Saturday, August 3, 2024

Library Reading by Mary Dutta

I’ve published thousands of words but never read them aloud. Short story writers don’t get as many opportunities as novelists do to do public readings. So when my local library announced an open mic night, I decided to participate. I figured it would be a low-stakes way to dip a toe into sharing my work with a live audience.

The event was hosted by a woman who teaches writing classes at the library, and many of the participants were her students. Others, like me, were simply local authors eager to share their work. More than one said it was their first reading. Whatever path led us there, we each got seven minutes at the microphone.

I signed up with no worries about that time limit. How long could it take to read a short story out loud? As it turns out, more than seven minutes. Even my shortest published story took longer than that to read. I eventually turned to an unpublished piece that was languishing on my laptop. With some diligent editing, I managed to get it down within the allotted timeframe. Barely.

The timing was less of a challenge for the poets in the group. The first person at the mic had plenty of time for a dramatic reading of his poem, switching accents and pacing the stage. One writer lingered over her marvelous imagery, while another paused to emphasize the passion she felt for the themes in her work.

Their poetry, and the other works presented, took me out of my genre bubble for an evening. My writing friends and the conferences we attend are mystery-focused, so I appreciated hearing song lyrics, a children’s book excerpt, and a first chapter of a novel where no one dies. I also appreciated being part of a writing community, if only for one evening, that I hadn’t known surrounded me.

I’m happy to say that my reading did not exceed seven minutes. Maybe next time I will have a different time limit. Maybe I’ll read an excerpt of a longer piece. Maybe I’ll start writing flash fiction. Whatever the circumstances turn out to be, I’m ready for another turn at the mic.


What do you enjoy about readings, as either an author or an audience member?

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I've given a few book talks and usually read a paragraph from the first chapter to get the discussion going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readings bring back memories of being a child and listening to stories, especially ones that continued. The anticipation of the next part! Now, if a reading fascinates me, I can get the book and finish it myself. One of my most sorrowful memories was when I was in the 4th grade, and we moved mid-story! Of course, I didn't know the name or author of the book being read. It took me a few years to find it--The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Readings are so much fun. I enjoy hearing the works of others, and when it’s my turn, I love the experience of having my finger on the pulse of the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on taking that on. I wouldn’t mind doing a reading, but I feel awkward using different voices for the various characters.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete