Saturday, April 6, 2024

Don't Fence Me In by Mary Dutta

When I think of writing critiques, I think of Butch.

Butch is the contractor who has done all the work on my house for the past few years. A while ago, I asked him to give me an estimate on replacing the aging fence around our backyard. He took a long look and asked: Do you need a fence?

And you know what? It turns out I don’t. I don’t have a dog. I don’t have young children. I don’t have anything to hide from the neighbors. So, I had Butch remove the fence and now my yard looks much better.

The point of this story, apart from the importance of an honest contractor, is the importance of considering someone else’s perspective. For writers, that can be especially true, particularly when a work is in progress. Authors can access those outside perspectives from a variety of sources, like critique groups, manuscript swaps, and beta readers.

The value of eliciting others’ perspectives was made clear to me in the first critique group I joined. A fellow writer was developing a character she meant as a love interest for her protagonist, but everyone else in the group thought he was creepy. That response gave her pause, and a chance to improve her manuscript. Other insights helped members strengthen unconvincing motivations and correct wonky timelines. My own writing has definitely improved when trusted readers have pointed out issues I was blind to as the author.

A critique relationship can last for years, or be a one-time thing. It can morph over time. I’ve been in and out of a few different groups. I still ask a friend from my very first writing class for feedback on my stories. That class was a long time ago now, but her insights are always fresh.


It’s not that writers should yield to every reader’s (sometimes conflicting) opinions. But we should remain open to examining our works from perspectives other than our own, and to working on perfecting the perspective we’re trying to share.

If we erect fences around our writing, treating it as something precious that needs to be protected from constructive criticism, it may never become the best version it could be. Better to throw open the gates to other viewpoints and embrace the opportunity to improve.

And if you’re ever looking to tear down a literal fence, I’ve got just the guy.

10 comments:

  1. Debra H. GoldsteinApril 6, 2024 at 4:07 AM

    Excellent point. Being open to other opinions and thoughts can help strengthen one’s darlings. Ps, I could probably use Butch’s contact info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. When I started writing, I joined a critique group called The Cincinnati Writers Project. As I became a better writer what I learned was to listen to everyone's critique, but if two or more people mentioned the same thing, I had a problem--even thought often their diagnosis of the problem wasn't accurate, they had sensed an issue I needed to address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my critique group. We've been together for years and have developed a level of trust that allows us to be brutally honest when necessary without anyone taking it personally. Sometimes I'm uncertain about something I've written but can rest easy, knowing they will let me know if it really works or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Critiques come all ways--the spot on, the clueless, and the "I hate your main character." I'm grateful for the first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I have been in some critique groups, but it's been a while. I am so grateful for my trusted beta readers. They keep me on track and are always willing to perform a second read. I really like Butch – you are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,
    You make an important point. If two or more people in a critique group make the same observation, it's time to consider what they're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 6, 2024 at 11:16 AM

    What a fabulous analogy! I've yet to find a critique group that works for me because I'm too "instant gratification" oriented. Like Kait, I have a great group of beta readers who serve the purpose. I heard a suggestion from an author that I think I'm going to start using—a critique group for the outline/synopsis. Hopefully, that will help catch plot and character problems before I've gone so far into the draft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great metaphor and trusted critique groups are a gem. I have to say, though, I can't show my work in progress. I don't write linear enough. It's not done until it's done. That's when my betta reader comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made excellent points. Some writers are really reluctant to show their work to others. That’s unfortunate, because they’re missing out on getting valuable feedback. Sometimes we don’t see things in our own writing. I once had an agent ask me, Are you purposely trying to make your character sound old. That stung, but I realize that the cultural references I was using did not fit with the age of my main character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting different perspectives is so important! I've been pulled up short a few times when people point out to me that a character I think is brave & long-suffering is really more of a whiney, self-centered being who just never outgrew teenage angst. (Sometimes I wonder what that says about me.) But I listen, and usually, I end up agreeing with the critics.

    ReplyDelete