Thursday, January 4, 2024

Some Simple Revision Suggestions by Susan Van Kirk

 Recently, I revised (over and over) my latest art center mystery, Death in a Ghostly Hue, and it reminded me of some easy fixes I use when revising my writing. Nothing technological. Pretty innovative twentieth century. When I write a rough draft, I use Novelize, and I edit with Microsoft Editor, so, yes, I do use my computer to move ever forward toward revision. But over the years, I’ve used the following simple revision ideas. Maybe they will give you some new thoughts.

I’m also optimistic because the before-and-after photos of my house remind me that I WILL get this manuscript ready for publication.

 

First, the road to revision begins with this:



This is my editor’s Christmas present reminding me that it’s only the first draft, and I shouldn’t cry.

Second, sometimes I write in my living room on the dining room table rather than in my office. When I do, these are the before-and-after photos—minus the empty wineglass—of my revision efforts:





These photos remind me that there will be an end to this revision. I will survive once again.

Third, I often print copies of the manuscript as I’m working on it. Then, I revise using paper copies. At my age, this helps my eyes considerably. And yes, I do recycle the paper. This is the latest pile from my novel revision over the past month.


Once the manuscript is done, I do my own first revisions with a red ink pen. (I just can’t stop being an English teacher.) I make the changes on my final edit copy of the manuscript, putting little sticky notes to remind me where I’ve changed things. This way, I don’t have to read completely back through every page. See the picture below:


As you can see, I ran through two entire pads of sticky notes. I have messy first drafts.

 Once I make these changes, I send the manuscript to four beta readers. Two of them are great at line edits, one is terrific when it comes to finding plot holes, and the fourth is the executive director of the local art center. Since this series is about an art center, she looks at the way I used artistic terminology so I won’t sound stupid. Hey, it works for me.


My beta readers like paper copies, and they use red pens and sticky notes too. As you can see, even after I’ve revised my first draft, they find lots of things to tell me.




 The next non-technological revision idea is a proofread using my daughter’s ruler from elementary school. Since she is now forty-seven, this ruler has been around for a while. Definitely not twenty-first century technology. However, I catch more errors when I look at my manuscript one line at a time, and this helps me focus exactly that way.



Finally, I do go back to technology and use the voice feedback on my computer to read the manuscript back to me. I find more errors this way since I use my hearing rather than my eyes to catch things. It also helps with dialogue. To find this Word voice that will read back your manuscript, go to the review tab at the top and click on it. Then, on the left side banner you’ll see “Read Aloud.” Click on “Read Aloud.” On the right upper part of the screen an arrow will come up to click on and start the reading of your manuscript. You can also pause it there.

 

So, once I’ve done these revision steps, I’m ready to send my manuscript off to my editor. Hope some of these will work for you. It may look like a lot of work, but I want to put out a quality product with as few errors as possible. 


14 comments:

  1. I wish I had time between deadlines to revise so thoroughly and have so many pre-editor eyes on my pages. As for Read Aloud, I love it! I catch so many typos and echoes that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fortunate that you DON'T have time between deadlines, although you're awfully busy too! Yes, I like the Read Aloud program also!

      Delete
  2. It's important to have a process that works. I'm in the process of going through the spit-polish stage in which I search for overused words and phrases and rewrite them. It takes the better part of a week for me to do a decent job at it. This is Thursday and by Sunday I will be done and hate my book. (The first is permanent, the second is only temporary until I, too, do an audio read through.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Jim. I usually look for those things after I write each chapter. Doing it for an entire manuscript would make me temporarily insane. You, I know, are a detail kind of person!

      Delete
  3. What would we do without sticky notes! Susan, you have solved so many problems for me with this post. Why did I never think to mark the pages where I made changes?! Thank you! Shari (who keeps popping up as Anonymous on here. Must change browser)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem, Shari, with anonymous. Now I have to keep putting in "answer with Google account." Geesh. Glad I solved a problem that would save you some time.

      Delete
  4. Great suggestions, some of which I already use. I do paper edits and will try read aloud, though usually I read each chapter to my poodles Jazz and Louie, curled up in their beds next to the kitchen table. Their response is polite but noncommittal. My husband and I share a proof-reading ruler with a magnified center that highlights one line at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I need to check out that proof-reading ruler. Lighter is always better these days! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  5. So detailed....I only wish I followed each of these steps. My aged ruler never comes out of the drawer. Bad on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awfully time-consuming. I rarely see any errors in your writing, so you are doing everything right.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful suggestions! The read aloud feature on Word is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful way to assure that what you submit is in the best shape you can make it. First drafts are usually pretty iffy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right, Kathleen, about first drafts. Destroying mine after I edit is a great way to make sure no one ever sees how iffy it is!

    ReplyDelete