Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Trodding the Boards


by Paula Gail Benson

Either at year’s end or the first of the new year, my post is about the Christmas musical dinner theatre production held at my church. I’m both the writer and director for this effort--a great responsibility that is accomplished with lots of assistance from many folks, including not just the cast and company, but our great supporters who provide contributions, food, and encouragement throughout the process.

Participating in this operation makes me think I have a little insight into how Shakespeare worked. He knew something of his audience expectations (and, if we can believe Shakespeare in Love, had to deal with the commands of the sovereign). He was very familiar with his company of players, understanding their strengths and what made their performances shine. Having been an actor himself, he also could imagine the performers’ desires for new challenges. All those elements (along with limitations and innovations with staging, props, costumes, and sound effects) factored into the plays he wrote.

It’s an exhilarating, yet complicated process. Warren Bull understands, as you can see from his recent posts about “plotting songs.” (See: his initial and subsequent posts.)  From a writer’s standpoint, you get to see all aspects of your work come alive in great detail, including the characters, the settings, and the descriptions of all that takes place. You view how hand movements and facial expressions convey emotions. And, from a visual perspective, you learn about editing by seeing when something is overplayed or repeated too often.

Jinny Nantz, Asa Arnold, Jim Jarvis, Mark Wade, John Arnold, Olin Jenkins, Janie Fulmer, and the director silhouetted!
Photo by Colleen Fannin Arnold. 
When music is added to the mix, it gives the author and cast another means of exploring the themes of the play. Devotees of musicals and opera know that song can heighten and focus on a particular moment in ways monologue or dialogue are ineffective.

This year, I began planning an original work that would have taken ten or twelve actors. After canvassing the players, I learned that a number of our regular cast members could not participate due to other commitments. I had seven performers, and I knew my initial idea could not be converted for such a small group.

I began looking for adaptable short stories. I thought of O. Henry’s “The Gift of the Magi,” but it’s been done often and probably didn’t need as many as six actors.

Then, I came across an O. Henry short story called “A Cop and an Anthem.” It’s included as one of five O. Henry stories in an anthology film (O. Henry’s Full House) narrated by John Steinbeck. The story is about a homeless man, named Soapy, who tries to get arrested for three months so he has a warm place to stay for the winter. At the end of the story, while listening to a church organ, he’s ready to try a new life. However, that’s the moment he’s apprehended by the law and taken into custody.

Much of the story had to be revised and updated for a modern audience. And, I have to admit opting for a happy ending where our homeless hero, named Buddy, is embraced by the community and saved from a prison sentence. What made the tale special for our congregation is that we recently had our pipe organ restored. I found a company in the neighboring state of Georgia that created a backdrop for us featuring the image of our church and recorded our organist playing from the restored organ.
A view with our backdrop. Photo by Fran Bush.

One of our parishioners enjoyed the production so much he came to both performances! That’s a sure sign you have a hit.

As always, I’m tremendously proud of our actors, our musical director, and our sound and lighting crew. Our producer, John W. Henry, who usually commented on this post, passed away during the summer. This first show without him was bittersweet. But, he would have been proud that we raised over a thousand dollars to benefit a homeless ministry program.

I’m tremendously grateful for the opportunity I have to hear my words, lyrics, and music performed. It’s been an incredible benefit in all aspects of my writing.

Are you a theatre enthusiast? I hope so!

Our Cast with Crew Billy Itter and Dean Long and Music Director Margaret Davis.
 Photo by Heather Coats.


7 comments:

  1. A huge commitment and so much fun! Thanks for telling us about your latest production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such fun! Always impressed by your work on these productions, and always wish I could attend one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful project! And you do it every year. I love hearing about the plays, and if I were in the area, I'd definitely want to go to one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great production! Wish I were closer, I'd have been front and center in the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Margaret, Art, Kathleen, and Kait, for your kind and encouraging words! It truly is a joy and I wish you could all come to be with us! Maybe someday we can take our show on the road!

    Again, on behalf of all involved, many thanks!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do love theater productions and go as often as I can. I haven't been in one since I was in high school though. Like the others I wish I lived closer to where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Paula, on another successful production. Any hope that you can record it one year and post on YouTube?

    ReplyDelete