Monday, May 11, 2020

A Moment of Calm

by Shari Randall

My local evening news has fallen into a pattern: Open with coronavirus statistics and news for the state; slot in one or two stories of national importance, then sports and weather; and end with an uplifting salute to those on the front lines. Just before the last segment, the station plays a video feature called Sixty Seconds of Calm, video of a brook, or sunlight on the ocean, or some similarly peaceful nature scene.

I've started looking forward to similarly peaceful moments in my day. I've discovered that I'm surrounded by them and it's just a matter of noticing and stopping to appreciate them. I found this little painted rock garden on the corner of a nearby street. I wish I could thank the family that hid it there for the neighborhood to discover. Since I first found it, I've seen others walkers do a double take and stop to enjoy it.

Thank you!


10 comments:

  1. I seek calmness every day when we're on our hour-long dog walk. And I'm grubbing in the garden every day too, though have to wait to plant until overnight temps rise above the mid-thirties.Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret, gardening is one of the most calming activities there is (unless you're fighting an insect invasion!) I hope your temps climb into more plant friendly territory soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rock garden! How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have to take time to recognize the calm moments (Smell the roses?)

    I've delighted in watching the progress of spring blooms, even though the mild winter seems to have upset the schedule a bit.

    We have an extra delight this spring. The dogwood around here have contracted a disease, and we thought most of the ones scattered throughout the woods had succumbed. However, this year, right on the heels of the redbud, we have a good scattering of dogwood in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever helps to soothe our nerves and spirits is of value, including the jokes, films of animal antics and beautiful vistas that fill our e-mailboxes every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rocks are lovely! Thanks for giving them to us, too.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a lot more strolling along than I did when I walked with a goal and a timeline in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Shari. We all need uplifting words these days--wherever we can find them. The news can be overwhelming, so I avoid it. I know what is going on--I don't need the details. But I do enjoy the stories of people who are doing good things. It reminds me of what Mr. Rogers said about looking for the helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You provided a moment of calm in a very stressful day. Thank you!

    What a wonderful (if unknown) neighbor you have, and what a fabulous news station. I may have to move to your state!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to find that rock garden! A few years back, I remember doing a fun activity with friends to write inspiring words or messages on stones.

    ReplyDelete