Tuesday, January 31, 2023

The Amazing World of Gadgets by Lori Roberts Herbst


In my early teens, I communicated with my friends on a curly corded push-button phone that hung on the kitchen wall. I conducted research for my junior high essays using my library card or an outdated set of encyclopedias my mother had purchased on an installment plan. I took notes with a Papermate ballpoint pen (blue ink for me) on wide-lined looseleaf notebook paper, and I compiled those notes in a three-ring binder. For entertainment, I watched a small screen on our enormous combo TV/stereo. Back then, we had to walk from the couch to the TV and twist the knob if we wanted to change the channel. The horror.

By the time I was a world-weary high schooler, my parents allowed me a slimline phone extension in my room. I was thrilled to get an early version of the Trapper Keeper, as well as one of those cool Bic pens with multi-colored ink. And our family graduated to an awesome front-projection television.

 

Now, some forty-plus years later, I look around at the technology I’m surrounded by and have even learned to take for granted. There’s the laptop computer I use to write my novels, pay my bills, and book my appointments and reservations. Though I still possess a library card, these days it allows me to use an app to check out digital books, which I read on my Kindle, and audiobooks, which I listen to with AirPods. Social media and Google are readily available on my smartphone, so I can communicate with people anywhere, anytime—though I rarely make or receive an actual phone call. Throw in my FitBit and iPad and I’m nearly always using something electronic. Even my Sleep Number bed requires electricity.

The one bit of bad news: I barely know how to use our TV anymore. With its various remotes, multiple streaming services, TiVo, and soundbar, I require my husband’s presence to operate the machine. And even when I do manage to get the TV working, there are just So. Many. Choices. I don’t even know where to begin figuring out what to watch. Luckily, my Kindle is always nearby…

 

I recently acquired a Remarkable 2 e-ink tablet, and I confess I’m madly in love with the newest addition to my gadget family. I enjoy writing notes and lists in longhand, and the tablet provides the perfect organizational tool to do that and keep them all in one place. Before, I filled legal pads and spirals with outlines and notes for each book, and now I can save paper and store everything in one handy thin tablet. It even connects to the internet, so I can send myself a pdf version of a draft and make handwritten revisions as I read. I’m in the early stages of discovering all the possible uses for my Precious, but I can already tell it will be my constant companion.
 

Occasionally, like all folks of a certain age, I reflect on the old days—usually while I’m shaking my fist and yelling at some kid to get off my lawn. Back when I was walking a mile to school and back—in the snow, of course, uphill both ways—I didn’t have all these contraptions to help me organize my life—or to keep track of those snowy steps. But I also didn’t fall victim to all the associated distractions and frustrations. I’m not sure whether the advances in technology make life better or worse. Likely a bit of both, I suppose.

 

But one thing I do know for certain: if the electricity goes out for any prolonged length of time, I’m in serious trouble.

 

What about you? Do electronics and technology enhance or diminish the quality of your life?

7 comments:

  1. I'd be lost without electronics!

    Every once in a while, when I am going somewhere and don't know how to get there, I look up both the address and the route on my computer. I will use a GPS in my car, but I print out a back-up in case the GPS misguides me (which it has been known to do.) I remember the days of AAA Trip-Tiks, which were wonderful but awkward, and notes with route numbers taped to the dashboard.

    Research is another great aspect. Exactly when was it that Mackinac Island was captured by the Canadians because the mailed letter to the US garrison hadn't gotten there so they did not know about the War of 1812 and thus didn't defend against the Canadians, who had been informed by messenger and breezed in to overtake the confused soldiers.

    Word processing is another area. My handwriting was never good, no matter how much I worked at it, but since I injured my hands in an industrial accident, I am incapable of writing for any length of time, and it's mostly illegible. But I can "keyboard."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though lured by the promise of gadgets like the Remarkable (which does truly look remarkable) I find that the old school pencil on paper is most reliable for me, followed by my good old laptop.
    When technology works, it's great. When it doesn't - like my new television with voice technology and a million channels - it makes me long for the good old days of three channels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say both. I remember writing my first book (you know, the one under my bed) in longhand on legal paper and then typed the “final” to an IBM Selectric. Edits were labor intensive! Still, now that I'm living in the woods of Maine, I’ve learned that even if you fully embrace tech, you need to have old-time skills to survive. We heat with woodstoves, and I can cook on them, too, when the power goes out. Snowshoes reside in my closet, both for exercise, and because there are times that’s the only means of transportation. No substitute for my laptop though, and in the threat of any power out, my Kindle is fully charged and ready to entertain me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Kathleen, I'd be lost, too—literally! Though I still print out directions when I'm heading to the mountains. I've been burned a couple of times by lost reception... And as for research, technology is the bomb. Again, though, I've learned to double check everything since there's so much false information floating around in cyberspace.

    Shari, I love that Remarkable so much it's not even healthy. But I'm with you on the "when tech works" aspect. When I was a teenager, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. We had to punch in prices by hand and...gasp!...make change using math skills. No way they could do that now. And to be honest, probably no way I could, either. I think my reliance on technology has led to the atrophy of certain parts of my brain.

    Kait, your life in the woods of Maine sounds so intriguing. I think I'd love it, but I'm not sure if I'd love it full time...I've always fantasized about a cabin in the woods, but I'm kind of soft. Not sure how well I'd adapt. We're headed to the Rocky Mountains in a couple of weeks with my daughter and her family, and we rented a house with lots of amenities. That's about as much "roughing it" as I've done lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kait. I can make Christmas dinner over a fire, complete with apple pie, but I do like my creature comforts. Hot shower, laptop, plenty of light day or night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple pie? Really? I can't even begin to imagine how to do that! Takes some real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LIKE writing my tasks on little pieces of real paper. I like being able to throw them away (aka recycle) when they're done.
    Or sometimes I find them under a stack of other (real) paper and have an aha moment. Or an oops moment. Either way, I like the physical paper & pen, for lists & tasks.
    Maybe because the rest of my life is all on a screen: bills, ebooks, email, research...

    ReplyDelete