Sunday, June 28, 2015

Books and birthdays

Today is my birthday.

Number thirty-four. (Wheeeee….)

Like most people, my birthday is a day filled with cake—calories most definitely don’t count, obviously—presents, and the go-ahead to do anything I very well please.

And there are a few things I typically always do on my birthday:

1. Go for a run. Because I love it AND because that just means MORE CAKE.

2. Watch Wimbledon. Though this year, the event is late and doesn’t start until the day AFTER my birthday. LAME. I deserve some measure of Rafa Nadal on my birthday, tennis event planners. Jeez.

3. Buy at least one book. My parents are still kind enough to gift their almost-middle-aged daughter with cash each year (Thanks, Mom and Dad!), and I typically make a beeline for the book store for something new and exciting in hardback.

Because it’s my birthday (and I’ll do what I want to!), I want to know: What book should I buy myself as a present?

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, although there must be a typo in the second sentence, as I know no woman who is 34. Twenty one, thirty-nine forever, maybe sixty-five because they are happy Medicare kicks in.

    But I’m okay with your prevarication, because you write fiction and I give extra allowances.

    Although I do draw the line at more than one birthday a year.

    So enjoy the day and have a splediferouos year.

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete

  2. Happy birthday, Sarah, and may it be one of your best. Lucky you to have parents who love books and passed that on to you. I was one of those lucky ones, too. Enjoy the book you get for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Sarah! Have a wonderful day, and I have read that calories don't count for your entire birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!

    Jim, my grandmother used to say your best birthday is your 75th. After that, no matter what happens or what you do, if you smile sweetly and say, "You know, I turned 75 on my last birthday," all is forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Sarah! Have a wonderful day and enjoy choosing your birthday book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Sarah! Thirty-four and you're claiming middle-age! If that's so, then middle-age spreads over a vast number of years, because that's what I claim, and I'm (ahem) a bit older than that.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Sarah! Hope you had a wonderful celebration and that this will be the year your writing wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone! I had a great day!

    For the record: I ordered Robert McCammon's THE RIVER OF SOULS. Couldn't find it locally, but excited to see it in a few days!

    ReplyDelete