Monday, July 16, 2018

Wonderment and Writing


Wonderment and Writing by Debra H. Goldstein
The art of writing is both a joy and a business. On the days my ideas and words flow, I forget time and experience a state of euphoria. Unfortunately, the need to deal with finances, promotion, social media, and other tasks often dulls my creative abilities. When that happens, I get angry for not writing. Last week, I failed to write one word. I planned to, but things didn’t work out – even when there was an opportunity and time to write.

I was on a cruise to Alaska with my family. We ranged in age from five to seventy-five. I wasn’t the youngest, but I wasn’t the oldest, either. The five-year-old reminded me of one of the most
important axioms for a writer – never lose the sense of wonderment associated with the passion of writing.





With her eyes wide-open and her parents, aunts and uncles, or grandparents trailing her, she explored every nook and cranny of the ship. By the end of the trip, she was able to tell us her three favorite things: “I can walk everywhere without having to sit and wait in a car; I can go to the pool and find friends anytime I want; and, best of all, I love the buffet.”

Being one who is not wild about a buffet, except for late night ice cream or pizza snacks, I was surprised she ranked it as her favorite thing on the ship. It was only after watching her walk from station to station picking out exactly what she wanted that I realized how wonderful the variety of food choices seemed to her. She only selected a little from here and a bit from there, but she knew her options were unlimited – and she relished that experience.

Writers begin with the ability to go in all directions, too. Unfortunately, deadlines, business needs, and even occasionally allowing oneself to become pigeonholed into a certain writing style, can make a writer forget to hold on to the sense of wonderment. I’m guilty of sometimes losing the joy and excitement I usually associate with the passion of writing – what about you?


13 comments:

  1. Some complain of writer's block, which I never have. I don't have time to allow it. But yes, sometimes the passion is lacking. Thankfully, I usually have no trouble finding it again by taking a day off to refill the well. That cruise looks like a wonderful way to do just that! Gorgeous pictures, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m working on the sixth Seamus McCree, a story that will complete one spiral of the story arc. It will be a good place to pause or stop the series. I have other issues to explore that require different characters. We’ll see how that goes. My joy and excitement tend to be in inverse proportion to how strong my internal critic is telling me my writing sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar story of finding joy again with family surrounded by nature. Thanks for reminding us to take the time to appreciate the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family time with great pix! It must have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette, a day off would be okay, but I think I'm into week 2 or 3 -- but I've been having a great time reading a book a day. Sometimes, reading is what I need to recharge. Jim, one thing I know is your finished writing never sucks. I've enjoyed every Seamus McCree book and will be interested in seeing what you do next. Warren...read your upcoming piece and know you experienced the same feelings I did. Margaret -- it was. I only wish I was a better photographer and hadn't forgotten my camera -- these were phone snaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra, I've always loved children and their way of looking at things. Partly it was because I had four children in less than five years, and taught third grade.

    For some reason the tenth book in my series that I started in March fell by the wayside as so many other things came up like my sister and her husband visiting from Washington State. We went on hiking trails and I always enjoy that because I love being out in nature. When they left my daughter came from California for a week. And then I had to get busy with the gardens at least a little. My two book clubs met and other things came up, too. I also read a lot and when a book is one I can't put down, I spend time reading instead of writing. But several weeks ago I started back on my tenth book writing chapter 15. Today I'm going to write the bios for six possible suspects who murdered someone at the beginning. I haven't yet decided which one it will be until I write a bio for each of them. And I will write chapter sixteen hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think time spent reading IS part of writing. We learn from our colleagues/mentors that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cruise photos are glorious!

    A few days off to refill the well will usually do the trick, especially if part of priming the pump involves reading books by other writers I respect and admire.

    I do wonder how writers keep long-running series fresh. Gloria, thank you for a glimpse into that process. There was a blog I read a while ago that a writer suggested that when she needed a break from her long-running series, she wrote short stories from the point of view of a secondary character. Can't remember the author, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree a break -- reading good and bad is helpful. At least it is for me. Gloria, thanks for explaining your process -- and your distractions. Considering how prolific you are, it is nice to know there can be breaks. Kait, I sometimes do that, too. I was pushing to finish my second book in the new Sarah Blair series on deadline and couldn't focus. I had an opportunity to write a short story (except it had a deadline of the next day)… I had an idea and wrote the story in a few hours. Made sure there were no typos and sent it off. Then I went back to writing the book with my mind refreshed (and best of all, the book was accepted in the form I submitted it and the story will appear in the anthology in 2019). Carla, it is a learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes problems seem to converge and drain the joy out of life, including the writing process. It does help to take a break and recount your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A trip like a cruise to Alaska is perfect for charging your writing batteries, which is an important thing to do occasionally. Just communing with nature, having a relaxing time with family, and sitting in a deck chair watching the water swish by has to be invigorating. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are spectacular, Debra! Thank you for sharing them.
    Spending time with little ones always gives us a new perspective on life, doesn't it?
    There are so many things I envy about your trip - family time, the spectacular travel, not cooking - but a book a day! What a treat! Like Carla said, reading and writing are two sides of the same coin. I think you'll return recharged and ready to write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KM, you nailed it. Know you've had a lot going on... thinking of you. Grace, there was much to recharge with, but the distance and juggling sleep schedules sent me home needing a few days of R&R. Only now am I beginning to knock out the things I need to do. Shari, any time I spend time with children I learn something. As for coming back ready to write …. I came back wanting to read more books (so I've knocked out a few more). Tomorrow begins the real work!

    ReplyDelete