Friday, August 2, 2024

Comfy and Cozy, by Lori Roberts Herbst

I enjoy reading most fiction genres, from thriller to horror to science fiction. But when I embarked on my journey as an author, there was little doubt I’d write cozy mysteries.

 

For one thing, since childhood I’d always been drawn to a good whodunnit. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys were constant companions. As I aged, cozy mysteries offered a much-needed escape from the stressors of the world — as well as an optimistic reminder that good can triumph, people can be kind, and happy endings are possible.

 

As a cozy reader, though, I’ve discovered that, aside from the overarching feel-good themes, there are a few elements that make me enjoy certain cozies more than others. Note that these are personal preferences. Each reader’s tastes are different, which is why so many authors with differing styles can flourish. 

 

That said, here’s what I want to see in a cozy:

 

In terms of structure:

 

Fairly short chapters. Perhaps my attention span has diminished with age, but a short chapter keeps me focused and eager to continue turning pages. Since I savor the sense of accomplishment in finishing something, I’m more likely to pick up the book and start reading even if I just have “a few minutes.” One brief chapter often leads to another, and my few minutes can turn into an hour. If a chapter is short, there’s always time for “just one more…” 

 

“Cliffhanger” chapter endings. I don’t require, or especially want, a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter, but it’s a plus if many of them end with something suspenseful. (Note: I’m not a particular fan of ending the entire book with a cliffhanger. I prefer the mystery to be wrapped up by the end of the book.)

 

Description that’s “just right.” As a reader, I desire enough descriptive elements to enable me to picture the overall scene or character. But I also want the freedom to fill in some details myself. An abundance of description can pull me out of the story.

 

Tension and danger interspersed with reprieves. When the protagonist of a cozy mystery faces danger, my heart rate speeds up. But that heart rate can’t — and shouldn’t — remain accelerated forever. I also need an occasional reprieve from the tension.

 

In terms of content:

 

A smart protagonist. I don’t want the main character to be witless. She shouldn’t journey into danger without a reason I can understand and embrace. Those teenagers in the 70s horror flicks who walked willy nilly into the basement of the obviously haunted cabin never captured my imagination. I want to root for the hero, and to do that, her actions must make sense to me.

 

Close-knit community — friends, family, pets. The mystery is important to the book, of course, but it is these elements that make me continue with a series. 

Humor. The best cozies make me laugh, often out loud. I enjoy quirky supporting characters, banter between friends, and even an occasional slapstick scene. Providing laughter is a good technique for offering that reprieve from tension, as mentioned above.

 

Light romance. I enjoy a good romantic subplot, an arc that can grow throughout the series. Some cozy readers despise love triangles, but I have no particular aversion to them, though I want to see them resolved at some point. (Personal preference: I want the good guy to get the girl…)

 

And that’s just about everything I want in my cozy reads. Oh, yeah. Except for a murder…or two…

 

What are your personal reading preferences?

 

The Callie Cassidy Mystery series is available on Amazon Kindle, Kindle Unlimited, and paperback.

 

***

 

Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado, and the soon-to-be-released Seahorse Bay Mysteries, set in a Texas cruise port town. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 

11 comments:

  1. I found myself nodding with the structure and content points you like to see, although I generally prefer gritter works than most cozies present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstAugust 2, 2024 at 12:37 PM

      I think the structure points also apply to what I like to see in traditional mysteries, thrillers, and action.

      Delete
  2. Good list of attributes. I write grittier amateur sleuth mysteries posing a social problem that needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstAugust 2, 2024 at 12:38 PM

      I love those, too. I read almost all genres and still like shorter chapters, etc.

      Delete
  3. You’ve summed it up, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've definitely covered the major points! I also like there to be 3-dimensional suspects. Don't make them all "villains" -- it's not much fun to read a book where you hardly like anyone. I want the protagonist to actively sleuth rather than stumble upon clues. And I want her to have a really good reason to not let the police handle the investigation on their own. Being nosy isn't enough. And I want growth of characters and relationships throughout a series. My gosh, I'm needy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect cozy. And I find all those things in your books.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete