Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Write Your Books by Martha Reed

A writer friend of mine unexpectedly died this month. Her Celebration of Life was well organized and very well attended. While listening to the many heartfelt songs, poems, and tributes, I was overwhelmed by the volume of non-writerly activities she had supported in her daily hours.

She was a driving and volcanic force behind a spiraling galaxy of vital community, social and political activism, and grant-writing and fund-raising efforts. She was a professional mediator who helped troubled teens. She was a powerful advocate for women and families in need. Her friendships were true blue, deeply felt, long-standing, all-encompassing, and diverse. She took advantage of every opportunity to travel to distant shores and exotic lands. She founded the first writer’s group I joined, ushering newbie me into a community of creative fiction writers that sustains me to this day.

I left her celebration dazed, wondering where I had parked my car and thinking: “Holy heck, when did she sleep?” Sliding into my car, I reviewed my life feeling like a slacker until it dawned on me that she had never completed the manuscript of her debut novel. Now we will never know what could have been written. Death has taken her pen.

This end result raised a few questions in my mind: Gabriel Garcia Marquez told his sons to destroy his final unfinished novel. The manuscript was too rambling; it had too many pieces; it was too scattered. He had run out of creative editing lifetime. Despite his direction, his sons are readying it for publication. What are your thoughts on this posthumous publication?

After author Robert Ludlum died, author Brian Freeman was approached by the Ludlum estate to continue writing the Jason Bourne series. How do you feel about an author completing or extending another author’s series post-mortem?

How about taking a dead author’s characters and using them for entirely new creative fiction? Is that a respectful acquisition, or an aggressive hijacking?

This reflection on an author’s unfinished work isn’t a judgment or a justification. We all write on borrowed time. The clock is ticking. I get it. Sue Grafton never finished writing her murder mystery alphabet by publishing “Z.”

Writing a full-length novel is a daunting task. It daunts me every time I start drafting a new one. The spur in my giddy-up is that I simply can’t fathom doing anything else with my earthly time. Every time I begin, I stop and wonder: Is it time to hang it up, to find something else to do to fill my Book of Hours, to quit doing this? Then, as I meditate on the joy the act of stretching my human imagination to its outermost limits and finding exactly the right words to add to my latest story brings me, I open my laptop and begin.

When it comes time for my celebration of life, I want my family to hand out cupcakes and bookmarks, and perhaps in some future time some reader will open one of my books and from the other side, I’ll speak again.

Still not convinced that our books are our timeless legacy? Click this link to hear Dame Judy Dench recite a Shakespearean sonnet and enjoy hearing The Bard’s voice speak to us with modern relevance from roughly four hundred and thirty years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_X1dbO-quI

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Heather - good morning! The universe gave me a lot to think about with this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure how I feel about someone else writing my stories after I'm gone. I guess I won't care because...well...I'll be gone.

    Thought provoking post, Martha. And I'm so sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annette. Agatha Christie made her decision when she wrote Curtain: Poirot's Last Case. I remember readers were shocked when this book came out!

      Delete
  3. When an author creates a cast of characters that can successfully live after they are no longer available to write their stories, I'm all for someone else taking up the mantle. From my perspective it's no different than having multiple authors write the Hardy Boys series or employing different screenwriters to create episodes in a great TV series. I do, however, think if an author doesn't want something published, their wish should be granted. I know all the stories about great works that would have been lost, but it's still book piracy to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Jim! W. I agree that as long as the author consents it would be similar to George R.R. Martin or Ann Cleves handing off the Game of Thrones or Vera Stanhope story lines to the TV series writers production teams due to time constraints.

      Delete
  4. Debra H. GoldsteinApril 23, 2024 at 8:09 AM

    Condolences on the loss of your friend. Your blog raised several questions for me to ponder. Is super involvement in other activities a message that sometimes satisfaction or fulfillment comes from something other than writing? Maybe not writing daily or often reflects one’s true desire ( especially if one has already had a taste of publication). But, if one writes, is the work personal? There have been excellent writers who pick up a series and write in the same style and it works well, but other times it feels like fan fiction with an element missing. Most readers won’t care as the characters continue having adventures, but as a purist, I would rather the series either remain intact or only be continued if there are new adventures that ring true to the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra - re: picking up a series, I have a foot in both camps. As long as that was the original author's stated intent, so be it. That said, I picked up a posthumously finished novel and found the new narrative "voice" jarring even though the substitute writer had followed the plot outline. I can also appreciate readers and fans wanted more of their beloved characters. It's a puzzle.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. She contributed so much to so many. She will be missed.

      Delete
  6. Thought to ponder. But for the survivors. We can make our wishes known, but as Annette says, once we're gone, we're gone. And we leave our stories behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if we write paranormal? Can we come back and protest? Hey! There's a story idea.

      Delete
  7. Lori Roberts HerbstApril 23, 2024 at 11:37 AM

    What a lovely tribute to your friend, Martha. And I appreciate the philosophical pondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori - I had inklings of these ideas during COVID-19. The Celebration of Life really brought them home. Isn't it funny how our life work becomes and reflects our life?

      Delete
  8. Boy, what a lot of questions to think about, especially at my age. So sorry about your friend. What a thoughtful life, and her decisions at the end of her life, as well as throughout, shows what an amazing person she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan - thank you. Yes, she was an amazing person. I've been blessed knowing many such amazing people in my life.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this thoughtful piece, Martha. For the link to Judi Dench reciting the sonnet, too. Off to ponder, then to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly - Isn't Dame Judy a hoot. I just love how sassy and robust she is, especially remembering Shakespeare's sonnet at hand. I can't remember where I parked my car. LOL

      Delete