Saturday, April 7, 2018

Where Do You Write by Cindy Callaghan


As a writer, there are certain questions that I get asked a lot. One of the most common is, “Where do you write?”

I say, “In my Writing Cave.” 

What is it like? If you picture the Bat Cave, you’re pretty close. 

Except the walls aren’t stone; they’re mahogany. The skylight in the vaulted ceiling is partially blocked by ivy. The hardwood floor is cushioned by a slightly faded Persian rug with burgundy hues. Smooth jazz hums in the background; it’s white noise, and it melds with a gadget making nature sounds. Today it’s raining.
 
I sit at the well-worn leather executive chair; its high back cradles me in luxury. The seat is big enough for me to fold my legs, which I often cover with a thin red blanket.

There’s an endless supply of cold Dasani and hot coffee.  

My barnwood desk is clutter-free when working. Wood from the same barn was crafted into matching shelves and armoire that hold printer and supplies—notebooks labeled for each project, reams of paper, post-its, scented-colored markers, pens/pencils.
It’s like this:


**Stage direction:  Author pauses and re-reads her beginning paragraphs**

Okay, so my office isn’t quite like the dream painted above, which sounds fabulous, but I’m a writer on the move!

The reality is:
·      Coffee shops, anything with a table that’s open at the crack of dawn
·      My car – parked or in one of the bazillion carpool lines I sit in
·      The grocery store line
·      On a treadmill, stair climber, elliptical machine
·      Side-line at a track meet, soccer game, football game, rugby game, etc…

It’s more like this:

But, a writer girl can dream, can’t she?

So, tell me:  Where do you write?

Cindy Callaghan Bio:
Cindy Callaghan is a business professional and ‘tween writer. Her books: Just Add Magic  (2010), Lost In London (2013), Lucky Me (2014) Lost In Ireland (2016), Lost In Paris (2015)Lost In Rome (2015), Lost In Hollywood (2016), and Sydney MacKenzie Knocks ‘Em Dead (2017), Just Add Magic: Potion Problems (2018) and Saltwater Summers (2019) magically capture the tween voice and experience.
Cindy’s first book, the much-loved Just Add Magic, is now a breakout Amazon Original live-action series.
Cindy lives in Wilmington, Delaware.
Photo credits:  (Images from https://www.freeimages.com/)

 

4 comments:

  1. I write at the kitchen table within reach of the outside door to let the dogs in and out. I have a small bookcase nearby where I store notes and printouts for my current projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I write in my library/dining room surrounded by one long wall of books, another wall with a window on the south side of the library and bookshelves on each side of the window, and a large window on the east side of my library with a desk to the north of the window, and file cabinets with my radio/CD player on top of that covered with stacks and stacks of CDs. I have a large table in the middle of the room with benches on each side. The table is usually buried in papers I've printed out or junk mail and only cleaned off when I'm entertaining for Christmas or when I have one of my book clubs meet here. All my writing is done on my computer on the desk next to the large opening to my living room on the north side. On the other side of this opening is another bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write mostly at my desk that directly faces a lovely windowless wall with bookshelves to the right and behind me. I've found writing in airports during long layovers to be productive too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write in "the spare bedroom," also knows and "the junk room."

    I have it on my agenda (yet again) to tackle the buildup of "junk," which is mostly things we haven't used in a while, but seem too valuable or sentimentally attached to discard.

    The major advantage to it is that I have a lovely view of the woods, and there's plenty of space for the dog to lie down.

    ReplyDelete