Wednesday, March 27, 2024

The Mystery of the Missing Short Story By E. B. Davis

A month or so ago, I wrote a blog in which I mentioned my favorite short story, one that I had neither title or name of author since it was borrowed from the library. One of many regrets, which I will not enumerate! I thought it was one by P. G. Wodehouse, and I still think that is who wrote it. I even wrote to the Strand magazine about the story, and they had no such story published. I persisted in my research. I ordered an old volume of Wodehouse’s titled Lord Emsworth and Others, in which appeared the story, “The Crime Wave at Blandings,” which I thought might be the ONE. (Yes, I bought an old, used paperback even though I don’t favor them. I’ve been sneezing my head off since it’s been in the house. Even my husband noticed its musty odor! The pain we must endure.)

 

After reading the story, I am now more confused than ever. The author is definitely P. G. Wodehouse, but the story isn’t the same. It was different in my memory and, being a crime writer I am well aware of how witnesses’ memories change as time goes on and how unreliable memories are, BUT. Wodehouse is such a talented writer that his scenes are well defined. I may be unreliable, but Wodehouse isn’t. There were fundamental differences in the stories. Some of the relationships had changed. The final scene had changed. The plot was basically the same, but the weapon had changed. After reading “The Crime Wave at Blandings,” I couldn’t imagine that Wodehouse had written two stories so similar in setting, characters, plot, etc.

 

Clearly, I needed to do more research. “The Crime Wave at Blandings” was first published in the US in The Saturday Evening Post split between October 10th and 17th, 1936. In England, it was published in the Strand magazine in the January 1937 issue. But—there was a footnote—that all important footnote! “The Crime Wave at Blandings” was based on an earlier story titled “Creatures of Impulse,” which appeared in the Strand in 1914.

 

So ends my confusion unless “Creatures of Impulse” turns out not to be the story that I remember. It was published in a volume titled Plum* Stones, which no doubt I won’t find in epub form. A writer’s research is never done. I will persist and report back, sneezing all the while.

 

Post Script: I found an epub of “Creatures of Impulse” on the Internet (no sneezing necessary). I read it. It was not the story I remembered. My story more closely resembled “The Crime Wave at Blandings.” The characters in this earlier short story, “Creatures of Impulse,” are precursors of the later characters. Sir Godfrey Tanner and his butler Jevon become Lord Emsworth and Jeeves, but Jeeves becomes Bertie Wooster’s butler. Lord Emsworth’s butler is named Beach, who is very much like Jeeves. So, the evolution of Wodehouse’s most famous characters wasn’t a one-to-one match, but in the meantime, Jeeves’s position with Bertie couldn’t be disputed so Wodehouse invented Beach, who knows enough to serve champagne in the final scene—in the story I read. Of course, he brings two glasses so he can join in to toast his boss’s success. In “The Crime Wave at Blandings,” Beach was the only one drinking and it was Port! Doesn’t seem quite right.  

 

Now, I am more confused than ever. As I do more research, though, it becomes apparent that most of Wodehouse’s short stories were published in magazines in the U. S. and in England, such as Strand, Saturday Evening Post, Punch, Playboy, Redbook, Cosmopolitan, American Boy, Boy’s Life, Ladies Home Journal, The London Magazine and Vanity Fair. The list is extensive. 



There are some variations of the same stories (usually in the editing of the story) among publications. That editing does not explain the differences I found between “The Crime Wave at Blandings” and whatever story I read. The story I read was in an anthology I took from the library. (I since have moved from that community.) Obviously, it was a reprint from an originally published story in a magazine. To me, the mystery remains. P. G. Wodehouse scholars chart changes and variations of stories, but ones that document the story I read with “The Crime Wave at Blandings” have not appeared. Wodehouse’s popularity and adaptations of his work in radio shows, TV shows, and films add to the confusion. I hope I solve the mystery someday.

 

  Have you lost stories that were important to you? What have you done to find them?

 



* Pelham Grenville Wodehouse’s nickname was Plum.

 

7 comments:

  1. I've reread stories I first read years ago, been surprised that they aren't quite what I remember. I'm pretty sure my totally malleable thought process changed them to suit my way of thinking. Two examples are "The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes" (Enthralled with the concept, I had completely blacked out on the gold shoe part) and "The Brindle London Squatting Cat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to track down some of the books I read when I was 10-12. I have no idea about title and author. They were library books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Elaine, and I hope you find the story.

    In a younger day, I read a lot of period romance. The characters of some of those books have stuck with me, but the titles, alas, are gone. I wrote a FB post directed to the hive mind, shared what little information I remembered, and lo and behold – found the book. You might try a hive mind post on a social media platform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fascinating obsession, Elaine. Like Margaret, I occassionally am reminded of a book I read as a child, but as that was in the late 50s, I can usually find the answer with an internet search -- and it's often not the answer I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori Roberts HerbstMarch 27, 2024 at 11:12 AM

    When I was in high school, my mother and I read an essay by James Dickey about living on the edge. It was so uplifting and inspirational to us both. Mom died in 2011, and I've been trying to find that essay ever since, with no luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it The Enemy from Eden? Dickey as a snake hunter with a homemade blowgun? It's mentioned in this link https://www.enotes.com/topics/james-dickey/critical-essays

      Delete
  6. Have you asked your public librarian? Many librarians LOVE finding the lost books and stories people remember and they have amazing tricks up their sleeves.

    ReplyDelete