Thursday, January 18, 2024

A Heartfelt Thanks by Marilyn Levinson

Recently I have become a wanted commodity, after so many years of writing fiction. I am thrilled that in 2024, eight books of mine will be released. Three—a cozy mystery, a romantic suspense, and a middle-grade children's novel—are new; five are reissues. I also have a short story coming out in an anthology. This astounding phenomenon has urged me to look back and give thanks to the two people who have done the most to help my writing career.

When I met Roberta Gellis so many years ago, I was writing short stories and sending them out to magazines. And receiving rejections. The town I lived in didn't offer Adult Ed courses, but Roslyn, a nearby town where I'd taught high school Spanish, did. So, I took a writing course with Roberta. She was a well-known author at the time, best known for her historical novels and she also wrote mysteries and fantasies. In those days, we didn't have the internet, online groups or social media. Unless we were taking writing courses, unpublished writers were pretty much isolated. During the few courses I took with Roberta, she helped me write my first novel, a romantic suspense.

I then wrote a children's novel. Roberta helped me whenever I had a plot problem and did so again when I wrote a third book, which was sold to Holt in 1985. And Don't Bring Jeremy received a wonderful review in Publishers Weekly. I was bound for fame!

Not so. While Jeremy went on to become a nominee for six state awards and I published more books for kids, book sales were few and far between. Roberta couldn't understand why I wasn't more successful. "You're a good, writer, Marilyn," she told me. I believed her because by then we were good friends and I knew she didn't mince words. We would get together every week or so to go food shopping and out for lunch. She taught me how to use a word processor and, through osmosis it seemed, I learned how to write a novel. With each book I wrote, I needed her input less and less, but I valued her friendship until she died.

I decided to try my hand at writing another romantic suspense. And then I wrote a mystery. I sold a few books to small presses. A few publishers presented problems regarding royalty payments. Two went out of business just as a book of mine was about to be released.

I had written three chapters of a book for a new series that an agent considered taking but declined. I sent them to Dawn Dowdle, who liked them and became my agent. She sold the series quickly. I was astonished at how well Death Overdue, the first book in my Haunted Library series, was received. It got a star review in the Library Journal, was an Agatha nominee, and became popular with cozy readers. When I told Dawn I wanted to turn my "children's choice" kids' book, Rufus and Magic Run Amok, into a series, she got me a four-book contract with Level Best Books. My writing career was suddenly taking off, and it was no coincidence that it all began when Dawn became my agent. Alas, she died suddenly two months ago. 

I am grateful that Roberta and Dawn were in my life. Who made a difference in your writing career and helped get you where you are today?


18 comments:

  1. For me, it was a second grade teacher, Mrs. Duchin, who taught me to accept self-criticism (maybe I'll blog about that one day); followed by a sixth grade teacher, Miss Bonda, who had the same confidence in me that my mother had -- I could do anything if I worked at it; .... in terms of publishing, many opened doors for me to squeeze through -- the first publisher for Maze in Blue, the editor who liked my work at Killer Nashville's two page read and a week later bought Should Have Played Poker, and the same Dawn who you wrote about - who took me on as a client and sold my Sarah Blair series to Kensington. For me, it wasn't one person, but a village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people have played a role in helping us to succeed as writers. I also had a teacher who did the opposite.

      Delete
  2. Marilyn, you know I share your pain over losing Dawn. She was a huge influence in my writing career, as was the late Ramona DeFelice Long, who was my first short story editor.

    And, like Debra, I also have a village of Sisters in Crime and Pennwriters who guided me along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with Debra and Annette! And, of course, Dawn was also my agent, and I believe we all miss her every day. Congrats on your huge number of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn was important to many writers. She worked so hard to get her clients contracts. Thank you! I am thrilled that publishers are happy to republish my older novels. Good things come to us writers who persevere.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your 2024 publication list.

    I am one of Dawn's orphaned authors, picked up by Cindy Bullard with eight submissions on hold. I miss Dawn--her patience, humor, and good-natured pep talks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Margaret. Dawn was always no more than a phone call away. I'm glad that you and many of Dawn's authors got agents so very quickly. A reflection of her foresight when it came to taking on authors.:)

      Delete
  5. About fifteen years ago, a friend of mine looked at me and said, "You're a writer." I was astonished. He saw what I hadn't. Ramona DeFelice Long, like Annette, was my first editor. She was tough, but so good to learn from. I miss her. Although Dawn didn't take me on, she talked with me and liked my writing. I was thrilled about both. No professional agent had ever taken the time to take with me and liked my writing! Even though she didn't take me on, I was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, Dawn was like that. She spoke to many writers at Malice, and was always glad to offer advice, whether they were her clients or not.

      Delete
  6. This is so poignant. What a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely tribute, Marilyn. One of my high school English teachers told our class that, in writing, revision is the key to success. Excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. I think we've all learned how important revision is when it comes to writing.

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this tribute to your mentors, Marilyn. It reminded me of my own, to whom I am eternally grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gay. And I'm happy when I'm able to help my fellow writers as I have been doing these past two days.:)

      Delete
  9. I credit the Cincinnati Writers Project, a weekly critique group, for giving me both feedback and encouragement in the first years of my writing practice. Rick Neube was the leader and the time and while everyone deserves credit, he should get just a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete