Saturday, January 27, 2024

Where Everyone Knows Your Name by Kait Carson


My husband often asks me why I blog. Does it sell books? Do your blogmates share your posts? Do they participate in your social media? What’s the deal? He’s not being rude. He really doesn’t understand why I take the time to write a few hundred words on a monthly basis and then spend time throughout the day responding to comments. We are talking about a genuine rocket scientist here—he doesn’t have a Facebook or Instagram account and knows more about Space X than X.

 I confess, my knee jerk response was along the lines of, “That’s what writers do. It’s not about sales, it’s about catching interest and learning.” And yes, that’s partially true. Like most things, the first response is seldom the complete story. Blogging is time-consuming. The brainstorming, writing, and responding all take away from the next book. So, what’s the real payoff? Sure, there is some exposure. My newsletter program lets me track the numbers of clicks on links I provide. Every month, a handful of folks click on the link to my two blog posts. That’s nice, and while they rarely comment on the blog, they do often send me emails. So, there’s that.

 Humans are social critters. Blog groups help fill that need. My group is very supportive of my writing. They share my posts and often help promote my books. That’s the commercial side. On a personal level…did you ever belong to a club, or build a clubhouse with friends when you were a kid? My blog group serves as my club. It’s the place I go to share my personal life (off the page, of course), the people I turn to for guidance, my cheering squad and problem solvers. They share my joys, my celebrations, my hopes, and my plans. We are in this together. And we support each other.

 In my much younger days, I lived in New Yok City, where my friends and I met often at McAnn's Bar. It wasn't about the drinks. New York City bar prices have always outstripped the finances of the working stiffs. It was about the friends and the camaraderie. A meeting place for first dates safe under the ever-watchful eye of Pete the bartender. Blogmates are like that. They always have your back. We may never meet in real life, but the ties that bind are firm. My first readers, editors, and early reviewers are my blogmates. I trust them implicitly to give me honest feedback, and I return the favor. It’s safe to say I couldn’t do this job without them.

Photo Melissa Askew
on Unsplash

 Why do I blog? It’s my family. I believe the warmth and friendship shows in our posts, and readers and commenters respond to that.

 Happy 2024—may it bring you all you desire.

Kait Carson writes the Hayden Kent Mysteries set in the Fabulous Florida Keys. You can connect with Kait at https://tr.ee/IXf--iU6PD

17 comments:

  1. Yes, all of that, Kait. It's a chance to hang out (virtually at least) with our tribe, because the rest of our day (mine at least) is spent alone at my desk.

    As a side note, now I have the Cheers theme song playing on a loop inside my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly said - and you're welcome for the ear worm :)

      Delete
  2. Everything Annette said (including the Cheers theme song) with one additional aspect for me because, unlike Annette who lives close to where she grew up, I have moved many, many times in my adult life. That means I do not have a lot of friends living near me and my online writing associates know me far better than most of my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I enjoy it. Even if I do go moderately crazy each month trying to come up with an idea & writing it. "Some of my best friends..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made so many online friends by following their blogs. I would be lost without that group. I particularly enjoy being a member of the Writers Who Kill blog group. I don't write a blog. Instead, I interview authors, and enjoy promoting their work. I get to know a lot about these authors.

    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiring way to view blogging! While Annette will enjoy the Cheers theme song for while, it's the visual for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I am at a conference or a book signing, I'm delighted to meet someone I've blogged with or who reads my blog posts - I already feel that I know the person because of the "community" we have. That's the key for me - blogging - whether via authors or readers expands me beyond the walls of my normal existence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As others have noted, writing is a lonely profession. WWK fills the void.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Kait, and totally identify. My fellow bloggers have turned into friends - even if I've never met you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my blogmates! I can't believe y'all put up with me. :)

    ReplyDelete