Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Bending Some of the Rules by KM Rockwood

We’re all familiar with various “rules of writing,” from various sources.

The concept of “show, don’t tell” is often attributed to Russian writer Anton Chekov, who said, “Don’t tell me the moon is shining. Show me the glint of light on broken glass.”

Painting a picture with words encourages readers to picture the scene in their minds, creates a bond with between reader and author, and serves to carry the story along vividly.

At the same time, I realize that some of my favorite authors do a lot of telling in their work, and it works well for me. I love Margaret Yorke’s psychological suspense, and when I started looking at her writing, as opposed to just reading it, I was surprised at how much telling she did. She has a real knack of swooping up volumes of information succinctly and spreading out an entire character or visual scene with just a few sentences or paragraphs. Action scenes and dialogue is interspersed seamlessly, and the tale proceeds merrily on its way.

Which brings us to the tenth of Elmore Leonard’s “Ten Rules of Writing.” He tells us to skip writing the boring parts.

One quick tell, “The next morning..,” can cut through an entire boring show of getting up, attending to daily hygiene, fixing coffee, etc. I know that when I get started trying to establish a scene like this with shows, I end up with a tedious recital of morning routine. And I should just skip the boring parts.

Even there, I’ve seen exceptions. Don Westlake’s Dortmunder series, the genial, uncomplicated getaway driver Stan Murch is given to mind-numbing descriptions of what routes he’s taking and why. It is pretty boring (and I do skim over it) but it’s such an appropriate way to show his character that it’s essential to the story.

Kurt Vonnegut has “8 Basics of Creative Writing.” He starts with “Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted,” and proceeds to seven more. However, he concludes with an addendum: “The greatest American short story writer of my generation was Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964). She broke practically every one of my rules but the first. Great writers tend to do that.”

Henry Miller has one rule I know I should embrace, but haven’t. I always have myriad ideas and ventures floating around in my mind, often several active projects at various stages and a few on the back burner. One bit of advice he offers is “Forget the books you want to write. Think only of the book you are writing.” I’m sure adhering to that would greatly improve both project completion and my satisfaction in my writing.

19 comments:

  1. Debrs H. GoldsteinApril 9, 2024 at 4:49 AM

    Excellent advice, but I think the idea of writing the best book now without thinking about a future work is what I need to embrace. Thanks for pointing the different rules and options out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have so many bits of stories in my mind that I have to read the last thing I wrote to remember what I'm working on.

      Delete
  2. My recollection is that a saying, which I am probably butchering is attributed to Picasso: learn the rules like a pro so you can break them as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one a lot, Jim!

      Delete
    2. Yes, you have to have mastered the rules to get to the reasons behind them, at which time you're able to achieve what you want, either within or without the rules.

      Delete
  3. Excellent advice. I need to print out the one by Vonnegut and post it above my computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posted inspirations and reminders go a long way to clearing my mind when I get totally befuddled.

      Delete
  4. I love the "skip the boring parts" reference. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing sends a reader away quietly but completely like tedium. Our readers are intelligent people; we can trust them to figure out lots of things that would be boring to read.

      Delete
  5. I endured critiques from readers who want to know everything: why is your MC wearing a fleece jacket? What color is it? Isn't it cold enough for a parka?

    My response: I skip the boring parts for the benefit of the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some rules that need to be broken. Just because a church official years ago said not to end a sentence with a preposition, people think that it is chiseled in stone. Trying to rewrite a sentence to eliminate a preposition at the end makes for a very convoluted sentence. so let’s ignore the edict to not end the sentence with a preposition. All in favor, break the rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, we need to question what norms we pay attention to.

      Delete
  7. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 9, 2024 at 10:55 AM

    The advice about not getting lost in the future book is pertinent to everyday life, too. I'm doing a meditation program right now that cited a study saying we spend more than 50% of our lives thinking of the future or the past...Yikes! Meanwhile, the days go by...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I'll have to pay attention to how much I think about the past, too.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful KM – and so true. All rules are meant to be broken in the right context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules are definitely made for a purpose, and once we understand the purpose of a rule, we can make the decision to break it.

      Delete
  9. I always like the way you write your posts with great style and interesting topics, KM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way our blogging community shows such diversity yet comes together so well.

      Delete