Friday, April 5, 2024

Making Books Easier, by Lori Roberts Herbst

As an indie published author, I do my own preparation for publication, so I’m constantly on the hunt for tools that will make the tasks flow more smoothly. (I almost wrote effortlessly instead of smoothly, but what a lie that would have been, as my gray hair can attest.)

 

This week, I completed the formatting of GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series, and it was by far the easiest of my books, thanks to the newest software in my arsenal.

 

The unbridled joy of stumbling across software that makes publication less complicated got me thinking about the tools I rely on to carry out the many tasks involved in writing and publishing books. Gone (for me, at least) are the days of dipping the nib of a fountain pen into an inkwell and scratching words on paper—then scratching those words out, redipping, and beginning again… Now, I type, delete, retype, and edit, all the while thanking my lucky stars for the resources literally at my fingertips.

 

Here's a list of what I use to facilitate the process:

 

Hardware:

  • My Mac. In my first year as a journ
    alism teacher, I purchased two small, box-shaped Macs for my classroom soon after they were introduced. I’ve been fangirling over Macs ever since. (An extra monitor helps so much—especially during editing.)
  • Remarkable 2 etablet. This is a more recent find, but I love it so much it almost hurts. My R2 has replaced the multitudes of legal pads I once toted around and shuffled through, searching for that one list, that one scene…it’s here somewhere.... I still handwrite my thoughts and can print them if I want a hard copy, but everything is stored in one slim tablet—and linked to my computer through the cloud. I even use it to edit pdf versions of books.

Software:

  • Scrivener. One of the top features is the corkboard, which I utilize to organize scenes and keep track of timelines. Also, Scrivener enables me to compile my manuscript into different formats, from epub to pdf. 
  • Microsoft Word. I can’t say I love it, but it’s so much part of electronic life that it’s a must-have.
  • ProWriting Aid. Each of my books is professionally edited, and I use beta readers to catch errors and plot holes. But PWA provides another level of proofreading. It’s a beating to go chapter by chapter, turning up grammar, diction, and style errors, but there’s no doubt in my mind my books are better for it.


  • Vellum. This is my newest find, the software that made me giddy with delight over the past few days. The software seamlessly formatted my manuscript into beautiful, professional ebook and paperback versions. In the past, I dreaded formatting into paperback more than almost any other aspect of self-publishing. It used to take me a full day to prepare a print book for uploading. With Vellum, it took an hour. (Note: Vellum is available only on Mac.)
  • Canva (and to a lesser degree Book Brush). These graphic design programs are helpful for marketing. I create my social media illustrations and Facebook ads on Canva. I haven’t explored Book Brush as much and mostly use it to transform my book covers into 3D formats for posts and ads, but exploring its further uses is high on my list of things to do.
  • FB/IG scheduler. I’m an author who enjoys social media interactions with readers, but I sometimes found it burdensome trying to engage daily. When I figured out how to schedule posts in advance, it put the fun back in social media.
  • Bookfunnel. This program offers an excellent path to get books into the hands of ARC readers. My next goal is figuring out how to use it to build my newsletter subscriber list.
  • Plottr. I bought this for a great price but haven’t started using it yet. My focus will be maintaining a series bible for the new series I’m planning.

 

Other programs I use that still have me tearing out my (gray) hair:

  • Mailerlite. Yes, I know, I need a newsletter. And honestly, until the whole email verification debacle, it was fine. But I can’t say I ever particularly enjoyed using it.
  • Squarespace. Another necessity for an author is a website, I’m told. Mine is woefully in need of an update. Since website design doesn’t come naturally to me, though, it falls low on my priority list.

 

What tech tools, writing or otherwise, have made your life easier?

 

GRAVEN IMAGES, book 6 in the Callie Cassidy Mystery series, releases April 23 and is available for preorder on Amazon.

 

***

 

Lori Roberts Herbst writes the Callie Cassidy Mysteries, a cozy mystery series set in Rock Creek Village, Colorado. To find out more and to sign up for her newsletter, go to www.lorirobertsherbst.com 


14 comments:

  1. Hi lOri, it's always great to learn what others are doing. I'm a Windows person so not Mac, but I use many of the same tools. I have just the laptop, but I do have desktop dual monitors that I would not want to do without.

    I also have Scrivener, Word, ProWritingAid. Vellum requires Apple products to use. I use Draft2Digital and the free Calibre sofware to create eBooks, and Word and NitroPro (to create a PDF) for print layout. Although I occassionally use Canva, I spend the money on Adobe Photoshop, primarly because of my photographs.

    I haven't dipped into FB schedulers, in part because just when I was going to FB changed access to the API and broke a lot of them and I chose to wait for the dust to settle.

    I use Bookfunnel for ARCs and for reader magnets and freebies for my Readers Group newsletter subscribers. I might be expanding my use of their platform to directly sell audiobooks.

    I use Excel spreadsheets in place of programs like Plottr. I also use Mailerlite, having switched from Mailchimp.

    I do my own html coding for my website, and prefer not to use Squaresapce, Wordpress, or other free systems that tend to lock me into their ways of universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 5, 2024 at 11:07 AM

      That's exactly what frustrates me about Squarespace, Jim. I have an idea in my head of the way I want something to look, but Squarespace won't allow me to create that image. Unfortunately, I don't have the skillset to code for myself—nor do I want to develop that skillset...lol!

      Delete
  2. Lori, now you have me lusting after a Remarkable 2. Maybe I can ask for one for my birthday. Hmmm.

    I used D2D for formatting my indie-pubbed novel and short story collection, but if I ever indie-pubbed again, I would invest in Atticus, which as I understand is like Vellum except it's available to PC users. I have a friend who swears by it.

    I use Scrivener for plotting and organizing, but not for drafting, which I do in Word.

    I love hearing how we all use different tools and methods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 5, 2024 at 10:58 AM

      I've heard great things about D2D and have considered giving them a try. But I enjoy doing it myself now that I have Vellum. Does D2D help with distribution?

      Delete
  3. Debrs H, GoldsteinApril 5, 2024 at 7:03 AM

    I always thought I was computer literate or savvy until I met scrivener. For me, it does not compute. Even seminars haven’t helped. I can use parts but the whole never gels. Consequently, I feel condemned to using word with my own notes or spreadsheets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 5, 2024 at 11:00 AM

      It's so interesting to me how different brains deal with such things. Word drives me nuts, for example, and Scrivener comes fairly easily to me. Not sure why, but I guess the trick is finding what works for each of us.

      Delete
  4. Somehow ChatGPT wants to be my copilot. It keeps popping up and won't go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 5, 2024 at 11:01 AM

      I'm still too intimidated by ChatGPT to try it...

      Delete
  5. This is great, Lori! As a Windows user, I do use many of the same aids and lusted after Vellum until Atticus came along. It’s my go to for formatting and it has never let me down. I also use ProWritingAid, and next up on my to be explored list is Bookfunnel and paid Canva. Software can make life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 5, 2024 at 11:02 AM

      It sure can—until it doesn't...lol! Technology is great until it changes or stops working, which seems to happen frequently. But I will say that the learning curve keeps me young...when it's not aging me dramatically.

      Delete
  6. You're always full of good tips, Lori. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me yearn for the days when all you had to do was write the book and expect the publishing editor to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I type on Word, but I don't use anything else (except an old fashioned spiral notebook.) I don't have the patience to learn any new software. I have Wix for my website and am fairly happy with it. I'm sure this list will be extremely useful for the writers out there. Great post, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all for anything that makes the tasks easier. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

    ReplyDelete