Sunday, March 31, 2024

The Four Stages of Writing Three Books a Year by Matt Cost

 

I'm delighted to welcome Matt Cost to the blog. In addition to being a fine multi-genre writer, he keeps up a schedule that...well, I'll let him tell it. Take it away, Matt.


I have found the rhythm of writing three books a year to be a very good fit for me. This has, believe it or not, a variety that I find very appealing. On every single day, I have four different pieces of the writing process to be working on. They are writing, editing, marketing, and promoting. Sure, there are other things in writing books like inspiration and research, but these are the four stages that occupy me seven days a week.

As I just had a new book published, Pirate Trap, on March 27th, I am going to take these stages in reverse order. I am currently promoting this latest release, the fifth book in my Clay Wolfe/Port Essex Trap series. This entails doing speaking engagements and book signings at a variety of libraries, bookstores, conferences, author brunches, and panel discussions. I have eleven such engagements in April and a like number in May. These continue forward, but will tail off in June and July, before picking up with a new book in August. These events are mainly in Maine, with a few exceptions in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

These promotions were set up through the third stage of writing three books a year, and that is marketing. I have currently begun my campaign of reaching out to speaking and signing sites for my upcoming book, City Gone Askew, which is pubbing on July 31st. Not yet having reached the stature of Michael Connelly, Harlan Coban, or Paul Doiron, this means approaching close to two-hundred places to create thirty engagements for this second book in my Brooklyn 8 Ballo series. The second main part of my marketing campaign is reaching out to reviewers, which is similar in scope, in that I need to query almost ten to get one, but that number builds with every book written.

 This brings us to stage two, the editing process. I might be editing several different books at once as there are my own edits when completing a book, the edits recommended by the professional editor I hire, and the edits of my publisher. For the sake of simplicity, we will focus on the edits from my publisher, Cynthia Brackett-Vincent at Encircle Publications, for the edits of my November release of Mainely Mayhem. This sixth book in the Mainely Mystery series has gone through seven edits before it gets to my publisher, where it will face two more as well as an edit from my wife, who can find fault with me where nobody else can.

 Writing. Stage one. I am currently writing 1955, a Raleigh, North Carolina, PI mystery set in that year. I started writing 1955 on January 1st of this year and have only missed four days of writing since I began. I write every morning, seven days a week, and then if I have time, some in the afternoon as well. The book will be reaching a thrilling conclusion very soon, and I will move forward through the stages. Write something new. Edit something new. Market something new. Promote something new. Write on.

Matt Cost is the highly acclaimed, award-winning author of the Mainely Mystery series. The first book, Mainely Power, was selected as the Maine Humanities Council Read ME Fiction Book of 2020. This was followed by Mainely Fear, Mainely Money, Mainely Angst, and Mainely Wicked.

 His Clay Wolfe/Port Essex Mysteries include Wolfe Trap, Mind Trap, Mouse Trap, and Cosmic Trap, and now, Pirate Trap.

 I Am Cuba: Fidel Castro and the Cuban Revolution was his first traditionally published novel. He had another historical released in August of 2021, Love in a Time of Hate, and in August 2022, Encircle re-released his originally self-published novel, At Every Hazard: Joshua Chamberlain and the Civil War.

Cost's love of histories and mysteries is combined in the novel, Velma Gone Awry, book one in his new series featuring private eye, 8 Ballo, set in 1920's Brooklyn. The second book, City Gone Askew, will publish in August of 2024.

Cost lives in Brunswick, Maine, with his wife, Harper. There are four grown children: Brittany, Pearson, Miranda, and Ryan. A chocolate Lab and a basset hound round out the mix. He now spends his days at the computer, writing.

 

21 comments:

  1. Welcome to WWK, Matt. I'd be interested in how many hours a day on average you spend on each of your four activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! Happy to be here. It fluctuates but I start every day with a few hours of writing to make sure that happens. Then the rest of the day depends on what needs to be done. Sometimes I write more, but there is usually some editing, marketing, and promoting to be done.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the additional info, Matt.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to WWK, Matt. This is a master class in productivity! Which do you enjoy the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kait. I like all the pieces, actually. If pushed, I'd probably have to claim writing as my favorite. Write on.

      Delete
  3. Debra H. GoldsteinMarch 31, 2024 at 2:53 PM

    Matt, I like how you balance the four stages. In one of your responses you noted that you always write first. That's where I tend to go into the weeds - doing everything else and then not having writing time. Thanks for a well-organized post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Yep, I figure without writing there wouldn't be any of the other things to do. Cup of coffee, jazz music on the headphones, and write first thing.

      Delete
  4. Matt, congratulations on the new release! The most I've ever written/published in one year is three books. I'm trying, for the sake of my own sanity, to cut it back to no more than two.

    Approaching 200 venues? Thirty engagements??? How much overlap is there in these locations from book to book? I have a much smaller contact list and still feel like I keep going back to the same wells, perhaps too often. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Venues tend to be no more than one a year, if that. I do have some that have a following of one series so will have me back for that book, but mostly they bounce around. I won't get as many in November for that release. Spring, summer, and early fall seem to work best for me. Sounds like you are knocking out a good number of books as well! Write on.

      Delete
  5. Sounds to me like a great organizational pattern. No wonder you're able to get three books done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I certainly wouldn't say it flows seamlessly but it seems to get the job done. Write on.

      Delete
  6. Wow! But if it's a schedule that works for you (and your dogs)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. Dog walks are a great break from the screen.... write on.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for bringing your amazing talent and production to Writers Who Kill, today, Matt. I'm in stupefied awe. Plus, Pirate Trap? Great title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- you're organizational skills and writing routine are inspirational! I write 1-1/2 books a year and I never feel like it's enough time. Best of luck on this latest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of all your writerly activity! This year I'm writing 2 books and have 8 coming out, 5 of which are being republshed. I'm swamped, and can't imagine how you do all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is wow! Good for you for perfecting such a system.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That’s quite impressive, Matt. It made me tired just reading this. Congratulations on all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to Writers Who Kill, Matt! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like we'll have a lot to talk about when you stop by The Bookish Hour, Matt! Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm tired just reading about your workload! And I'm in awe of people who can write so prolifically.

    ReplyDelete