Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Boots on the Ground - The Authentic Voice and Value of Travel Research by Martha Reed

Before I retired from my corporate career in 2020, I needed to fit my research jaunts into three-day weekends usually in conjunction with a federal holiday like President’s Day to conserve my precious hoard of vacation time. But no more! One of the real freedoms of retirement is travelling whenever I like – and for as long as I like in support of my writing projects.

Sidebar: I’m just as busy as I was pre-retirement, only now I spend my time focused on my writing life and creative projects. I’m calling this time of my life the “reward portion of the program.”

One of the shakeouts of 2020 was the realization that I could write from anywhere as long as I had WIFI and my laptop. So, as I started drafting NOLA Mystery #3, I decided to write it in situ, in New Orleans if I liked. And the more I considered the idea, the better I liked it.

Nowadays it takes a half an hour to rent an AirBnB location through an online booking service. Because Book #3 is a deep dive into NOLA Creole culture, I rented an authentic Creole cottage in Marigny on N. Rampart Street, very close to the Vieux Carre for the month of March. I asked my landlady how to pronounce “Vieux Carre.” She replied: “French Quarter.” She’s a comedian.

My studio apartment is on the top floor up a twisty set of narrow steps. My bathroom is the dormer on the right. There is a cute desk, and if as I’m drafting I begin to feel like the mad woman in the attic, I may be right.

Each day, after I drink my heavenly Creole coffee (with chicory), I write for four hours before I close my laptop and go for a walk to Jackson Square. The French Quarter layout is based on a grid system so I rarely get lost. And I never get tired of admiring the local architecture including this lethal piece of local hardware called a “Romeo Spike.” It’s meant to discourage ardent suitors from climbing up the balconies.

Every so often, I’ll fantasize about buying a house and moving to NOLA. Then I recall how much I disliked Florida hurricanes and flooding, and I remember that in 2005, when the levees broke, Katrina was worse.

It’s been a very productive experiment. The Creole coffee may have helped, but I’ve drafted a complete chapter outline for Book #3 and I’m still hitting my daily word count.

But the real treasure in working onsite is the authentic language you hear, the locations and the details you see, and the lovely and generous people you meet. I gather up these details as I walk, and then rush home to plant them in my manuscript. One of the reasons I write the way I do is that I want my readers to feel like they’ve gone on the journey with me.

For instance, I’ve been using the “Suds Dem Duds” laundromat on Bourbon Street. Diana, the proprietress, is warm, generous, open, and friendly, and a genuine neighborhood character. She knows the names of everyone she meets, including the names of their dogs. I was passing by late one afternoon, coming back from my Jackson Square amble when she called out to me:

“Martha, come on in. We’re doing shots.”

I said: “Why? Is it your birthday?”

“No, honey. It’s Thursday.”

Ah, New Orleans. You’ve stolen my heart. That exchange told me everything about Diana’s character and her lifestyle in eleven words. The brevity was breathtaking.

How about you? Do you travel to immerse yourself in your setting? Does Google Maps suffice for your research? Do you blend your imagination with the real world? Where do you draw the line?

19 comments:

  1. Martha, your attic apartment so reminds me of our attic rooms on Ramona's retreat! And I seem to recall this series was born in that attic. Looks like it's come full circle.

    I love doing deep dives into research. I think I need to set another book in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette - Great minds think alike. When I first saw it, I thought the same thing. And yes, the NOLA Mysteries were hatched at Ramona's Retreat. This trip has been a great deep dive. The last big piece snapped into place yesterday when I visited a local crime site. I eyeballed something I would have missed researching it any other way.

      Delete
  2. I made four trips to NOLA 2014-2017, spending a month each time. I took daily walks in "my" neighborhoods in Mid-City and City Park. Toward the end of my stay, I could spend more time in the Quarter exploring the off-beat museums and antique shops and taking photos. I know the sights, sounds, and smells (Parkway Bakery fried oyster po'boys) of NOLA. I can only write about a place I've visited in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret - it sounds like you've checked all the NOLA boxes. There's so much to do here and the people watching is first rate. Buying an all day three-dollar streetcar pass is the best show in town. I love my writing life! It gives me the excuse to visit all kinds of places.

      Delete
  3. I love Diana. Now I may have to arrange a trip to NOLA. Haven't been since college - and that was for Mardi Gras. Don't remember much.

    So far I’ve stuck to writing where I know. That has plusses and minuses because the places I know are apt to change on a dime. They’re in Florida – it’s those pesky hurricanes! My current WIP is set in Maine in the north woods known as the Allagash. It’s the setting for Evangeline so I’m guessing they’ll be around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kait - Come on down! NOLA is as good as she's ever been. My first visit was thirty years ago (gulp). I don't remember too much of that visit either but a couple of brain cells reconnected this trip as I strolled around the French Quarter. Plus I made a couple of Great New Finds. I visited Maine last October. The coastline was breathtaking. It looked like a ruggedly beautiful Japanese print!

      Delete
  4. How timely for me! On Saturday, I'm heading to New Orleans for a vacation with my daughter.

    Most of my setting are semi-fictional, based on places I know, often a mash-up of several reassembled for the story. One combines Hagerstown, MD (a city with a major prison industry,) Albion, MI (steel fabrication and glass production,) and Fairmont, WV (situated on the Monongahela River, with mountains rising around it.)

    There is one story setting that I'd like to visit, but I'm afraid it exists entirely in my imagination. Santa's Village, where the industrious inhabitants operate North Pole Enterprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen - What fun! I'll share a secret - if you're in the French Quarter take a mid-afternoon break at the Croissant d"Or Patisserie on Ursuline Avenue. They have an awesome little terrace hidden in the rear. It's the perfect place to take a seat, enjoy a treat, and rest your feet. I also fictionalize the street addresses in my settings, and run a check on character names. I don't want my villian(s) landing on anything or anyone real.

      Delete
  5. True Confession: Diana's name got lost in translation to my Northerner's ear. It's Dinah. Try saying "Dinah" Southern-style and you'll see why I made the mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 26, 2024 at 1:03 PM

    This is just the best! I so enjoy reading about your adventures. I based my fictional town on a real one in Colorado and loved it so much I moved there. Now I'm creating a fictional beach town. Can't afford to keep moving, though... I really love your NOLA series, Martha, and no wonder. It's so authentically drawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori - I seem to be footloose lately too. Moving is expensive but I’ve skinnied my belongings down to my bed and my books!

      Delete
  7. Oh! Perfect. Thanks for letting us visit your NOLA digs, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly - thanks for coming along for the ride!

      Delete
  8. I admire your sense of adventure by taking off to the site of your book. I’m glad you had such an enjoyable time there. And also the fact that it will make your book sound even more authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! I love travelling and I'm already planning my next adventure. More to come! (Teaser)

      Delete
  9. I loved visiting you in your little cottage and our day together hitting all the spots. I love to do research "in situ" as you say. I also base my fictitious town on real places and also fictitious houses on real houses -- thanks Zillow and Open Houses. I also enjoy shopping for my character's dresses and jewelry. So, Martha - when's your next research trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa - I'm so glad we connected and spent the day together plus having that delicious meal with Erin & Co. What fun! I think the next trip is Italy and Crete in August. I've wanted to do Greece for years and made plans for it in 2020 until COVID-19 upset things. I want to pick up that dropped stitch!

      Delete
  10. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 26, 2024 at 8:09 PM

    I have to agree that using real houses and sites, but fictionalized makes our books seem more real (and makes readers guess what we based our thoughts on).

    ReplyDelete