Saturday, June 6, 2015

Who Is An Everyday Hero? By Vicki Batman



Two years ago, my girlfriends and I went on our annual Christmas getaway. We ate great food and checked out historical homes decorated for the holidays.

After we returned to our rooms and put on our comfy jammies, we exchanged gifts and then, chatted about stuff. All kinds of stuff. This time, the topic turned to handsome hunky heroes.

Yeah, we went through all the normal attributes heroes are perceived to be, like firefighters and policemen, military, etc. Shirts vs. No Shirts. Out of nowhere, I added, "My heroes are handymen—plumbers, carpenters, electricians, and fixer-uppers like the guys on HGTV."

Needless to say, we were bowled over in hysterics.

But it's the truth. We'd rather have someone who could clean the pipes, patch a hole in the wall, fix a light fixture, and nowadays, keep our computer running. These are real men.

The giggles continued on when we began discussing the HGTV hosts that rock our world. And we did wonder if they were as helpful at home as they appear to be on television. LOL.

I tend to write about everyday heroes in my sweet meet stories and my romantic comedy mystery. Chances are we encounter them in real life more often than a Navy Seal or Army Ranger. The lawyer who volunteers to run a Christmas tree stand. The accountant who helps someone figure out how to fund a business. The restaurateur who provides jobs and helps the local animal shelter. The store
owner who wants to help his sick dad have a wonderful, last Christmas. The architect taking over his mom's business when she retires. The pilot donating a kidney. The schoolteacher who coaches a team.

They don't—usually—risk life and limb; they are the unsung guys who keep us going every day. Just normal Average Joes.

These small things are truly heroic.

BTW, did I mention the electrician is a fireman? LOLOL.


What kind of hero do you like to read about? Who are your heroes?

Bio for Vicki Batman:
Award-winning author Vicki Batman has sold many romantic comedy works to the True magazines, several publishers, and most recently, a romantic comedy mystery, Temporarily Employed, to The Wild Rose Press. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and several writing groups.

An avid Jazzerciser. Handbag lover. Mahjong player. Yoga practitioner. Movie fan. Book devourer. Cat fancier. Best Mom ever. And adores Handsome Hubby.

Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking "What if??"


17 comments:

  1. Welcomem to WWK, Vicki. My bet is the fixer-upper guys on TV leave stuff undone at home. The expression about the shoemaker’s children having no shoes has relevance, I think.

    I love the red typewriter keys on your book cover.

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I totally agree with you. My longtime ex-husband could and did fix everything. When I became newly single and bought 20 acres with an old farmhouse in terrible condition - think two basement walls collapsed, a leaky roof, etc. My 26 year old son fixed the basement walls, rewired the house replacing wiring put in in 1917, gutted the inside and put in new walls, a new kitchen and many other things. He and his family live sort of next door to me now, if you consider a pasture between us, and I can still count on him to fix things for me. I'm not looking for a new man at all, but if I were, it would definitely be a handyman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jim! That's pretty funny. My dad taught people how to fix helicopters and he did everything at home. Imagine me thinking Handsome would do the same. lol. Nope, I hired Handyman Bob and we are the bestest of friends. LOL

    I like the cover a lot too.

    Hi, Gloria! Is it something about manual labor that's attractive? Probably a bit. Probably goes back to caveman days where men took care of the women thingy? It's still the twinkle in a man's eye and a natural charm that's most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely do not qualify. I remember my father was very taken with one of my sister's boyfriends who was handy with anything. I think he was sadder than she was when the relationship did not work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Warren! That's hilarious. Some have a natural talent for fixing, like my dad. Like Handyman Bob. I just remembered--I put the water filter in the fridge yesterday. Doesn't make me a hero, but I am a fixer. lolol

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad could fix everything and anything. He must have saved the family thousands of dollars in plumbing costs, electrical, you name it. And then what do I do? I marry an electrician who can do the same things. Doesn't matter what's broken, he can figure out how to make it work correctly. He has a mind for that type of thing whereas I flunked astronomy because I don't understand how the earth twirls one way then goes another way which creates seasons, etc. I just don't get it. My husband does. Talk about marrying your father!!!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Patricia! LOL. Did I read somewhere that women marry someone like their dads? I have to say Handsome has many other talents. He started his own business 23 years ago and there is where he really shows his skills. So I guess if I have to hire someone, it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki, welcome to WWK - I have long loved your work in the Trues. You have a deft hand for humorous reality. My heros? My heros have always been the men and women who put themselves on the line daily for the rest of us, cops, firemen, military absolutely! Oh, yeah, a good plumber would be wonderful. And Patricia - we may be married to the same guy - - is that legal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Kait! Thank you so much for the compliment. I love writing shorts. Writing long makes me very antsy.

    Sometimes, we forget there are others who are heroes. For example--Handsome sometimes flies in a private plane and had a young pilot for a long time. I hadn't heard him speak of the young man and asked about him. Handsome told me he gave a kidney to a friend. Oh my did that speak to my heart. I'm sure his friend thought him a hero.

    Now, you and Patricia may have to do some seriously talking. Or share. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad wasn't handy around the house. I remember one time when he tried to fix an overhead light. My mom had to call the electric company to restore our service that was out for a day. At night we used candles to illuminate our dinner of cold food. I married a man who worked in an electronics store when he was in high school. He's great at splicing wires and can fix lights. But, for some reason, he thinks that means he can solve computer problems. It doesn't! I'm searching for a computer expert who makes house calls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FYI: ATT is giving me internet fits today. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Kara! LOL regarding the electricity. He tried. Lord, he tried. When you find the computer expert, be sure to share. My sons get so impatient with me. I just rebooted the ATT device without them. Another fixer for today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love the everyday heroes! So, of course, now that summer's here I've got to read your book! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That does sound like my type of hero!

    I'm married to a wonderful man with no mechanical ability. Ditto my son-in-law, who I adore.I can do some things, but my health isn't as good as it used to be. Right now, there are a million things around the house and yard that need attention. My brother is taking care of some of them, but I think I'm just going to have to break down & hire a local handyman.

    My vehicles and things I can transport, like my giant mower & chain saw, are in good hands if I get them down to one of my buddies, who takes good care of them for me (completely rebuilt the undercarriage of my 18 year old truck) but I live in PA & he's on parole in Maryland, and not supposed to cross the state line.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are some real hunks on the HGTV shows. I used to be in love with this guy on one of the home improvement shows named Sparky. He was an electrician. He wasn't the smartest guy in the bunch (he did get shocked a lot). But the eye candy made watching the shows with hubby more interesting. Now I wonder why the houses are so expensive and why'd they decide to go with that shade of tan...Still gotta love a guy who will do the laundry or change the light bulb... or even open that jar of pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luckily my hubby is a handyman and my tech guy all rolled into one. I do write and love to read about English lords. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Red! I think there is the line from While You Were Sleeping the heroine says to the young man she is enamored with that he is a hero to the person he gives up his seat on the train for. Small, yet kind. Thank you for reading!

    Hi, KM Rockwood! Sounds like you are married to a good man with many other assets. And mine is the same way. He can do things; he just doesn't have much time while running his business.

    Hi, Melissa! Handsome likes to load and unload the dishwasher. Isn't that funny? He's good for water bottle opening too. lol

    Hi, Angelina! You lucky girl. A two-fer. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete