Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Travel with Benefits

by Paula Gail Benson

[Note: many thanks to K.M. Rockwood’s suggestion for the title!]  

From: https://clipartix.com/travel-clipart-image-21712/

I’ve often heard that the most important thing a writer can do is finish the draft. Whether it’s a novel or short story, it can only be improved and perfected if you have a whole product on the table. Besides, by pressing forward, even if you’re not certain where you’re going, you sometimes encounter the unexpected.

Recently, I’ve been trying to observe this recommendation. I took a few days off to focus on a brief vacation and writing. During the day, I would write by hand, starting at the beginning of the story and advancing steadily. If I reached a point where I didn’t know the specifics of the action or a character’s response, I just noted what I thought happened and kept going.

So far, it’s been working well. (BTW, during breaks, I enjoyed time with friends and exploring new restaurants and locations—also very enjoyable! It’s important to encourage progress with rewards!)

I’ve always discovered ideas during travel. There is something about the mind being free to speculate while the body moves toward a destination that somehow leads to inspiration. In 2013, I wrote a post for Writers Who Kill about How Travel Benefits Writing. In that message, I mentioned how Robert Louis Stevenson was able to finish Treasure Island after traveling with his wife and stepson to Switzerland. I also listed three things travel makes you do: (1) face your fears by determining to go somewhere and actually starting on the journey; (2) leave your comfort zone and set off with the minimal required items packed; and (3) move. To humbly quote myself: “Motion provides its own momentum.”

Because I’ve kept my pen writing the next scene in my story, I’ve found unexpected developments. I’ve become very cognizant of pacing and the need to vary the types of action taking place. My characters have revealed themselves as they faced the next hurdle. I’ve been able to forget that the prose isn’t perfect. I know I’ll fix it in the editing process.

I’ve kept track of my story’s word count because the anthology to which I’ll submit has a limitation. Even so, expansions and contractions are what comes with revision. For now, I’m letting the story grow on its own, without restrictions or worries about holes.

Now that I’ve returned from the trip, I’ve continued the practice. When I take a break from the handwritten work, I type up the previous portions. That reminds me about details and gives me a chance to do some beginning editing, but I don’t dwell on major fixes. I don’t want anything to stop the momentum.

This past week, I sought some feedback on the rough product from a writing group. I did this with trepidation, hoping it would not stall my progress or inhibit my beliefs about the story. While I was surprised about some of the comments I received, I did not let them divert me from the forward propulsion. Onward! The end is in sight! I’m still moving ahead.

What’s your process? Does travel provide inspiration? What keeps you going until you reach the end?

13 comments:

  1. Process: on the computer. Favorite process: while looking at water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I handwrite anything it becomes an unbreakable cypher, even to me. So everything I do is on the computer, and I work much more efficiently when home. When I'm traveling, I want to experience the travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a story around every corner and beside every trail. We just need to sort them out and tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Finding what works best is 99.9% of the battle. I find if I don't edit as I work, I spend too much time thinking backward.

    As for travel, notes, notes, notes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travel lets my mind roam free. If I have a quiet afternoon, preferably overlooking the ocean, I'll tinker with a short story or do some free-writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so interesting to read the comments and to hear how each writer approaches the process. Thank you, Debra, Jim, Kathleen, Kait, and Margaret, for your insight. I always delight in reading your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I handwrite lists and organizational stuff, but if I try to write fiction that way, I get bored. As for travel, I do find it extremely inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, Paula. Maintaining forward momentum is key and not always easy. My process is a wandering plod that eventually gets me where I need to go. I write in notebooks, on scraps of paper, and on my laptop. I like and use all kinds of writing implements and surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula, It's so interesting to hear how your writing process works. I've gotten a few stories out of my travels, but traveling does nothing for my writing process in general. My ideas come in the shower, while walking, while waiting in a doctor's office. Or when I'm sitting at my computer. Somehow the ideas continue to flow and allow me to finish my novels. I'm curious about the comments your critique partners made. Were they helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Motion provides its own momentum." My new mantra! Thanks, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Paula, on making progress and enjoying your travels.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Paula. I can't write when I travel, but I find that I'm able to get "unstuck" if I do something totally unrelated to my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, Molly, Marilyn, Shari, Grace, and Susan, thank you so much for stopping by and telling us about your processes. Shari, may the mantra move your forward in your writing!

    ReplyDelete