Thursday, August 22, 2024

Would Jane Austen Be Published Today? by Connie Berry

 


This summer I’ve been rereading all the Jane Austen novels—actually listening to them on Audible, which is a slightly different experience. The narrator is all-important. Fortunately, with dear Jane, lots of alternatives are available.

I’ve really enjoyed this Austen binge, and it has occurred to me that this time through that I’m approaching these famous novels from the perspective of a writer rather than a reader. Which begs the question: Would the Austen novels be published today? Here’s my (purely personal) take:

* Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and Persuasion (probably in this order) have captured the hearts of readers from the Regency until today, more than two hundred years. I fell in love with them in high school and haven’t changed my mind one bit. In fact, now that I write novels myself, I appreciate them even more for their memorable characters, sparkling wit, fast-paced plotting, and realistic (if historical) dialogue.

* Mansfield Park not so much. I don’t remember disliking it when I read it first, but this time, I found myself irritated by the two main characters. Fanny Price, in my opinion, is weak, insipid, and colorless. Miss Austen feared readers wouldn’t like Emma Woodhouse, but for all her faults, Emma has spirit. And who doesn’t love a flawed character who learns and grows with experience? Miss Price learns nothing and falls into her good fortune through no qualities of her own, except perhaps patience. Her love interest, Edmund Bertram, is a pompous, self-righteous prig—second only to the infamous Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice. And that vague, unsatisfying ending? Any editor worth her salt would have insisted on a bit more drama.

* Northanger Abbey is another disappointment. Usually billed as a satire on the popular Gothic novels of Austen’s day, the Gothic elements are mostly confined to a relatively small section of the novel and seem to me silly and wholly unjustified. The heroine, Catherine Moreland, is another irritating character, jumping to ridiculous conclusions, which she then just as precipitously drops. Even more irritating are the author’s frequent intrusions into the fictional world, which serve only to make the story less compelling and more contrived.

I have one more story to go, one I’ve never read—Lady Susan, an epistolary novella, written in 1794. Called Austen’s “most scandalous novel,” it wasn’t published until 1871, fifty-four years after Austen’s death. Maybe I’ll find out why.

Okay, I’ve had my say. Now how about you Austen fans out there, both readers and writers—what are your thoughts?


16 comments:

  1. I agree many stand the test of time, but more would fail from the writing than the plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting comment, Debra. One thing I've found interesting in rereading her novels is seeing them almost as experiments. She tried different things--like the epistolary novels of the 18th century. Clarissa, by Samuel Goldsmith, is (at more than a million words) one of the longest novels in the English language. Glad she didn't try to beat him!

      Delete
  2. Not having read them, I can't comment on their quality, but with so many publishing options open today, my guess is she'd find some publisher for most of her works, and could self-publish the rest if she had a mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I can appreciate Miss Austen's works, I think they are much too wordy to appeal to modern readers in the general run of things. The characters and plots are great, but oh, those detailed descriptions, lengthy, rambling prose (especially the parenthetical minor details that are added,) and circuitous (although often amusing) situations.

    And I always felt sorry for Mr. Collins. He seems to me to be a sincere, if somewhat challenged, character who tries to do right for the family by seeking a bride among his cousins so the estate will stay in the immediate family. Instead, he is rudely rebuffed, and ends up marrying a pragmatic young woman who doesn't even like him, which he doesn't realize. Solely for his position and his money. I think he's an example of someone who today we would recognize as on the autistic spectrum, with limited social skills, excellent work ethic, good intelligence, and a very kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to look at Austen's novels from the historical perspective--I mean the rise of the novel. I studied that at university. She fits neatly into the progression AND rises above it at times.

      Delete
  4. My list of Austen favorites matches yours, Connie, and I've had the same question about how Austen would fare looking for an agent today. I like Henry James, too, but I bet Austen would have an easier time than he would getting published now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry James??? Oh my golly--I had to write a thesis on him in college. He was brilliant but nearly unreadable. His sentences are so long that by the time you get to the end of one of them, you've forgotten how they began.

      Delete
  5. If nothing else, Jane Austen‘s most popular books have stood the test of time. They have inspired numerous books and movies based on the same plot lines.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there are a lot of classic novels that might not get published today. I can just imagine an editor now looking at Jane Eyre and arguing that there is too much back story in the first few chapters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Tastes--and the quality of patience--have changed!

      Delete
  7. If Austen's characters and plots were set in a modern time period, particularly as movies, they would be popular. Her language, though, is impenetrable for the average reader. On of my favorite movie adaptations of Shakespeare is "The Ten Things I Hate About You," based on "Taming of the Shrew," as is the musical "Kiss Me Kate."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually asked modern authors to reimagine Austen's novels. I haven't read them, but I know that Alexander McCall Smith wrote Emma: A Modern Retelling. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Retelling-Alexander-McCall-Smith/dp/0804197954

      Delete
  8. I haven’t read Austen since high school thus, my recollections are rather misty. I have to say I agree about Northanger Abbey. That book introduced me to Cliff Notes. I couldn’t get through it. I had to cheat. Pride and Prejudice and Emma, both favorites and I think I will start my re-read with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should. I think you'd read them now, as I did, as a writer.

    ReplyDelete