Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Holiday Binge Reading By E. B. Davis

Because I primarily read the mystery genre, during down times I read anything and everything. It’s like eating citrus sorbet between courses or clearing your sense of smell by taking in a whiff of coffee beans. When you read one genre in depth, breaking from the genre refreshes the mystery-clue-finding mindset by turning it off for a bit. Perhaps that’s why I often read romance (especially during the holidays—the more dogs the better). There isn’t any big mystery. From the start you know what will happen. Romance trains you to enjoy how the plot unfolds, not to compete with the author or sleuth to solve the case. Of course, they are predictable.

 

Blog detour: My book group chose to read a book due to its setting in a nearby town (on Hatteras Island). They didn’t realize it was a romance. There was not one good thing said about the book during our meeting. The poor gal who proposed reading the book apologized for her poor selection. Their complaints had some merit (yes, there were some setting mistakes and a few too many coincidences), but all in all, they were not romance readers. I get that, but I was also amazed by their level of disgust. Perhaps because I write, I have sympathy for other writers. I tried to tell them they just weren’t the audience for this book—but I don’t think I got through to them. It’s sad to think that intelligent and educated women couldn’t get past their own tastes and snobbishness to realize that the book had its appeals, but it wasn’t a good read for them. For heaven’s sake—it was cute! Perhaps at a convention of chocoholics, listing the merits of marshmallow topping or caramel syrup is not realistic. But still—I was amazed and a bit humored by their vehemence. End blog detour.

 

Here are a few of the series/books I read: Anne Chase’s Heartsprings Valley Winter Tales, Ana Bisset’s Libby Foster Cozy Mysteries, J. A. Holder’s Michelle Bishop Paranormal Mysteries, JB Lassalle’s Murky Midlife Waters, Emily Oberton’s Hadley Home Design’s Cozy Mysteries, M. J. Caan’s Singing Falls Witches, Kevin Kwan’s Crazy Rich Asians, Janet Evanovich’s The Recovery Agent, Janet Evanovich’s Dirty Thirty, Sandra Kring’s A Life of Bright Ideas, Julie Mulhern’s Only the Good Die Young, Spencer Quinn’s Up on the Woof Top, Ali Rosen’s Recipe for Second Chances, Jen Lancaster’s Housemoms, and Ann Patchett’s The Dutch House.

 

Yes, my list does include more than a few mysteries. But it also excludes those I picked up and put down before I got through twenty percent of the book—there were a few. But here’s one that I wish others would read just so I can get everyone’s take on this book: Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister. I’m thinking of recommending it to my book club, but I’m not sure they would appreciate it. Why? Not only because of their response to romance, but this book combines fantasy/speculative science with mystery. A woman witnesses her eighteen-year-old son commit a murder. She’s frantic to understand why he’d do such a thing and if she was the cause of it by not being a better mother. She finds herself waking up each day in the past searching for clues as to why it happened and how she can prevent it from happening. At eighty percent, I thought I’d figured it out only to be thrown a curveball by eighty-five percent. It’s an interesting read and the solution is worthy of the best mystery readers. Read it, please, then let me know!

 

What did you read over Christmas break?  

7 comments:

  1. I only had a long weekend for Christmas, and I was working on Steve Hockensmith's Partners in Crime, a collection of 5 stories with his Holmes on the Range characters. I kind of liked having the shorter stories to read since I was with my family and not reading quite as much as normal. I didn't have to try to track an entire plot over a longer period of time than it would typically take me to read a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty busy over the holidays, but I did continue my habit of reading a short story every night in bed before I turned off the light. I found "Mistletoe Mysteries: Tales of Yuletide Murders," a book of Christmas short stories by classic mystery authors for my Kindle, and am almost done reading them. They are an interesting bunch; some I liked, and some were had an old rambling style that I found tedious, but I'm reading them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reworking my way through Bobbi Holmes' Marlow House cozy mysteries, (I do that when a new one comes out, although I may have to cut back to doing it once per year), then re-read a science fiction trilogy by A.G. Riddle, The Origin Mystery. The Wrong Place, Wrong Time book sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More TBR --- I went for the long over the holidays -900 pages of Barbra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the middle of reading two books, one electronically and the other in paperback. The electronic is William Kent Krueger's latest standalone, The River We Remeber. It's set in the late 1950s in southern Minnesota. I received the paperback for Christmas. It's Matthew Fitzsimmons Chance. It, like your pick, Elaine, blurs science fiction and mystery. I am enjoying them both, but will withhold judgement until I finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Now I have more to add to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, my TBR is toppled in the first week of the new year! Some great suggestions here, and I’m putting Wrong Place Wrong Time on simmer for later consideration. I decided to clear my Kindle backlog in 2023 and I’ve been more or less successful. I have three books left! I read Linda Rodriguez’s Every Last Secret and loved it. Linda has such a deft hand with character and story. If you haven’t read it, please pick it up. I also read K.B. Owen’s Twelve Thieves of Christmas and enjoyed it. I don’t read many historicals, and I’m glad I picked this one up.

    ReplyDelete