Sunday, April 14, 2024

MALICE DOMESTIC, WHERE WRITERS' DREAMS COME TRUE

 By Korina Moss


As I begin to prep for my trip to Malice Domestic in less than two weeks, I’ve been thinking about all the dreams that I’ve realized there. Malice Domestic is a three-day fan convention/ conference in Bethesda, MD, attended by hundreds of authors and fans alike. It celebrates the traditional mystery, books best typified by the works of Agatha Christie. (Hence, the name for the Agatha Awards voted on by Malice attendees and handed out at the awards banquet.)

This will be my third year attending, and boy, I never imagined what amazing experiences this conference would bring me, or how many of my dreams would be realized. If you’re a mystery writer – published or not yet published—who might be hesitant to attend, let me tell you what can happen if you go:

You can meet your favorite authors.

You can connect with other writers and readers.

You can finally meet your online friends in person.

You can meet booktubers and book bloggers. 

You can make new friends.

You can learn interesting craft tips from author panels.

You can discover more about your favorite authors. 

You can find new authors whose books you’re dying to read.

You can discover publishing tips and inside scoop.

You can buy too many books and get them signed.

You can get free swag.

You can be on an author panel (sometimes with authors you used to read when you only dreamed of getting published).

You can introduce readers to your books.

You can meet readers who love your books.

You can find out you have fans!

You can dine with your editor. 

You can be nominated for an Agatha Award!

You can win an Agatha Award!

You can discover how incredibly nice and supportive the mystery writing community is.

You can get inspiration you need to keep going.

You can feel you belong.

Writers Who Kill at Malice Domestic, 2022

Agatha Award Nominees, Best Contemporary Novel


This year’s Malice Domestic marks it’s 36th year and takes place on April 26-28th. I was honored to win the Agatha Award last year for Best First Novel for Cheddar Off Dead. I’m honored to be nominated again this year for Best Contemporary Novel for Case of the Bleus, alongside my fellow nominees Ellen Byron, Annette Dashofy, Tara Laskowski, and Gigi Pandian. 

For more on me and my fellow nominees, go to Leslie Budewitz’s blog post, “And The Nominees Are…

For more on Malice Domestic, go to MaliceDomestic.net. For more information on my Cheese Shop Mystery series, go to korinamossauthor.com.


Readers: Have you ever been to a writers' convention or conference? How was your experience?




21 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinApril 14, 2024 at 1:02 AM

    Love Malice for all the reasons you articulated ( although I’ve only made it to the nomination stage but that was a trip, too). Only sorry not to be able to attend this year post surgery. Plan to be there next year to once again experience everything you listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll miss you, Debra. And yes, I've only made it to the nomination stage, too, but it sure is fun!

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to seeing you next time, Debra. I hope your recovery from surgery is going well.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the several times I participated in Malice. And while it has all the benefits you mentioned, for me it's traveling in the wrong direction at this time of year -- and my novels don't fit well with much of the audience. I do miss seeing my author friends, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a picture of us, Jim, at my very first Malice panel. The one with the hats! So much fun!

      Delete
    2. I understand that, Jim. The distance is what has kept me from Left Coast Crime and Bouchercon thus far. Hopefully we'll meet at one of these conferences one of these days!

      Delete
  3. Korina, I remember that lunch we had with Edith Maxwell a couple of years ago when you were a newbie. And I look forward to hanging out with you this year...not to mention sharing a certain panel with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that was only two years ago. I was so nervous and you all were so nice to me! I'm thrilled to be on a panel with you, Ellen, Gigi, and Tara... although now I'm nervous all over again. I suppose one of these days I won't feel like the new kid.

      Delete
    2. I remember that panel with the hats! You guys were awesome!

      Delete
  4. Despite ten years of writing, I have never attended a conference! Need to remedy that in the near future. Have a wonderful Malice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can. It's an expense, but totally worth it to meet online author friends face to face, get to hear the interviews of some big names, and meet readers. I feel like it made so much difference in my writing life (as well as my personal life).

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to miss Malice again this year. I do have hopes for next year, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see you! This will be my 24th Malice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're practically an OG. I'm so excited to see you again.

      Delete
  7. Great write up of a great conference, Korina. See you there in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you'll be there, Molly! I'll have to look up your panel. I love to listen to you speak.

      Delete
  8. Sounds great, Korina. Good luck with your nominated book.

    ReplyDelete