Monday, January 22, 2024

In Which I Tackle Technological Challenges by Nancy L. Eady

 I am convinced that most technological items, like remotes, have a gender bias that allows them to work perfectly for males but mess up when females follow the same steps the males did. For example, we have a very scary universal remote. I couldn’t find it while writing this blog, but the Sony remote from our TV (which fortunately we never use) is just as scary-looking.

Using this, my husband can turn on our devices effortlessly. I can follow the same steps, but it won’t work for me. Ergo, it has a built-in gender bias. My husband laughs at me, but I remain convinced.

In an ironic twist of fate, I manage the IT equipment, computers, networks, internet phones, and monitors at my office. I won this honor for two reasons. First, I learned early that 95% of the technological problems that occur with a computer are fixed if you unplug it, wait a little while, then restart it. For the other five percent of problems, I work diligently to be sure we have very good vendors we can call for problems. Second, when IT vendors throw out acronyms or terms I don’t understand, I stop them to ask what the acronyms or terms mean. I’m not trying to make their life difficult, but how can I decide if I don’t understand what they said? Sometimes, it’s funny to see the look on their face as they try to explain a term that no one has ever asked them to define. One word they often use that makes me cringe is “leverage.” “We will leverage such-and-such to accomplish so and so.” Just substitute the word “use” for leverage and you’ve got the meaning down.

But I digress, as often happens. In spite of my technological handicap, besides blogging for Writers Who Kill, I have in the past written two blogs of my own, workingmomadventures.com and footballnovice.com. I accidentally let the domain registration for The Football Novice lapse, and it has been several years since I published more than sporadically in Working Mom Adventures. I want to write more for Working Mom, but when I tried to do a lengthy post last year, I realized that the user-friendly Wordpress.com platform I started out with in 2010 has morphed into something I have trouble using. And because I didn’t renew my domain name for the Football Novice in time, I lost every single one of my football posts. I cannot tell you how much it irritates me to write something I know I have written before but lost. It never comes out the way the first one did, and to me, it’s never as good. I’d like to revive that blog as well, but figured it was hopeless because of the lost posts.

And then, through a law clerk last summer, I discovered “the Wayback Machine.” Located at archive.org, the “Wayback Machine” is “a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.” They started in 1996. Curious, I looked up my old football blog and was thrilled to discover all my posts were there! So I have purchased my domain names back and am working on relaunching the blog, which explains the basic rules of football for new watchers, puts out TV football schedules for the week in the NFL and the SEC at a minimum, and talks about the history of the game. Because I am no match for the WordPress of today, I bought a WordPress manual to start the football blog from scratch (except for the posts, which I will reuse). I am about a third of the way through the manual, which discusses a topic, then leaves you with a checklist to complete from the topics discussed in the chapter.

And therein lies the challenge. In the first chapter, I learned that wordpress.com was not the way to go, but rather wordpress.org. The book thinks it's cheaper. I spent an evening trying to load WordPress onto my computer. I’m still not sure I actually did so, but I finally was able to proceed to the exercises in Chapter 2 and complete them successfully. The book has yet to reach the editing/writing part of WordPress, something called “Gutenberg,” but I have hope we’ll get there eventually because I keep running across sentences like “This is where you’ll find X for Gutenberg, but don’t worry about that yet.”

What does this have to do with writing mysteries? Quite a lot, actually. Yesterday, Sunday, January 21, Sarah Burr published an excellent post, https://writerswhokill.blogspot.com/2024/01/prepping-for-press-in-new-year-by-sarah.html. In it, she offers advice on preparing a press kit for speaking engagements or interviews, which includes adding links in your press materials to your websites. A writer needs a “platform” website for their works to help promote their writing. While neither Working Mom nor The Football Novice will count as “platform” websites, working with them will help me create and publish my platform website when it is time, and give me a wealth of back material.

I’ll let you know once I’m able to write fresh posts for Working Mom. I’m not sure when I’ll make The Football Novice public: either right before the NFL Hall of Fame game in August, or right before the new spring league, the United Football League (created by the merger of the XFL and USFL), starts in March.

What adventures have you experienced in working on your on-line sites? Is there a “one size fits all” manual not restricted to a specific platform? I’d love to hear from some of you who have tackled this challenge successfully to know there’s light at the end of my tunnel.

16 comments:

  1. Googles new "antispam" rules have had me "waste" several hours this month. They included me in the 10% "beta testers" of their new browser that prohibits 3rd-party cookies. For awhile that meant when I commented on this blog, it treated me as anonymous until I found a setting to tell it that I was willing to accept third-party cookies from Blogger (a Google product!).

    I recently travelled down the rabbit hole of "authenticating" my email address for the service that delivers my Readers Group newsletter. They helpfully provided detailed instructions for various domain hosts - but as I used a lesser known (and less expensive organization) to host my websites, I had to dig out the details, discovering along the way that their solution worked only for a completely unsophisticated setup, which mine was not. Fingers crossed, I did it right.

    Technology has done many positive things for us, but simplyfing is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct; technology does not simply much. Except maybe lights. Alexa (when she chooses to listen to me) is pretty good at turning on and off all the lights she is hooked up to.

      Delete
  2. Nancy, your remote story made me laugh. I'm the "techie" in our family, not my husband. He always hits the wrong button on our remote, which results in it not working. I put techie in quotes because I am not. But I know the one button on the remote that makes it work again. Hubby thinks I'm brilliant.

    As for WordPress, it hates me and the feeling is mutual. With Blogger and Wix, I know enough to do what I need to do... until they change something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're all way ahead of me.

    One of the reasons I don't watch TV at all anymore is because it was costing me so much in time and frustration when I did want to watch something and tried to make the blasted thing work (with two remotes needed) that I pretty much gave up. I don't even know where the remotes are any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved to Hulu plus this year, and Hulu has a very simple remote. You might try it. The only downside is that it is kind of small, and we keep losing it in the sofa or blankets on the sofa.

      Delete
  4. I laughed at your post as it often is so true except my hubby is worse than me. I finally learned to unplug his big tv, wait 20 min before plugging back in, and it either reboots perfectly or I need to resynch the remote depending on how many buttons he’d pushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is much easier to reboot if you haven't pressed enough buttons to activate "self-destruct" mode. :)

      Delete
  5. what a story and so happy you "found" your football blogs. Thanks to our kids, who set up our TV, we have three remotes and it only takes me 15 minutes to find a particular soccer game on Peacock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really thrilled when I found them and could print them out. I'm not sure my brain could handle three remotes.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Nancy! Can so relate. I wish there was a master list of how tos, but that would require the tech firms to work together and eschew their "proprietary" bells and whistles that to most of us are little more than a trouble! I love Wix because it is so easy to navigate. Give me drag and drop and I stand a chance. I had opted originally for MailChimp as my newsletter provider, but by the time I got around to setting up my newsletter I needed a PhD in tech. Switched to Mailerlite - they have a drag and drop option.

    Like Jim I recently had to "authenticate" my email, with heart in mouth, I managed to push the buttons and hope for the best. I did receive the much cherished green checkmark. Of course, it didn't seem to matter that my address was already validated. Nope, still had to authenticate. Go figure.

    As for the TV - fugetaboutit. That's hubs territory. I dumped cable long ago in favor of streaming on my Chromebook. I understand "watch next episode." I do not understand why I need three remotes for one CD on the TV. Nope, nope.

    Wasn't technology supposed to make our lives simpler? What happened to that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think simple technology went out the window once Betamax and VHS realized they could make more money from being exclusive than from being able to work on any device. I'm pretty sure there was only one kind of 8 track; the VCR is the first thing I remember with different formats. And I may even be remembering that wrong.

      Delete
  7. Nancy, I definitely agree with you about the TV remote. I just make my husband do it! I’m so glad you were able to access your football blogs. Tell us more about that in future essays! Shari who is listed as anonymous because of some technical issues she doesn’t feel like diving into.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Shari! I certainly will keep you informed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly identify with this. I am the Mac and Apple expert—can almost always figure out how to proceed with the computer and iPhone. But I swear I can't turn on the TV or change a channel. This whole streaming thing has me completely confused. I just want to watch the news, okay??? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're still learning Hulu. Sometimes we manage to find the news.

      Delete