Sunday, May 3, 2020

Missing Malice by Annette Dashofy




Today is the day I and many of my fellow Writers Who Kill should be packing up and heading home from Bethesda, Maryland, after a weekend of laughter, hugs, drinks at the bar, and mingling with readers and friends. This was the weekend for Malice Domestic, the annual mystery convention that feels more like a family reunion than a business trip.

I don’t think I’m alone in mourning its cancelation. Having been a conference coordinator once, many years ago, I have some idea of the work that goes on to plan something like this. As heartbroken as I am, I know the Malice and Agatha planning committees are feeling it even harder. THANK you to all the volunteers. We should plan to buy each of them drinks next year.

This year will be one for the history books. The year the world stood still. While I’ve been participating in virtual events, book clubs, and writers meetings, and while I love connecting through the various online platforms with readers who might never get to come to a convention or book launch, I miss the face-to-face time and the hugs. (Will we ever hug again?)

So, since we couldn’t be together this weekend and since I can’t share all the new memories, I’m sharing photos from past Malice Domestics. And I’m looking forward to 2021 when (hopefully!) we can be together again, sharing stories and looking back on the year that wasn’t.

These first shots are from 2014.
Simply the Best Panel: the nominees for
Best Contemporary Novel

New Kids on the Block Panel: the nominees
for Best First Novel

Fellow Writer Who Kills (and travel buddy)
Martha Reed, the awesome Hank Phillippi Ryan,
and me.

Martha and her "newly found twin sister."


That's Jim Jackson, one of our former
Writers Who Kill with me after my
first ever Malice panel!

















The following pictures are from 2015 when I was nominated for the Agatha for Best First Novel! Mind totally blown.
New Kids on the Block Panel: Agatha
nominees for Best First Novel
(Mind still blown)


Cinderella at the Ball with my Pittsburgh Sisters
(and Mister!) in Crime cheering section!

2016. Color me gobsmacked. I was again nominated for an Agatha, this time for Best Contemporary. I knew I didn't stand a chance in the presence of these ladies, so there was absolutely NO pressure.

Simply the Best Panel: Agatha nominees
for Best Contemporary Novel

I love Catriona McPherson!

Hanging out with good pals
Edith Maxwell and Joyce Tremel

Moving on to 2017

Simply the Best:
nominees for Best Contemporary Novel

New Kids on the Block:
nominees for Best First Novel




Rural Mysteries Panel
(and me going all fangirl over Anne Hillerman!)
Add caption


Two amazing winners! Catriona McPherson
for Best Historical and Cynthia Kuhn for
Best First Novel!
2018 and another nomination!

Our own Debra Goldstein speaking
at the Guppies breakfast

Malice-Go-Round

Panel for Best Short Story nominees


Opening Ceremonies and the nominees
for Best Contemporary Novel
(I keep incredible company!)

Dressed up for the banquet

Pre-banquet cocktail party



Which brings us to 2019

More than anything, Malice is about
spending time with friends


Simply the Best Panel: nominees for
Best Contemporary Novel





Just a few of the Writers Who Kill

Getting silly before the banquet
Peter W.J. Hayes at the New Authors Breakfast

Attendees at the New Authors Breakfast
Thanks for the memories. See you (I hope!) in 2021!

And the Agatha Award winners are:

Best Contemporary Novel: The Long Call by Ann Cleeves
Best First Novel: One Night Gone by Tara Laskowski
Best Historical Novel: Charity's Burden by Edith Maxwell
Best Nonfiction: The Mutual Admiration Society: How Dorothy L. Sayers and her Oxford Circle Remade the World for Women by Mo Moulton
Best Young Children/Young Adult: The Last Crystal by Frances Schoonmaker
Best Short Story: "The Last Word" by Shawn Reilly Simmons 

Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!!!

15 comments:

  1. I also want to congratulate our WWK nominees, Connie Berry and Grace Topping for Best First Novel and Kaye George for Best Short Story. As someone who lost last night to ANN CLEEVES (!!!), I think you can agree what an honor it is to be included in such esteemed company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it makes me teary seeing all my friends. And, hey, that was a fabulous dress you had on, the blue one!

    Keenan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures!

    Hope to see everyone next spring at Malice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm missing everyone so much. There are so many joys of Malice and one of mine is seeing what you are going to wear. Your dresses are stunning! Thanks for sharing these pics, Annette. I will see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conferences are cool. They will return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Shari. I did buy a dress for this year before everything shut down. I guess I'll have it for next year, although I'll need to really work out to lose the comfort-food weight in order to fit into it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will keep my fingers crossed that we meet next year at Malice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll have to make a point of it, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics!

    Malice has always been one of those conferences I've been interested in attending, but it requires traveling across the country. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, that's how I've been with Left Coast Crime, which I hope to attend in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am just seeing this now--what a wonderful collection of photos... thank you for sharing, Annette!

    Miss everyone so much. xo

    ReplyDelete