Monday, August 12, 2024

I'll Take the Misspellings, Thank You Very Much

 By Shari Randall

The advertisement was meant to fill viewers with warm fuzzy feelings, but instead it made my blood boil.

 

If you’re watching the Olympics, I’m sure you’ve seen this ad. A cute little girl wants to write a fan letter to her idol, a track and field star. Her dad decides to use AI (I won’t name the actual company or program but it’s in the image) to write the fan letter.



Yes, our tech overlords think you should have your child use their AI product to write a fan letter to their idol. AI can take out all the pesky misspellings and grammatical mistakes that let you know a letter was written by small human, all those childish errors that tell you the message is straight from the heart. It boggles the mind that this advertiser doesn’t understand that it’s those mistakes that make the letters charming and precious, but it confirms my belief that most tech is created by people who do not spend much time around children. Most parents could predict that this ad would blow up, and not in a good way.

 

Here’s a real-life letter from my great niece, and let me tell you, every time I see “Ont Shary” instead of “Aunt Shari” my heart melts.

Back to this bone-headed ad. My dismay is compounded by a memory of a teacher telling us that “writing is thinking on paper.” So this ad basically says let this machine think for you. Not heartwarming, but chilling.

Many journalists and bloggers have flayed this ad, but a detail that some have missed is that it’s a parent asking AI to formulate the letter. (I have a hard time using the word “write.”) You can see the market for this product — the helicopter parents who worry about their child getting into a “good” school will have AI complete those pesky assignments so their kid can be assured an A. The kids won’t have to lift a finger, read anything, or most importantly, actually learn anything. With this product, children can sail through school with all A’s and learn nothing.


I know there are programs that can identify papers written by AI, but it’s an arms race and those with resources will always be able to stay a step ahead. Perhaps being less tech-savvy and poor will be an advantage. Perhaps those students will be forced to study, write their own papers, and actually learn something.

 

Yes, I sound like a scold, but I’m tired and I’m still mad because this tech behemoth used my first book without my permission to “train” their monster. Billions were spent developing this product, hours of work by the best-educated minds on the planet wasted on this instead of solving world hunger, poverty, illiteracy, or any of the myriad problems humanity faces.


It's funny, but as I was dictating this to my phone, the program refused to type the word  “learn” — ha ha, that AI knows what it’s about.


Before you get the wrong idea, I’m no Luddite. I have no trouble with machines telling me which ingredients to buy for a recipe or making my shopping list. But scientists have warned that a small section of the human brain that helps us with directions has shrunk because we are so reliant on GPS mapping. We know an increasing number of car crashes can be attributed to people mindlessly following the directions of their GPS and not the reality around them. AI is a crutch that can make us stumble to our knees.

 

UPDATE: The ad was pulled after blowback from viewers. The advertisement may have made me see red, but I’m glad it aired. Now we know what the tech companies are up to.

 

What’s your take on AI? 


Shari Randall writes the Ice Cream Shop Mystery series under her pen name, Meri Allen.

 

17 comments:

  1. I have yet to see anything AI related that was actually an improvement on what humans would do. I know it's coming. I'm sure we will adapt. But I do fear we will lose something along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. It's been here for awhile (those pesky chat bots) and they're nothing but an annoyance. And don't get me started on AI "art" and computer-generated "books!"

      Delete
  2. Although I know A1 already influences so many things in our lives (technology behind much of what we use on the computer and our phone apps), the step of writing term papers, college applications, and letters to our aunts (which will be next based on autocorrect) is a step too far in terms of destroying critical thinking and brain. Development. There has to be a balance and it can only be set in place by humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I'm afraid the humans who want AI the most are not concerned with balance.

      Delete
  3. AI scares me on a multitude of levels.

    I missed that ad, for which I'm grateful. My blood pressure doesn't need any added incentives to skyrocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my blood pressure was through the roof!

      Delete
  4. AI is a broad-brush name to a massive set of tools and technologies. I use some AI tools daily; some I will probably never use. The biggest problem for humans is to determine how and when to use AI technologies. The corporate execs, advertisers, and one fictional parent have all learned that (at least for now) helping a small child write a letter is not a good use. We'll see over time how real parents make similar decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jim. I'm not optimistic. We all gave in to "smart"phones and look where we are now.

      Delete
  5. AI is a tool, and like any tool, it can be used responsibly or abused. We are well down the road to "dumbing down" our kids in some ways. How many of them can read cursive? How many were taught using "whole language" and can neither read well nor write a complete sentence? On the other hand they can, without a hitch, use technologies with which I struggle. I think AI will continue the trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've given them too much credit for "using technologies" - as my favorite aunt used to say, "it's just pressing buttons."

      Delete
    2. Reminds me of an uncle who flew commercial jets internationally. He maintained his job was two brief periods of operating machinery, at the beginning and the end, but otherwise was hours of down time when he merely monitored the equipment, which ran itself.

      Delete
  6. Jane Friedman stated that she used AI to write brief chapter summaries of one of her non-fiction books as a time saver. Her publisher had requested them. Yes, it has uses, but too many abuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree there are uses, but I feel that so many are being foisted on me without my consent, and without any benefit to me (it's all about me ha!) Just yesterday I struggled for half an hour with my health management system to make an appointment. I gave up and phoned, spoke to a human, and within 41 seconds (I timed it) I had an appointment.

      Delete
  7. I read something about AI that brought me up short. AI “learning” centers generate enough heat that the Paris Olympics used the recapture to heat the pool? So while we’re all striving to reduce our carbon footprint, AI is chugging right ahead, damaging the environment. The Olympics have ended. Where's all that heat going now? Where does the heat from other "learning" centers go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief! Thanks for sharing that - I had no idea!

      Delete
  8. AI info was all new to me until last week's #IWSG question about thoughts on AI. So many pros and cons to its advancement. What I do know is that my favorite taped-to-door drawing was specifically written for "Ant" Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Ant Gail” - I love it!

      Delete