Thursday, June 16, 2022

Ending a Series by Marilyn Levinson

I have loved writing the Haunted Library series. I love my  characters: Carrie Singleton, her friends,  relatives, and co-workers at the Clover Ridge Library. Evelyn the Ghost. Smoky Joe the library cat. I enjoyed helping Carrie develop from Goth Girl to becoming an effective head of programs and events; acting as a responsible member of the town council; able to sustain a deepening romantic relationship with Dylan Avery. The mysteries and adventures were always fun to write. But soon after I began the seventh book in the series I knew that the next book would complete my series' arc. Carrie's arc, actually, since her growth was always as important to me as the mysteries she helped solve. And once she was capable of leading a fully developed adult life, it was time for me to move on.

An idea for another series came to me a few years ago, one that I've been longing to start. Lately I've been thinking about its unique setting and how it impacts the characters who live there. My sleuth is a woman in her forties, a divorcée with a teenaged son. She's tougher than Carrie, but that's about all I plan to say about her for now. The tone of this series will be different from that of the Haunted Library series. What will remain the same are my concern for my characters and their relationships with one another as well as the mystery and mayhem that enter their lives.

A few readers have already told me they're sorry I am ending the Haunted Library series. I hope they will come to care for this new series as well. And perhaps some day in the future I'll return to the series when Carrie and Dylan are married and solving mysteries together like Tommy and Tuppence Beresford or Mr. and Mrs. North. I never know where my muse will take me.






11 comments:

  1. When a story is done, it's done. Wise of you to realize it and focus your energies elsewhere. I'm certain your readers will follow -- why wouldn't they? -- same great author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, your so right. We never know where our muse will take us. In the night last night I created a character named Quin Medley. She lives in NYC around the turn of the twentieth century, but that's all I know about her. I don't have time to learn more, but she's tucked away in my brain. Maybe someday she'll come to life, and then again, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We readers will miss that series, but look forward to your next ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, Judy. And sometimes I discover I've planted something in a book earlier in the series that has relevance in a plot point in a later book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen,
    Thanks so much. I'm hoping readers that enjoyed this series will want to read a new series I'll be writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the series will be missed --- you are the best judge of its ending and your excitement for future endeavors. Can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Debra. There's an excitement starting a new series that I'm looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to leave characters and settings behind, isn't it? But the fun and excitement of exploring and finding new friends and places . . . Best of luck, Marilyn! Your readers are looking forward to wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete