Monday, April 8, 2024

The Vintage Bookshelf: Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart

By Shari Randall

 


Welcome to another edition of The Vintage Bookshelf. Today we’re getting swept away by the remarkable Mary Stewart’s Madam, Will You Talk

 

“The whole affair began so very quietly.

 

When I asked my friend Louise if she would come with me on a car trip to Provence, I had no idea that I might be issuing an invitation to danger.”

 

Honestly, who could resist these opening lines?

 

British writer Mary Stewart is well-known as the author of 1970’s mega-selling Merlin trilogy that began with The Crystal Cave, but before that blockbuster she wrote novels that were a tasty gothic blend of mystery and romance. One of my favorites is Madam, Will You Talk (1955). I still find it difficult to believe that Madam was Stewart’s first book – her evocative opening lines, mastery of setting and characterization, gorgeous prose, and breathless plot are enough to make some writers (ahem) green with envy.

 

Let’s look at the book as writers, shall we?

 

Are there issues? A few teensy ones and one antiquated trope but …let’s start with the good stuff.

 

Her New York Times obituary quotes Melanie Reid of Glasgow’s Herald: “Mary Stewart sprinkled intelligence around like stardust,” and it’s true. The chapter headings in Madam, Will You Talk are from Chaucer. This fan felt smarter with every page turn of the book.

 

Stewart’s prose and descriptions of her setting are nonpareil. Yes, I’m throwing in some French terms. Reading Mary Stewart does that to you. (see above.) Her lavish prose does more than justice to her glamorous settings – it makes one long to visit. If there’s one word for her prose, it is seductive. You cannot resist. Don’t even try. Just sink in.

 

Here’s her description of Avignon (page 26):

The city is dominated from the north by the Roche des Doms, a steep mass of white rock, crowned by the cathedral of Notre Dame, and green with singing pines. Besides the cathedral, taking the light above the town, is the golden stone palace of the popes. The town itself is slashed into by one main street, the Republic, which leads from the main gate, straight up to the square. 

 

“Green with singing pines!” Magnifique!

 

Her characters and characterization are well done, and are definitely from the romance world. Here’s one character: 

 

His clothes, his air, no less than his voice, were unmistakably French, and he had that look of intense virility and yet sophistication – the sort of powerful, careless charm, which can be quite devastating.

 

Devastating indeed! Swipe right!

 

Madam’s main character, Charity Selborne, a young war widow, is bilingual and knowledgeable about architecture, art, literature, and fashion, plus she can handle a sports car, something her deceased war hero husband taught her. She manages all this without being “sympathetic,” “feisty” or irritatingly perfect. 

 

Is the plot irritatingly perfect?

 

One plot element, the enemies to lovers trope, had me tearing my hair out, but it is a staple of Vintage Bookshelf  romance novels. There were plenty of overheard conversations. Were there too many coincidences? Perhaps. All right, yes. However, the bold actions the heroine takes, which would make her TSTL (Too Stupid To Live) in lesser hands are the result of an admirable emotional motivation and clever plot.

 

No matter. The setting and characters are so finely drawn you won’t mind any bumps in the road to Avignon. Revel in the beauty of the prose. Resistance is futile. Few writers can cast a spell like Mary Stewart.

 

Have you read any books by Mary Stewart?


Shari Randall is the author of the Agatha Award-winning Lobster Shack Mystery series and, as Meri Allen, the Ice Cream Shop Mystery series. 

 

 

 

 

 

21 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinApril 8, 2024 at 1:54 AM

    I remember books like The Hollow Hills, but I tended to read Phyllis Whitney books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read three Phyllis Whitneys in 1975, when my wife thrust them on me.

      Delete
    2. Love Phyllis Whitney, too! She may pop up on the bookshelf soon! Shari

      Delete
  2. I have not read any of Mary Stewart's books, but I think I need to correct that oversight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really can cast a spell on the reader.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shari, I checked my reading list. I have read 9 different Mary Stewart novels, two of them twice (The Gabriel Hounds & The Wicked Day). The earliest was as a freshman in college (Aires Above the Crowd) and the most recent was in 2000 (The Prince and the Pilgrim).

    I also enjoyed Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, which I read in 1997.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mists of Avalon - that was wonderful! Jim, have you been keeping track of your reading for decades? (Not surprised) My daughter's been doing that since she was in high school, along with notes and ratings. I'm just not that organized! Shari

      Delete
    2. I started keeping track at the beginning of high school and have kept it up. It's not 100% accurate, as I occassionally forget to record something, but it's interesting to have.

      Delete
  4. I remember that when I was reading the Merlin stories, I would look up from the book and be amazed that I was in my own living room, not the hills outside Camelot. She has a magic way with descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it - a magic way with description. I read her and I'm in awe.

      Delete
  5. I read all of Stewart's books and preferred them to Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney. And then I discovered Helen MacInnes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Helen MacInnes! Where should I start?

      Delete
  6. I loved Mary Stewart as a teen and younger adult. Read her right alongside Phyllis Whitney and Daphne duMaurier. I think The Moonspinners was the first I read, and I continued through four of the five Merlin books. Never did read the last one. I think by then I had moved on to mystery. Thank you for the trip down Memory Lane. I may have to pick up Madam, Will You Talk. I don’t think I ever read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just glad that I enjoyed the book. Sometimes books we loved when we were teens are suddenly problematic when we're adults.

      Delete
  7. I've read all of her books, also Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitney, Daphne duMaurier, and others. I still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of my favorite authors! They blended mystery and romance so beautifully.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Shari, for the walk down memory lane. It was books by Mary Stewart, Phyllis A. Whitney, Helen MacInnes, and Victoria Holt that inspired in me a love of mysteries and a desire to travel. My aunt gave me a copy of "Mistress of Mellyn" by Victoria Holt. My mother raised her eyebrows until my aunt assured her it was okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just see those raised eyebrows!

      Delete
  9. Hi Shari, if my mother read it, I would read it. Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney were just a few. My mom loved to read and had stacks of books. They weren't her TBR pile, she read them. I read Nancy Drew, but I read Mom's books too. Thanks for sharing this. You brought back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved all those authors when I was growing up. Also, Jim, I loved "The Mists of Avalon." I have been afraid to go back and read them because often those books from long ago aren't so great when you've grown up a lot. What do you think, Shari? Should I try one?

    ReplyDelete