Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Exploring a Solo Travel Myth by Martha Reed

The greatest freedom in being a writer is that it gives me free rein to be impertinent. I can go anywhere and in almost any situation I can exercise my curiosity by asking people questions. Most times folks look surprised, and then they look pleased at my interest in their subject matter expertise. When I do get an odd look, I simply explain: “I’m a writer.” And except for one insulted Chief Security Officer who I mistook for a traffic cop on the island of Naxos in Greece, that explanation usually gets me off the hook.

I’d planned on visiting Greece in 2020 with a jolly group of girlfriends when the COVID-19 epidemic hit. That plan collapsed. When we picked it back up again this year, circumstances had changed. One friend had permanently retired to Florida. Another was now hesitant about traveling to Europe on a plane. I was faced with two choices: give up the Greek adventure or go solo.

I voted for travelling solo.

A supporting corollary to my decision is that my curiosity gives me an unnatural boldness, an insistent itch to explore the world and go see the sights. Yes, I prefer to travel with a group. There is safety in numbers and travelling with a herd is definitely inside my usual comfort zone. But I discovered that travelling solo came with benefits. There’s no need to go through a group confab over which day trip tour or archaeological museum to visit. No need to discuss dinner plans and multiple options. I made my spur of the moment decision and went wherever my heart, hunger, or curiosity took me. Yes, I was a little hesitant about eating solo in a good restaurant, but I discovered that when I said, “Table for one,” I was welcomed with warm smiles, open arms, and a laminated menu wherever I went.

Fundamentally, everyone these days accepts a credit card, and VISA is a universal modern language.

So, where did I go? What was my quest?

I’m a writer. I sought out origin stories. I remembered the myths I memorized in Mrs. Zingale’s fifth grade Social Studies class in Chagrin Falls, Ohio when I was eleven. Since I was born in May, that made my star sign Taurus the Bull. It was only natural then that fifty years later I traveled to Crete to visit the Palace of Knossos seeking the fabled labyrinth and the fearsome Minotaur, the half-bull half-man monster.

Knossos was a major Bronze Age communal center of the Minoan culture. Reportedly, it’s the first site of European civilization. They’ve discovered two distant writing types associated with the Minoan palace there: Linear A and the later Linear B. Linear B has been translated. Linear A is still a complete mystery. As a mystery writer, that put this puzzling artifact, the Phaistos Disc (below) right up my alley.

It was a kick seeing these priceless and historic objects in person when I'd only seen them from art history books.

How do you feel about travelling solo? Do you need a prod, or use a justification for making a trip?

25 comments:

  1. I don't mind traveling alone, but not quite on the scale that you do it. In fact, I'm making a solo trip next month to New Mexico. (Hubby has to stay home to give Kensi Kitty her heart pills.) My biggest source of trepidation is my connecting flight through DFW. And to be fair, once I get there, I'll be staying with and spending time with a friend, so I don't know if it truly counts as traveling solo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette - even though I pretend to be cool about it, connecting flights stress me out. American Airlines cancelled my connecting Pittsburgh flight home this time but gave me vouchers for 1) a midtown Manhattan hotel room; 2) taxi rides to and from the airport, and 3) a $12 food voucher for dinner. Everyone in my family is a comedian. Reed's partner dropped a pin on the nearest New York hot dog stand because that's the only meal I was getting in the Big Apple for $12. LOL

      Delete
  2. I've never traveled solo except for work trips. I enjoyed your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Heather! This trip has given me the confidence to try it again (once the discretionary income well has filled back up). I"m thinking a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest might be next. Have you ever done a cruise?

      Delete
  3. Travelling solo, especially unstructured, certainly has its benefits. At this point in my life, though, I usually go with my daughter (we've been to China, Zanzibar, and a few other places together.) When time is limited--and when is it not?--an organized tour provides experiences like a sheep-dog demonstration on a remote farm in Scotland and a "private" dinner on a vineyard in southern France. It's also amazing to show up at a major attraction which has a line at the entrance that circles around the corner to have the tour guide announce, "We're here for our ten o'clock appointment" and sail right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about bypassing the line. I booked day trips off Viator with that feature. Knossos was fine, but the line to climb the Acropolis had hundreds of people in it. The small extra expense was worth it! And Zanzibar? That even sounds exotic. How was it?

      Delete
  4. I'll travel solo if that's the only choice, but these days for foreign travel I prefer small group guided tours so I can enjoy the stay and not worry about the details. It sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim - Yes, it was a dream bucket list trip especially the visit to Delphi and the Temple of Apollo. I love the history of the Pythia. It's a pity she isn't still spouting her predictions. Sheesh! What would she have to say these days? LOL. My next trip may be a guided river cruise. I've never traveled on a boat. Have you?

      Delete
    2. We took one large cruise ship (never again) to Alaska, and small ships (<150 passengers) to Antarctica and Costa Rica/Panama Canal. We took a 15 passenger catamaran to the Galapagos Islands this year and plan to take a 48-passenger canal boat through Scotland's highlands. My parents took a bunch of river cruises in the US and Europe and loved them.

      Delete
    3. You just reminded me that my Dad used to travel on ore ships around the Great Lakes. He loved it.

      Delete
  5. I'm okay traveling solo, but I prefer the company of friends. I loved seeing the pictures from your trip Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz - Glad to share. I felt like an intrepid reporter sending back missives to the folks back home.

      Delete
  6. I don't mind flying solo on domestic flights, but going international? Not sure I'd like that, nor would I like eating alone in restaurants. You are brave!! I'm also a homebody. I live in my favorite place so I don't miss travel. But go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm single so eating alone has never bothered me. I like food too much! Surprisingly, the best meals I had were in these little out of the way places and not the restaurants that were recommended on Trip Advisor. When in doubt, I follow my nose. LOL

      Delete
  7. I love to travel solo. Always have. The gateway to adventure when you can follow your whims and not the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kait - That's my takeaway from this trip. I have eclectic tastes especially when it comes to history (and stories). Traveling solo let me indulge myself!

      Delete
  8. When we travel, I'm sometimes out and about during the day without my husband or family, but we reconvene for dinner. My solo excursions usually are for intensive garden photography.

    Loved your Knossos photos! We picked our Greece tour specifically because it included Crete. I've been enchanted by the Knossos palace and Minoan culture since grade school. The same with Abu Simbel in Egypt. We took a boat across Lake Nassar to Aswan, and then a different boat from Aswan to Luxor. I loved river travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the insight, Margaret. I have a suspicion a river trip in in my future. And I loved Knossos and the Temple of Apollo. Also, I visited the city of Matera in Puglia on this trip. 10,000 years of continuous habitation, a city built into a mountain. It seems I'm collecting UNESCO world heritage sites.

      Delete
  9. LORI ROBERTS HERBSTAugust 27, 2024 at 1:00 PM

    As someone who enjoys going to movies and musicals on my own, I imagine I'd be fine solo traveling. What a fun trip you had! When I went to Greece back in 2009, it was HOT! But what wonderful sites we saw. I'm thrilled that you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori - I questioned making the trip in August. It was HOT. Luckily, everywhere I stayed had air conditioning. And even though it was a cultural tradition, I noticed that most folks headed inside from 2-4 PM, either heading for home for siesta or finding a cool, dark bar. LOL

      Delete
  10. Go, Martha! I loved reading about your solo Greek adventure and look forward to your river cruise trip!

    Anticipating solo travel puts me on edge. But then, when I'm out there on the journey, I feel all intrepid and enjoy myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly - I know the feelings but once I hit the road the magic happens. I'm usually all relaxed and settled in by the third day. Plus, I meet such interesting people from different walks of life. The best part of being a writer is asking: So, what's your story? And I have a new friend.

      Delete
  11. Martha, I loved following your trip on FB. I salute your bravery! I've never traveled alone internationally - I'll admit it, I like my hubby schlepping my bags. And his company, of course! I'm also looking at more cruises. I went on one that hit spots in the Mediterranean (Rome, Greece, Dubrovnik, Montenegro (magic!) and Venice). I loved going to sleep in one place and waking up in another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, didn't mean to be anonymous above!

      Delete
    2. Shari, that's a fun game I've been playing. Each night, I think: where was I one week ago? It is amazing how quickly the memory fades!

      Delete