Thursday, May 21, 2020

Newsletters by Marilyn Levinson

For the longest time, every book-promoting guru I'd seen and listened to was insisting that an author had to have a newsletter. A newsletter was essential. It was the best way to communicate with one's readers. And for the longest time I refused to take the plunge. What did I have to say, I wondered, that I couldn't put in a blog or on my Facebook page? Besides, weren't newsletters a lot of trouble to set up and distribute?

Then three years ago, I realized it was time to update my website. A website is a necessity in every writer's promotion arsenal, and mine—which had well served its purpose—was now a Model-T Ford among SUVs and hybrids. Since the person creating my new website was using WIX, I thought it only logical to use WIX  to send out my newsletters, which they now call an email campaign.

It took quite a number of lessons to learn how to compose a WIX newsletter, and I certainly haven't taken advantage of all of the bells and whistles. Still, I now manage to put out a newsletter every 6 to 8 weeks. Much to my surprise, I've discovered this is something I enjoy.

Basically, my newsletter consists of three parts. In the first, I post a picture that reflects the season and write about what's happening in my personal and professional life.
The second is devoted to news regarding my books, book-related events and giveaways. (I did my first giveaway in the latest newsletter.) The third section I list and sometimes comment on books I've read, movies I've seen, and series and shows I've watched on TV, Netflix and Prime. Then off it goes—to subscribers as well as to my Facebook page, Pinterest board, and Twitter account.

The best part of sending out a newsletter is hearing back from readers. Many write to let me know how much they enjoy receiving it. They like hearing updates about my books and often share what they're reading and watching. WIX gives you detailed statistics of how well your campaign went, and I'm pleased by the high percentage of people who click on and open my email campaigns.


If you are an author and thinking of starting a newsletter, I say go for it! I think the secret of having one that's effective is be yourself and be willing to share your thoughts and aspects of your life with your readers. There's so much you can include in your newsletter to make it unique: photos of trips, recipes, your pet's escapades. And, of course, keeping readers up to date on your writing life.

9 comments:

  1. I'm still working on getting a newsletter together. It's on my wanna do, gotta do list, but it hasn't happened yet. Your three part content sounds like the perfect mix to keep readers informed and engaged. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marilyn, for the prod I needed. I used WIX to set up my web page, but I've yet to use it for a newsletter. I get overwhelmed just thinking about the technology it might involve. You've made me realize that it's doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kait and Margaret,
    Glad you like my 3-part content idea.

    Grace,
    WIX requires that you spend time learning how to work with their tools, but the results is a really nice-looking newsletter. I think it's worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Marilyn. That's quite an accomplishment. And I've seen your newsletter--it's impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, KM, Warren, and Donnell. I think one's newsletter is for sharing news and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your newsletter, Marilyn. Thanks for this great advice - maybe now I'll get myself in gear and get going on my own.

    ReplyDelete