Tuesday, January 23, 2024

New Year, New Novel: Charging Ahead by Martha Reed

“The only thing harder than finishing your new novel is starting the next one” – Martha Reed

Wintry gale force winds are whipping the Allegheny River into meringue peaks as I write this blog. Both cats (Bailey and Moe) are curled up like commas in their fleecy beds, dreaming fierce jungle cat dreams as they snooze by the gas log fire. I bundled into four layers with boots and trudged out to get the mail, but that’s my outdoor adventuring for today. I’ve balanced my checkbook and scheduled February’s bill payments. In other words, I’ve cleared the deck and it’s time to face with mingled anticipation and gut-wrenching dread The Moment When I Must Start Writing My Next Book.

Every writer has a different way of getting started. Do you imagine yourself bodily leaping off a cliff yelling “Look out below!” Or is it a calm, unrippled initiative where you simply open a blank Word document and type Chapter One. I imagine Jane Austen wrote this way. I’d love to hear how you get started in the Comments.

When I think back to my first Nantucket Mystery, I recall that I spent months writing the first chapter. That was before I learned that chances are I’ll either edit the first chapter beyond all recognition or delete it altogether. I know now it’s not important where I start. The vital thing is to commit to the project and get started. It’s best to just get on with the job.

I started a new series with Love Power, my fourth book. That first blank page felt as open and vast as the Grand Canyon. What story could I tell that would fill that immense space? As I considered that question, the answer came to me: for Love Power I needed to narrow my storytelling focus down to a close-knit NOLA neighborhood, catty-corner houses on a single street. Characters who had known each other for decades. Who thought they knew everything there was to know about each other. (Spoiler alert: Surprise!) Once I mapped that boundary and hard-coded the limited cast of characters, I simply filled in the blanks.

With Up Jumped the Devil, NOLA Book Two, I felt comfortable expanding the story into other NOLA neighborhoods. I knew the main characters. I had city maps. I felt free to explore, to see where the story takes me (and where it goes).

This leads me to wonder about writers who write stand-alone novels. How do you decide where the boundaries are? Do you create imaginary neighborhoods, whole imaginary towns? When you start a new novel, do you world-build the location and the cast of characters from the ground up?

Word of the Day: Interregnum – An interval or pause between two periods of office or other things.

I’m also curious about when stories get written, the timing of things:

·        When do you start your new novel? As soon as you type “The End” or “###” on the last one?

·        Are you a linear writer who needs to complete one story before beginning another?

·        Are you juggling more than one story at a time, and if so, any advice on doing that?

·        Are you drafting a new story while editing another one or more? How does that work?

What's your process? Inquiring minds want to know.

15 comments:

  1. I'm usually juggling two books at once but in different stages. Drafting one, working on edits for another. Right now, I'm awaiting copy edits on one, I'm on the second draft of another (due March 1), and I'm noodling with ideas for my next.

    As for starting Chapter One of a new book, I usually wait until I've turned in the previous manuscript so I have a few weeks before edits hit my inbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette - good morning! I'm impressed by your ability to juggle multiple creative projects. How do you manage to do this? Do you schedule a specific time for each task every day, or wing it?

      Delete
  2. Compared to many these days, I am a slow writer and I am always juggling at least two books. Today, I'm juggling three.

    The next Seamus McCree is in its last polishing stage before heading to my crack proofreaders. I'm polishing the first novel in a new series before sending it to beta readers, and I have a completed first draft of the second novel in that series to begin editing.

    I am a pantser, so I do start at the beginning of a story and write it until I find the end. Then comes the rewriting. Before I start the first word, I have a good feel for the inciting incident and major problem of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim - I'll ask you the same time management question I asked Annette. Do you schedule time for each individual work or wing it? On another note, do you consider your books to have individual themes?

      Delete
  3. I juggle multiple projects and always have ideas simmering on the back burner before putting them on the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Margaret! If you have multiple ideas simmering on the back burner (I do this, too) how do you know which one to develop when the time comes to start something new? Inquiring minds want to know.

      Delete
  4. I mostly write short stories these days.

    I always have more than one project going; although at different stages. A few percolating on back burners, and one in the active stage. Once I start really writing, I stick with one story through edits, then send it out for critiquing and final editing. Somewhat to my dismay, I have put the other possible stories so completely out of my mind that I have to read my notes, often with a brief beginning and ending, before I can even remember what that story is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. I can even visualize an old-time stove top covered with pots and pans all gently simmering away. Occasionally, I lift the lid to check on things, and maybe give the story a quick stir but when it comes down to really writing it, it gets my complete focus.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to reading your next.

    I'm gradually learning to juggle multiple projects. Some days are better than others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kait. I'm deeply into the research phase, which is my excuse to buy an armload of "research" books, and take a trip to visit New Orleans. All in the name of research, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain, Martha. I was just about to leap into my next Endurance mystery when I got my developmental edits back for "Death in a Ghostly Hue." I've been given a reprieve for a few days. But then I'll have to start writing. And yes, it's painful to start. I'm still in the thinking and not-sure-where-to-go-with-this stage, but eventually it will become clearer. I admire people who can juggle several projects. I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan - I took a breather this time between the two books to write and submit a new short story for the Al Blanchard Award. But that's it! Time to open that new Word file and type "Chapter One."

      Delete
  8. I can only do one book at a time, but I intersperse that with short pieces. For the latter, I keep a folder that I throw ideas or possible places to submit into. That's my relaxation when the book isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra - I have a folder filled with scraps of scenes and even ideas for unfinished characters. It's funny how my subconscious never turns off - when I need a prompt I check my folder and I can find something useful there. It's unorganized but it works for me.

      Delete
  9. I try to leave a week between finishing one book and starting another. I also am usually editing one book while drafting another, which is fine. I allot my writing time and my editing time. But I can't draft two books at once.

    I'm usually a linear writer, but this one I'm working on is jumping all over. I started with the ending, jotted some scenes that have to happen in the middle, went to the beginning, and now I have to stitch it all together. Piece of cake. LOL

    ReplyDelete