Saturday, April 20, 2024

What Nancy Drew Taught Caitlin Clark by Judy L Murray

I admit, I am obsessed with Nancy Drew. Then again, I’m obsessed with most famous women sleuths, from young to old. Trixie Belden, Jane Marple, Nora Charles, Jessica Fletcher, Agatha Raisin, Precious Ramotswe - you name them and I’m likely a huge fan.

Then there’s Caitlin Clark, the record-breaking sports phenom. Caitlin is described as a singular force in women’s college basketball like no other. The final game, between South Carolina's Gamecocks and the University of Iowa's Hawkeyes, peaked at a whopping 24 million viewers combined on ESPN and ABC, making it the first time in history that a women's final in any sport draw a larger TV audience than the men's, according to ESPN. Her talent, drive, and focus have brought women’s basketball into the hearts and minds of many, even those who before Caitlin had little interest in women’s sports.


Remind you of another female phenom?
Nancy Drew was introduced in April 1930, an extremely tough time for our country and the world. The Secret of the Old Clock, Nancy’s first case, was on the New York Times Best Seller list for almost two years. It was unprecedented, especially for a sixteen-year-old female character only ten years after women won the right to vote. Four more of her adventures were released that same year. To date, 175 mysteries, over 80 million copies, have been sold. The world embraced Nancy Drew and the concept that women could be smart, seek adventure, and persevere under pressure. She encouraged a love of reading when a generation was swamped by sadness, shoes lined with cardboard, and absent fathers.

In the midst of the Great Depression when books were a luxury, soup kitchens were common, and families often divided to find jobs, people scrounged up the money to purchase Nancy’s adventures. Nancy Drew became a popular role model impacting generations to come, including young women like Caitlin Clark. I remember in the 1960’s, my fervent hope was to talk my father into buying me her latest adventure. He’d take me to the local pharmacist on Sunday afternoons where I’d spin the display wheel of books with longing eyes.

So, what does the icon Nancy Drew teach Caitlin Clark and any young woman who wants to excel in sports, art, science, or raising strong and stable children?

Caitlin Clark Instagram

1.     Self-discipline. Nancy is prepared. She’s aware of her surroundings. She doesn’t sleep in. She keeps an overnight bag for emergencies in her trunk. When she’s on the case, she’s tireless.

2.      Determination. Nancy is not side-tracked by naysayers who attempt to discourage her or Friday night partiers. She stands up for herself even in the face of criticism, determined to excel, to build on her own talents. She’s indefatigable.

3.     Courage – Nancy is fearless. Nancy searches in musty basements, spooky attics, caves, and under crumbling walls. She travels the world outside her safe Midwestern community. Nothing holds her back from fulfilling what she believes is her destiny.

4.     Respect with self-respect. She’s a young woman who respects her seniors but never caves. She’s committed to her objective. She’s not intimidated. She believes in herself.

5.     Can work under pressure. She taps Morse Code while tied to a chair. To think is to act.

6.     She values loyalty to family and friends. Nancy’s acquaintances often face difficult odds, but they know they can depend on her. She steps forward to seek justice and close the case, time after time.

Nancy Drew and Caitlin Clark are exceptional at their craft. They inspire. They leave me with much to emulate.

Who provides you with inspiration when you stare at a blank page, feel the self-doubt of a muddling middle, or face a fourth revision? Try to picture Nancy and Caitlin. Nancy would be on the case, chin up and flashlight in hand. Caitlin would stand mid-court, call up her confidence, and take that three-point shot. 

25 comments:

  1. Fun comparisons, Judy, and great words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette, We can learn a lot from women sleuths!

      Delete
  2. I had not thought of linking the two before your suggestion, but I can see it. I wonder if Caitlin read Nancy Drew mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m convinced Caitlin grew up reading Nancy. Wish I’d get a chance to ask her.

      Delete
  3. What would Nancy do? I should ask myself that question more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to WWK, Judy. Great post -- wonderful comparison. (Even though I'm a UCONN fan, I admire all the players.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m a Syracuse Orange fan but who can’t admire how Caitlin has done for women’s sports?!

      Delete
  5. Love your comparison and agree that Caitlyn has all those qualities of Nancy Drew. I love reading Nancy Drew as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the comparison. If you would like to know what Nancy’s doing now, hope you’ll consider discovering my Chesapeake Bay Mystery series.

      Delete
  6. Terrific post, Judy, and excellent points. Young girls can learn from roll models like Nancy and Caitlin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debra H. GoldsteinApril 20, 2024 at 9:41 AM

    I was never a Nancy Drew fan, but I think the comparison is well made. Just tell me, I know Caitlin is getting commercials, but does she have a convertible like Nancy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have to investigate. I’d surely like to be driving her blue coupe.

      Delete
  8. Ah, yes. Nancy Drew. She was also an early example of a teen who managed to solve mysteries with little or no adult assistance.
    In my neighborhood, the best gift a girl could get at a birthday party was a Nancy Drew book. The local store which sold them would gift wrap them and promise, in the case of duplicates, to exchange them if they were in pristine condition. They cost $1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a girl, I couldn’t think of something more fun than hiding in my room on a rainy Sunday to read my latest copy. Heaven. Last year at Bouchercon a book dealer had a first edition for sale for $6,000.

      Delete
  9. Very enjoyable post, Judy! Even though I’m a UConn fan I enjoyed the parallels you drew between Caitlin Clark and Nancy Drew. I’ve been a fan since forever, and still remember the joy of receiving one of those wonderful yellow hardcopies for my birthday. Thanks for taking me back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watched both of the Final Four with the Iowa girls since I only live about 30 minutes from Iowa. I'd never considered this comparison. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always admire strong women. Nancy and Caitlin demonstrate how to be our best.

      Delete
  11. This is a wonderful comparison, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful debut blog! Nancy was my role model. I couldn’t wait to get my driving license so I could solve mysteries, too. Of course, that didn’t happen, but I think Nancy was a great influence, and Cherry Adams, let’s not forget Cherry Adams, and the Dana Girls. They all demonstrated can do and perseverance. The mind boggles at the thought of 175 mysteries. I had stories 1-43. Some in two editions since the earlier ones were pre-update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kait! I loved Cherry Adams and trying to remember the heroine who was a flight attendant. So many great stories of brave young women that followed in Nancy’s footsteps. I always wanted to be as brave as Nancy. Alas, still working on it.

      Delete
  13. Beth Schmelzer and I have had a bit of fun trying to remember the flight attendant mystery series. Between the two of us, we came up with her name - Vicki Barr. :)

    ReplyDelete