Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring

Spring



With warmer weather, I’m starting to see the signs of spring.  Tulips are poking the tips of their leaves 

out of the ground.  One of the best things about flowers is that different varieties bloom at different 

times.  All through the spring and summer some blooms appear as others fade and disappear. 


Another sign of spring is the presence of small squirrels.  The young ones that survive learn to run all 

the way across the street as fast as they can.  For the ones who stop in the middle and then dash back to 

where they started, the survival rate is much lower.


Every charity I ever donated to hit me up for money in January or February.  The calls are thinning out.

They usually wait a few months and then call me again, hoping I won’t remember I already gave.  

Some charities have names so similar other charities that it’s hard to tell them apart. Often they combine 

“Children” and “Cancer” along with a few other words.


My bank used to send me credit cards every quarter. I admit it had me fooled for some time.  I finally 

noticed I had too many cards from the same issuer.  Now I cut up any I have not requested. Snick!

Lawn care company signs pop up with the earliest flowers.  There will not be any at all and then, bam! 

They’re more common than dandelions.  The two could be related for all I know.  They probably even 

taste alike, although I cannot verify that personally.



Movie ads that claim, “best movie of the year,” do not appear to be quite as ridiculous as movies that 

premiered in January.  The sequels and prequels of average movies to below average haven’t put in 

their appearance yet. I’m sure they’re on the way.  If you’ve already messed up an idea, why not try for 

a new disaster? ‑ Especially if there is an older treatment that actually worked. Who watches black and 

white movies anyway?



Maybe it’s time to move the snow shovel from next to the front door to the garage. Nah.  That might be 

tempting fate. 



Have you seen any signs where you live? 



PS: I wrote this last night after a day when the temperature had been in the mid 70s.

When I awoke this morning it was snowing.

8 comments:

  1. I live near D.C., Warren. Last Saturday, we had temperatures in the 70's. On Monday, eleven inches of snow dumped on us. This Saturday, temperatures are to be near 70 again. On Tuesday, we may have snow. Meanwhile, the Cherry Blossom Festival has started. There are no cherry blossoms. Buds only. I suspect the event will conclude before the cherry blossoms make a show this year. Spring is a long-time coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EB,

    We've had enough winter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren, the only signs of spring I've been seeing and hearing - in addition to the fluctuating weather - are birds singing and more active squirrels. Also, the raccoons, possoms and probably skunks have become more active with more dead carcasses on the road. Once I rake away the winter debris, I might actually see daffodil and crocus sprouts. I's been a long, long winter, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first sign of spring is noise. When warmer weather arrives as it did last Saturday, people open their car windows and crank up the music. I also had my car windows open to enjoy the warm air and heard their music as well as felt its thumping vibrations throughout my body. Despite the increased noise level, I'll be glad to see the end of this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My earliest crocuses, the ones out by the mailbox in a sunny spot, are out! Mind you, we still have patches of snow. And it's been such a cold, snowy winter I have a feeling the deer have eaten all the azalea buds. But spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been a long winter. I was very happy to see some tulips peek out of the ground by my front steps, but I am not optimistic about what will happen to them when we get our snow that is predicted for next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The naked ladies are poking through the ground just barely, and that's usually the first signs of spring here--in spite of the snows that keep coming.

    Winter is going to keep hitting us with some final lashes of its tail as it retreats, but it's on the way out, I do believe. And oh, good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is Jersey it was in the mid 60s today, but we will have snow again on Tuesday.

    My snowbells are blooming and crocus and daffodils are peeking through the ground. People were out walking and bicycling today and it was great to see them. Definitely signs of spring. Hubby and I went to the dock for lunch.

    ReplyDelete