Thursday, January 25, 2024

The Enchanting Footsteps, or Some Things Never Change by Connie Berry


 

Although I’m not sure who said it (maybe me), I love the quote “You’re not a writer because you write; you write because you’re a writer.” Writers will write—even if it’s only grocery lists. Writers must write. Knitters must knit. Painters must paint. Cooks must cook. Creativity comes in so many forms, and our basic, core inclinations usually manifest themselves in early childhood.

That’s why I was excited to recently rediscover some of my childhood stories. My mother was a saver (just on the normal side of hoarder), so they still exist in a box in my storage closet.

Today, just for fun, I’m going to share one of my favorites, “The Enchanting Footsteps,” written, according to my mother, when I was eight. I warn you—it’s pretty racy.

The Enchanting Footsteps

by Connie Ruth Campbell

            Once there was a little princess who had tried for years to find a prince. Now I don’t mean she wasn’t ever asked. The trouble was that every prince that asked her was either too fat, too thin, too greedy or had a beard or was just a young pipskeak or was too old or something. Every day the princess grew sader and sader. Every day more and more princes got disappointed.

One day an old begger came to the door sand said, “Please let me in and you won’t be sorry.” They let him in and he went to the princess and said, “Will you not let me sleep in your bed? You will not be sorry I promise you!”

            So he slept in the princesses bed. At midnight, he got out of bed and walked up to the tower. As he walked the princess lead him. She did not know that he was under a spell and if she followed him he would turn into a handsome prince. He knew this however so he wanted her to follow him. He found an old flute and he started to play. He walked as he played. His footsteps were so enchanting that she followed him. When they got to the top the begger turned into a handsome prince. They got married and lived on forever as the new king and queen. 

                                                                    The End

And it could have ended so badly…

Obviously, I had some inspiration. But reading the long-ago stories that fired my childish imagination, I can see that most of them involve some sort of mystery (no bodies, thankfully). I still like to solve mysteries, and I still like stories that end happily or at least with some sort of resolution. That hasn’t changed either. Here’s my introduction to one of my stories.


For the record, I have no idea why I signed as “The Other.” Probably because it added to the mystery. I’ve always loved mysteries. Now I write them.

What have you been interested in since childhood?

What must you do because it’s woven into your unique personality? We’d love to hear!

______________________________________________________

Connie Berry is the author of the Kate Hamilton Mysteries published by Crooked Lane Books. The latest in the series, A Collection of Lies, will be available on June 18, 2024.





9 comments:

  1. Definitely writing. Like you, Connie, I've been writing stories since my earliest memories.

    Also, I think "The Other" makes a great writing prompt all on its own! There could be a thriller there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a writer ever since I can remember. I was inspired by Jo March (who wasn’t) and I used to dress up in my mother’s wedding dress, sit at my desk, and cover pages with prose – all written with a bold nib fountain pen. When I discovered Nancy Drew, I lost the wedding dress, but I kept the pen. Stories changed from historical fiction to mysteries. No worries about the wedding dress. My mother had cut the train up to cover the dining room chairs – I can’t imagine how many bottles of ink I went through, though. I had a very authoritative hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I organize and plan, setting things up for my family. Every so often, I throw my lists away and write, losing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful post, Connie! As long as I can remember I've loved everything about stories and books. They're the world's magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been writing since I first put pencil to paper, with a sideline into poetry that lasted through college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...what must I do? Does worrying count? I love this post, Connie. I so enjoyed reading your pieces from your childhood. What incredible fun that you rediscovered them. You were born to be a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you were born to be a writer. And you've done so well at it. Congratulations.
    Grace Topping

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, Connie. You're right -- I always felt compelled to write, although who knows why? And mysteries were always what I wrote, from my first haunted house story in the 2nd grade. I still have box-loads of books and stories I wrote a very long time ago, but I haven't read them in forever. This makes me want to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun!

    I know I had tons of old attempts at writing that have been discarded (the day after I moved out of my parents' house, I went by the house, and all my possessions, bed included, were out to be picked up by the trash collectors.)
    But I imagine that's just as well; I would probably cringe if I read any of it now.

    ReplyDelete