Saturday, June 29, 2019

A How-To Guide for Author Interviews by E. B. Davis

For the past nine years, I’ve conducted weekly interviews with authors on WWK. My main goal in interviewing authors about their books is to give readers a taste of novels that will help them decide if they want to buy books. In doing so, I try to cover: who, what, why, where, and when—basic information without spoiling the plot.

The vast majority of authors I’ve interviewed have answered my questions with poise and aplomb. It can be a delightful exchange. But there have been those authors who don’t seem to understand the process. Let me explain how it works on WWK, which may not be the same as on other sites.

Grace Topping and I read books, and then we decide if we will interview authors. If we can’t get a copy from the publisher for free, we may ask you for a copy, which shows our interest but doesn’t necessarily mean we will request an interview. Why? I realized a long time ago that every interview is an endorsement. If I read a book and haven’t enjoyed it, not only do I not want to endorse it, but I also find my interview questions gravitate to critical and pointed. Perhaps I’m too honest. I don’t get paid to do this so I have no incentive to waste additional time writing an interview for a book I haven’t enjoyed. My time is precious, and, more than likely, if I haven’t enjoyed the first few chapters, I discard it.

Please don’t assume you are doing me a favor by granting me an interview. Providing an interview is like a contract with equal partners. Yes, you are filling my Wednesday blog space, but I read constantly and can choose which authors I promote. I’m not saying that to be nasty. When I ask for an interview, I am promoting your book and have already read your book, which can consume from six to eight hours of my time. Interviews take approximately two hours to write, plus another hour to receive, get peer reviewed, institute markups on the interview and post it—in short, I give you a minimum of eight to twelve hours of my time promoting you and your writing.

Please take that into consideration when answering my questions, and please don’t treat me as if I’m an idiot. For example, one author quoted lines from her book with the page number, as if I were a poor student who hadn’t done my homework. There are times when I include “dumb” questions. It’s not that I don’t know the answer, but I’m providing you an opportunity to explain a point in your book, give insight into one of your characters, or explain what I felt was an interesting situation that readers would like to hear about. Engaging in battle with me is a boring waste of both our times and will turn off readers. Persuading readers to buy your book is what it is all about. You can do this in the following ways:

·      Write answers to interview questions as if they are part of your manuscript. Make sure your writing is up to your own standards. Interviews showcase your writing, which we all know is the definitive test.
·      Write answers in the same tone as your book. For example, if it’s humorous, I try to write playful questions for you to volley back to me and humor blog readers. I was shocked when a well-known writer of humorous mysteries answered every question like a straight-man. The interview defeated its purpose.
·      Give readers your insight. Perhaps you did extensive research and out of necessity couldn’t include it all, but it related to the subject. Let readers know about your knowledge. Perhaps there is a personal backstory that accompanies your writing. Readers want to know more about you and how that reflects in your work.
·      I will never ask you to reveal the plot. Some authors feel that anything they give away about the book is a spoiler. If you don’t want to talk about your book, please don’t accept the interview. Think of an interview as an extended book jacket. You have to give readers some information and that information, whether an unusual method of murder, an off-beat character, or a romantic situation, may intrigue to readers. By talking about your book, readers may relate to it, find it tickles their fancy, and decide to buy it. Most books are complex enough that answering interview questions will not spoil a reader’s experience. What you might think is a pivotal moment, out of the context of the book won’t give it away to interview readers.

If you really don’t want to answer a question—be evasive or coy—touch on the question to intrigue readers even more. In other words, show your prowess as an author, be creative, engage readers, and make your interview shine. If you’re not sure why I’m asking a question or have concerns, email me. I am here to assist you. 

14 comments:

  1. great blog, Elaine. You ask great interview questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful, Elaine. I'm going to save this for possible use in the future.

    You interview such a wide variety of authors, and your interviews are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is completely brilliant! Incredibly valuable, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Margaret, KM, and Hank! I want to interview all of you. I love interviewing authors. We must have another interview, Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So smart -- thank you, EB! I've been thrilled to be interviewed on WWK -- your questions are always so thoughtful and well-planned, and it's great to glimpse the thought process and planning you put into every interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful to get a peek behind the curtain and see what it is like on the other side of this wonderful process. I love being interviewed by you because your questions always make me think, and there is inevitably at least one that takes me down a road I have only traveled in my subconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Leslie. I wanted to give readers and authors Grace and my perspective. We must plan interviews at least two months in advance. First, most ARCs are only available about two months in advance--luckily--because we want to give authors at least a few weeks, if not a month, to get the interview back to us. Second, we then put each interview through the WWK peer review process to ensure that the interview reads as smoothly as possible and to avoid gaffs that the interviewers or authors inadvertently make. And third, we like to time the interviews as close to the book's release date as possible.

    The worst situation I find--reading a book I love, but not having enough blog space/time to be able to present an interview. This summer, I've taken a few guest Saturdays to present authors I've found who desire an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Barb--so brilliant--yes, reading books takes us into the author's mind, and then we take it into our own, which becomes a shared experience, a meeting of the minds, and a new pathway. I've caught myself dreaming about the books I've read. I'm either a character or an observer of scenes written. I've assimilated them, used them, and made them my own. Thankfully, dreaming isn't plagiarism!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elaine is a terrific reviewer! Her advice to authors is spot on!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I've been given quite a few interviews where the blogger asked everyone the same standard set of questions, so this was a real eye-opener about what a well thought out, properly targeted interview can be. Thanks for such a helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really helpful, Elaine. I've been both interviewee and interviewer, nd there were lots of times I wish, in hindsight, I'd read your guidelines. I always enjoy reading your interviews these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debra H. GoldsteinJune 30, 2019 at 8:55 AM

    On the money! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super message, Elaine. Thank you for your many hours devoted to showcasing authors and guiding us to new series!

    ReplyDelete