches my younger self when I dabbled in sketching, cross-stitching, quilting, and photography (which became a professional pursuit for a time) to name a few. Now, I don't seem to have time for a hobby, although my husband tells me I need one. I love gardening and always begin the spring with high hopes and trips to the nursery, but all of the follow-up weeding and plant care seems to fall to Hubby because I get tied up with deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 16, 2024 at 11:50 AM

      Gardening has never caught my fancy, though I love gardens and flowers. It's like cooking: I love to eat, but I don't care to participate in the creation of it.

      Delete
  3. I love characters who have hobbies that make them more human and multi-faceted.

    The one that comes to mind is Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan, who is often out in the bay in the morning mists indulging in her hobby of rowing. While it's not something I have ever tried (if I ever got into a rowing shell, I'd never be able to climb out, although that might not be my main problem, since I'm sure I would capsize and dump myself into the water) the idea of being out on the water in the early morning stillness appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 16, 2024 at 11:50 AM

      Ahh, that does sound peaceful. Sadly, I'm certain I'd have the same experience rowing as you!

      Delete
  4. What fun! I do enjoy reading about character’s hobbies. It makes them more realistic to me, and if they’re not particularly good at them, but pursue them with gusto, it gives me something to root for! As for me, scuba diving, and crocheting. I have done pot throwing, but right now have no place to set up the wheel or kiln. Alas, hobby on hold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 16, 2024 at 11:52 AM

      You have such active hobbies, Kait! Mine usually involve something I can do sitting on the couch...I'm determined to take up pickle ball when we move into our new house, though! Wish me luck!

      Delete
    2. Good luck! People love pickleball. When we left Florida courts were going up daily!

      Delete
  5. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 16, 2024 at 1:47 PM

    I’m a hobby jumper, too. Once it was needlepoint, but then they limited the needles and scissors on planes…other crafts, no way. Guess I am condemned to be a one hobby reader and a lot of family and volunteer work on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the term hobby jumper! I keep trying to be crafty, but I just don’t have the patience to finish anything
    . My hobbies are dance related . I’ve done everything from ballet to jazz to country line dancing, and ballroom. Right now my hobby is Pilates and yoga, but every time I walk by a craft store and see all that delicious yarn I am so tempted! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. My most long lasting hobby is knitting. Baby sweaters to Christmas stockings. Currently scarves and fingerless mittens. I’ve also done sewing and various other hobbies. I did hop around a bit! These days I garden, bake and write. Yes, I’ve realized I’m a hobby-writer! I just don’t put enough time in to quite finish my Cozy mystery. Thanks to Sisters in Crime I just. Might. Finish! ❤️📚

    ReplyDelete