Monday, January 15, 2024

The Dreaded First Blog of 2024

 The Dreaded First Blog of 2024 by Debra H. Goldstein

I hate writing the first blog of a year. There are so many possibilities – all of which feel trite and boring. 

For example, I could address whether I made any New Year’s resolutions and, if I did, which ones I’ve already broken or disregarded. Other options might include my writing plans for the year (unknown), projected travels (does going to a show out-of-town or babysitting count?), speaking engagements (there are a few of those coming up but they aren’t until March or April so why talk about them now?), or conferences I plan to attend (up in the air). If I get desperate, there’s always my health or the weather, but both might change before the blog appears.

Nope, none of these will do. 

In an ironic way, this state of malaise is akin to what many writers feel when staring at a blank page. What words can fill it? Will they have value to a reader? Will they satisfy the writer? Who knows? Who cares? Each writer must try … as must I.

Have you ever felt at a loss of words or thoughts?



14 comments:

  1. Many times, Debra. I call it "floundering." Much of my year is up in the air, too. I'm focused on revisions right now, so I'm not at a loss for words, but come March, I'll need to think about starting a new book. Hopefully, I won't be at a loss for words then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, I am sure, knowing you, a day or two will pass and the words will come.

      Delete
  2. Sending you a virtual hug, Debra. When I find myself unable to find words, the root cause is often that I have stopped finding joy in what I am doing. Even when I recognize that I am in a funk (a less charged word than depression) it can be hard to pull myself out. When I do, it's because I found something joyful to experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, you are so right. When writing is going well, I'm always in a sense or spirit of joy. When I'm not writing, there are other factors invading my mind and well being. Eventually, they all sort themselves out and the writing flows.

      Delete
  3. A common phenomenon. I usually decide to do something I enjoy (like reread a favorite book--reread, so if I get inspired I don't feel compelled to finish the book right now to find out what happens) and sleep on it. Jim's notion that finding joy is a key to resuming work is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KM, I fully agree with Jim and you.

      Delete
  4. Me too, Debra. I'm kicking around ideas now for a new book and a post for my own blog. It's always a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But when it comes together, it is a joy... and the challenge recedes from our minds.

      Delete
  5. I've hit a major, plot-changing scene and need to think about it during my dog walk this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I've heard that from other writers. They say taking a walk or somehow communing with nature opens their minds to brainstorming - or sometimes the one thought that makes a difference.

      Delete
  6. Um . . . er . . . loss for words is my constant companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But eventually, you seem to find them. Congrats on your newest book.

      Delete